Do you pay at bike parks?

Cois

Do you pay to ride at bike parks?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pay the fees before you ride?

• Yes
    • No
    • I pay after I ride
  2. 2. If you do pay...

• Pay per ride
    • Pay per year if they allow

We pay annual club membership fees but hate riding with boards so dont and face the music if asked.  On the trails in Hilton where there is no membership fee, we make sure we help keep the track clean.  I dont think its a business that will make you a lot of money tho.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We pay annual club membership fees but hate riding with boards so dont and face the music if asked.  On the trails in Hilton where there is no membership fee, we make sure we help keep the track clean.  I dont think its a business that will make you a lot of money tho.

I've never understood this?

It creates drag.... :ph34r:

If people don't pay then they are dicks. Plain and straight. As someone who had a trail operating for a while its a lot of hard work from planning and recon to maintenance to admin. That piddly R30 or R40 or whatever goes a long way to keeping it afloat. 

Candz is right, you won't make a lot of money but you do for the love of cycling..

"I have been toying with the idea of helping a friend build a bike park on the farm, but in the past few days I had to wonder, is it worth it.  Do people actually pay to ride at bike parks?"

If you are thinking of doing it because it is worth while DON'T do it !!

It's a lot of work and headaches.

You do it because you could have some lekker trails and you may just get something back.

Well, we want to make it fun and a lekker place.  And yes it is a lot of work.  So will see if it will happen.  Have a feeling work is going to come in the way and it is on the way to Bronkhorstspruit, and sounds if there is a bike park opening near there in the next few months. So doing homework paid off.  Might think of joining farms, but I see that cyclists (Mountainbikers) litterbugs.  And losing a cow or horse to some ass chucking his trash on the trail will not work.

Do you go to a restaurant, order, eat, drink and then disappear before paying the bill?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Do you go to a restaurant, order, eat, drink and then disappear before paying the bill?

Seems that 1.56% of Hubbers would.

I maintain the trails for Howick MTB Club so lets do the sums .. keeping costs to the bare minimum, on average and being VERY optimistic : 

Trail worker  : R120 per day x 2

Petrol (brushcutter etc) : R50 per day

Tools  : R50 per day (since they are purchased upfront and resused rakes/spade/brushcutter/spray equipment etc etc)

Vehicle use : R50 per day (Often more. Way more)

Misc : R50 per day

Depending on the terrain sometimes we can clear more than a km.. sometimes less than a km. If its a new trail then we can do around 400m per day. If its an existing trail then around 1km per day. 

Total : R440 per day ...PER kilometer ! So a 40km route costs at least R17000 to build. To maintain that route costs around R4000 per month.

Day trail fee is R50 per rider per day. Thats 340 paying riders per month to pay for 1 new route and 80 riders to pay for maintaining that route.

On average our SnapScan pay stations, honesty boxes and day licence outlets generate about R500 per month. That all. 

We rely on riders being honest, respectful and mindful of the hard work and cost that goes into presenting, maintaining and continuing to offer trails that they will enjoy. Unfortunately these riders are in the minority. I would conservative say that 20% of the riders using the trails actually pay. Thats 80% not paying a single cent. 

I used to ride at free trail predominantly.. But I would pay for howick occasionally

Account is on the way 

MOST cyclists have a sense of loyalty to the sport and will pay for it.

The trick is to get them to come.

Good trails, well marked, some easy loops and some technical loops, good safe parking, a little place to get refreshments is a bonus, just some things to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Agree.. but reality is those nice-to-haves cost money. The ideal of build it first and then recover the money is simply not practical for most clubs. 

Trail marking, maintenance, infrastructure etc all cost. Can't get champagne taste for beer money. 

Account is on the way

Lol... Let me rephrase... Occasionally I would ride at Howick and happily pay at the hospital

I also don't get this. The bike board is a easy and simple way to show membership. People are happy to ride a race with a board attached but not use one when just riding ? The principle is simple. I get that its a "hassle" but please do use the board. Its not only so that I don't have to chase after you but its also so that if you have a accident I know who you are !

In Howick's case the persons board is the same board they use for any ROAG event. Your ROAG number is your Howick Club membership number. 1 Board. 1 number. Each year the membership sticker on the board changes, meaning all you have to do is peel off your new sticker and stick it on the board. Done. 

The board also serves as a identification for tracing those riders who transgress any rules (Not directing this at you Candz). Its one of the best ways of holding riders responsible for their actions. 

Lol... Let me rephrase... Occasionally I would ride at Howick and happily pay at the hospital

Avoided that one by the skin of your rinny chin chin ;)

I would have always made a point of paying at Howick and Karkloof. The cleaning ladies at Karkloof were always very helpful and friendly. However, the one thing I did notice when filling in the carbon permit book was that sometimes there would only be a couple of people’s names in the book since my prior visit a couple of weeks before, which indicated that either the trails had no visitors who weren’t members or that there were people abusing the easy access.

I would have always made a point of paying at Howick and Karkloof. The cleaning ladies at Karkloof were always very helpful and friendly. However, the one thing I did notice when filling in the carbon permit book was that sometimes there would only be a couple of people’s names in the book since my prior visit a couple of weeks before, which indicated that either the trails had no visitors who weren’t members or that there were people abusing the easy access.

As much as the remoteness and large area that is available to ride in is the attraction for riders its also one of the most difficult things to manage when it comes to access. The reality is that there are multiple ways to access the routes without paying and people take advantage of this. Some may do so out of simple mis-information or mis-understanding but in today's day and age (where info is easily available) the excuse of " I didn't know" becomes a lot less believable.

That, along with knowing that there are people out there that will go to the effort of avoiding paying their dues, makes me think the incomplete indemnity book is more from rogue riders than anything else. 

I also don't get this. The bike board is a easy and simple way to show membership. People are happy to ride a race with a board attached but not use one when just riding ? The principle is simple. I get that its a "hassle" but please do use the board. Its not only so that I don't have to chase after you but its also so that if you have a accident I know who you are !

In Howick's case the persons board is the same board they use for any ROAG event. Your ROAG number is your Howick Club membership number. 1 Board. 1 number. Each year the membership sticker on the board changes, meaning all you have to do is peel off your new sticker and stick it on the board. Done. 

The board also serves as a identification for tracing those riders who transgress any rules (Not directing this at you Candz). Its one of the best ways of holding riders responsible for their actions. 

I don't get that it's a hassle.

Archived