Spaz Camber 2018, or ?

The Ghost

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, but too big for me anyways

You'll get onto a new Camber carbon for close to that amount. Shop around ;)

My 2 cents...

I was looking at getting something a bit more trail orientated but still capable of doing some marathon type riding towards the back end of last year, I looked at the pyga OneTen, scott spark 910 and the spez carbon camber specifically. Giant Anthem I didn't consider because I wanted a little bit more travel than the standard 100mm on the Anthem.

Due to the pyga OneTen being discontinued I really only looked at the spez and the scott, In the end I decided on the Scott (but I took my time) but I couldn't find a 2017 model 910 spark in my size  :thumbdown:  so bought the Spez Camber.  Due to them getting rid of 2017 stock I got it for 45k, and "upgraded" some groupset components and paid just under 50k for it.

I have had it for 3 months, and I am really enjoying this bike (I had a 2012 Scott Spark previously as a comparison).  it climbs really well - especially in technical terrain and descends very well (it allows you to make some mistakes - the bike is a lot more capable than I am).
I thought the entry level Shimano brakes will be a problem but I have not really had any issues and I have ridden some fairly long descends in the Tzaneen area and have had no brake fade or any other issues - I think a helping factor here is probably the 203mm rotor on the front. 

The only issue I really have with the bike is some flex in the front wheel when I stand and pedal which then causes rub on the rotor, this is probably a combination of the wheels only have 24 spokes and me weighing around 100kg.

I went with the 2x11 route (26-36 with 11-42 cassette), because I do predominantly ultra marathon races, i.e. Transbaviaans, Cullinan2Tonteldoos and I wanted to the gear range with some added top speed.  I am not too worried about the added weight of the front derailleur and shifter.  

If you are still looking for a 2017 Scott Spark for the same price as the Camber you can get one from vbike, link here: http://www.vbike.co.za/scott-spark-910-29-2017/

Please let us know what you finally choose.

I will do, its still between these 3:

Spaz Camber

Scott Spark

Trek Fuel EX8

The thing is I just want a bike I can get on, ride comfortably and know that service from the dealer will be good if anything goes pear shaped.

So far Freewheel Cycology have been friendly and helpful and even offered the loan bike and they want to do a fitting first (Next Thursday).

So far they are making it very difficult not to just shop there.

Edited by The Ghost

Well if you keen I can put you in touch with someone who is selling a very nice SC Tallboy 2 CC with Fox Factory suspension and XT 1x11. :whistling:

Edit: oh and carbon hoops!!!

What size is it?

What size is it?

It's a large but the frame's are on the small side.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I got the Spaz Camber and took her for a spin this weekend.
It was great, I really enjoyed it. A lot.

I returned it this morning with a heavy heart, but grateful for the opportunity to try the test bike.

When I started talking to the guy at the shop I discovered that the one I was riding was the Expert version which is R85k, and I would only be able to get as far as the R55k version. The salesman assured me that the major difference between them was the suspension but that really for a social rider on not so hectic trails the difference between them in the ride would be pretty imperceptible.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience that can comment?

I don't want to shell out R55k and find that its nothing like the R85k version.

These are the 2 options for those wanting to check the specs

https://www.freewheel.co.za/bikes/specialized-mountain/camber/camber-comp-carbon-x1-2018/

and

https://www.freewheel.co.za/bikes/specialized-mountain/camber/camber-expert-carbon-29-2018/

post-30294-0-84843200-1517226095_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Ghost

Do yourself a favour and ride the Epic too. The 2018 Epic is far more relaxed than the previous models. Almost feels like the previous Camber.

And shop around. Saw a Camber Carbon at Concept Ballito for R49k. Maybe give them a call.

Edited by GrahamS2

Another question related to this, the test bike had an elliptical chainring - what is the consensus there, good or bad idea? 

Another question related to this, the test bike had an elliptical chainring - what is the consensus there, good or bad idea? 

More threads on this than in an eqyption cotton pillow case....

Search for the 'oval vs round' threads and you will get a really good idea on what everyone here thinks as well as see some very amusing interweb fights. Totally worth the 5 minutes

More threads on this than in an eqyption cotton pillow case....

Search for the 'oval vs round' threads and you will get a really good idea on what everyone here thinks as well as see some very amusing interweb fights. Totally worth the 5 minutes

I found a few, one with about 3 pages of posts, most people seem to like the oval.

I got the Spaz Camber and took her for a spin this weekend.

It was great, I really enjoyed it. A lot.

I returned it this morning with a heavy heart, but grateful for the opportunity to try the test bike.

When I started talking to the guy at the shop I discovered that the one I was riding was the Expert version which is R85k, and I would only be able to get as far as the R55k version. The salesman assured me that the major difference between them was the suspension but that really for a social rider on not so hectic trails the difference between them in the ride would be pretty imperceptible.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience that can comment?

I don't want to shell out R55k and find that its nothing like the R85k version.

These are the 2 options for those wanting to check the specs

https://www.freewheel.co.za/bikes/specialized-mountain/camber/camber-comp-carbon-x1-2018/

and

https://www.freewheel.co.za/bikes/specialized-mountain/camber/camber-expert-carbon-29-2018/

It seems that they share the same frame, tyres, saddle and dropper seatpost. The expert has the Fox 34 fork, Eagle gruppo (1 x 12) carbon rims, better brakes etc. Everything is one or two notches better. Not sure if that adds up to R30k or if you look at it differently is R30k or 50% better.

It seems that they share the same frame, tyres, saddle and dropper seatpost. The expert has the Fox 34 fork, Eagle gruppo (1 x 12) carbon rims, better brakes etc. Everything is one or two notches better. Not sure if that adds up to R30k or if you look at it differently is R30k or 50% better.

Yeah and for R4k I can upgrade to an Eagle x12  - Im just trying to get clarity on whether that is everything from the chain to the shifters or just a cassette or what the deal is. 

That may bring them even closer.

For those following, the upgrade includes the whole lot so really that leaves the wheels and front shock as the only major differences.