Race number print @ home

Sam Laidlaw

45 members have voted

1. 1. WOULD YOU PAY OF A PRINT @ HOME FEATURE FOR RACE NUMBERS?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. HOW MUCH WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO PAY?

• R15
    • R25
    • R30

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you vote no, you still have to select an amount to cast your vote....

I would expect to get a discount if I print my number at home - less cost for the race organiser. It's the 21st century, I'm surprised that this is not already common practice at all races.

If you vote no, you still have to select an amount to cast your vote....

I would expect to get a discount if I print my number at home - less cost for the race organiser. It's the 21st century, I'm surprised that this is not already common practice at all races.

How much do you think the organiser would save on half a piece of paper and a bit of ink? 5c. 20c?

How much do you think the organiser would save on half a piece of paper and a bit of ink? 5c. 20c?

There will be some savings on man power too.

But the value proposition lies with us and they might need to increase resourcing on race day to ensure fewer cheats. So it could cost the organizers a bit more to make it viable and sustainable.

But the saving in time, effort and petrol for me means I’ll be willing to pay a bit to have this option.

Was more thinking the savings from someone manning a booth, time etc. But even if it is only a 5c savings - why should we pay more for it?

This tech for to implement this has been around for ages, movie tickets, concert tickets, etc. So I think for the amount we pay to take part in races, this should be an added complimentary extra - I don't think we should have to pay for it.

Although, as Patch mentioned, the time and effort I would save probably means I would pay for it even though I don't think I should have to.

It's not the ink and paper - it's the setting up of number collections, admin etc etc.  Unless you have volunteers doing the above, I would guess you are in for at least 2 days labour for a team of 3? (6 working days).  That's a fair chunk of change...

Is the idea to print these on standard printing paper? How long would that last af cycling speed? One would need TEX/Fibreglass/Tyvec to print on.

The answer would rather be a more permanent number for the year (will have issues for sponsorship etc), or the better solution is simply to have number collection at the venue before the start.

Hold the phone ! A rider must pay to print his own number ? 

"Yes sir - the entry fee is 250 ronds and you can collect your number from Joes cycles in poffadder. But if that is not convenient for you, you can pay an extra 30 ronds and print it yourself."

Sounds like blackmail to me. They should be reducing the entry fee by 30 ronds if I print my own number.

Your Poll also doesn't work - If i select NO on the 1st question, I still have to indicate an amount on the 2nd question.

Hold the phone ! A rider must pay to print his own number ?

"Yes sir - the entry fee is 250 ronds and you can collect your number from Joes cycles in poffadder. But if that is not convenient for you, you can pay an extra 30 ronds and print it yourself."

Sounds like blackmail to me. They should be reducing the entry fee by 30 ronds if I print my own number.

Your Poll also doesn't work - If i select NO on the 1st question, I still have to indicate an amount on the 2nd question.

Nail on the head. Also had the same issue with the poll. Maybe add an N/A option.

It's not the ink and paper - it's the setting up of number collections, admin etc etc.  Unless you have volunteers doing the above, I would guess you are in for at least 2 days labour for a team of 3? (6 working days).  That's a fair chunk of change...

I agree with the "convenience for us" argument, the "cost for organisers" argument not so much - think its an insignificant portion of the overheads. And often picking up the numbers is an opportunity for the sponsors to get a bit of extra exposure.

I like Pulse's suggestion of permanent numbers - like the one being used by PPA here in the Cape is pretty convenient.

I agree with the "convenience for us" argument, the "cost for organisers" argument not so much - think its an insignificant portion of the overheads. And often picking up the numbers is an opportunity for the sponsors to get a bit of extra exposure.

I like Pulse's suggestion of permanent numbers - like the one being used by PPA here in the Cape is pretty convenient.

This is the long term solution in my opinion too.

The "print your own number", is a quick solution to the immediate problem.

I do think that the organisers are worried about people faking numbers, and would want to put a few extra check and balances in place to reduce this, this extra "QA" might carry extra overhead. So it could be passed on to us. 

I see it like this.

Option 1: R250 - self collect, as always nothing changes.

Option 2: R265 - print yourself.

The original option is still there, so there is no "blackmail" and no "MUST" as some seem to think.

No.

I don't have a printer as I rarely have a need for one.

The quality of the paper will be an issue, with sweat, stretching etc the road will be littered with pieces of paper flying around. I see many cyclists lining up at the start with no numbers then claim it "flew off" legit or not. 

Number collection except for races like 947, CTCT can be done on race day for most if not all races. The exception of collection on race day are CSA Lic riders who only make up a very small % of the total field, CSA and their provincial affiliates need to come to the party and instead of standing round drinking coffee and eating donuts can add a little value and also have number collection. Its not difficult. 

My suggestion. A permanent frame number to be issued and used for the lifetime of the rider. If seeding improves or rider gets older and moves into different age cat the number just follows. How to handle cheats. If a rider pays his entry money for a race his number and race chip is activated for the race. He gets a result. If a rider decides not to pay and he arrives at the start line with his permanent number and race chip not activated for the event he will receive a dq at the race as soon as his chip is picked up. This can be done at a holding pen before the start. Rider goes through pen and chip is picked up if paid. If no payment was received rider is thrown out of race and he receives a 6 months block into any events using the same timing chip. Name and shame works well.

My 2 cents.

Haha, classic. What's next - can I bring my own food and drink, skip the water points, and pay you R50 - R100 for the privilege?

Haha, classic. What's next - can I bring my own food and drink, skip the water points, and pay you R50 - R100 for the privilege?

Do you really think these two are comparable?

Archived