Woman's health issues

Sven137

When I first started riding my everything was sore. After just riding more often over a period of three months I could do longer and longer rides and the discomfort became less and less. I now ride with standard mens saddles on all my bikes with no problems. I am basically suggesting a balance between a good bikfit...a decent saddle and just time to let the tender bits toughen up.

Edited by blondeonabike

When I first started riding my everything was sore. After just riding more often over a period of three months I could do longer and longer rides and the discomfort became less and less. I now ride with standard mens saddles on all my bikes with no problems. I am basically suggesting a balance between a good bikfit...a decent saddle and just time to let the tender bits toughen up.

Welcome back!

We started the 365 Challenge without you...

i think that people often want a softer saddle because they are sore in the perineum.  But this is counter productive.  A person sits "deep" in a soft saddle and the perineum rubs on the front part of the seat.  One sits on top of a hard saddle with most of the contact on the ischial tuberosities (sit bones), thus freeing the perineum of chafe...

i think that people often want a softer saddle because they are sore in the perineum. But this is counter productive. A person sits "deep" in a soft saddle and the perineum rubs on the front part of the seat. One sits on top of a hard saddle with most of the contact on the ischial tuberosities (sit bones), thus freeing the perineum of chafe...

Absolutely agree

2c from my own experience - before I switched to a shorter stem on my niner, I found myself too stretched out and I was leaning forward and thus putting pressure on my bits, leaving it numb on longer rides. Also as a counter to that I tilted my saddle up a bit - BIG mistake. 

When I switched to the shorter stem a couple of months ago, I forgot to adjust everything, but this week I did level out my saddle and after a 60km ride my backside was sore (lack of saddle hours no doubt for me) but everything else was  intact. 

I still after all these years of being a weekend warrior have fit issues - and I'm still tweaking :( 

• 4 weeks later...

When I started riding it was on men's bikes, men's shorts & yes I suffered really bad that even water hurt but then that's what there was. Riding long distances with many hours in the saddle with the saddle slightly tilted down in the front, yes it helped but still rubbed raw. I then started making my own chamois in my shorts, it all helped !!! ( woman do not need the stitching that all comes to a point in the middle as it was in men's shorts, that was just the wrong spot to sit on for woman) thank goodness we now get women's shorts. Eventually I got a woman's pacific bike, what a difference it all made, with the right saddle, saddle tilt & bike fit it all helped and problems gone. My saddle was never a soft one always hard. So get the right bike fit/position, the right saddle, shorts and then spend many,many happy hours in the saddle.

Edited by The Pink Mouse

Gear change in Mowbray... exact bike fit including pressure sensitive saddle cover thst shows exactly where the pressure is while you're on the bike.