Tarkastad and surrounds

Sepia

Hi All

By any chance does anybody have any gravel road routes out of Tarka in a SW direction?

Would appreciate any help and suggestions in this regard.

Google Maps does not seem to be too informative.

Thanks

Head south out on the R344 towards Mary and Martha (two buttes in the distance) until you get to the control boom, turn right and onto the gravel past Blanco guest farm......follow the gravel road through the gap in the mountains and just pedal, at T-junction, go left....right will take you to Newstead farm, left will take you back onto the R344, left again past Knowsley Farm then left again and back to the boom .......no GPS unfortunately but a glance at Google Earth will show you some great loops in the area.

Some glimpses of the area here...

and here

Edited by capediver

You have a few options , depending how far and where you heading in the winterberg.

Katberg, Adelaide/Bedford or Baviaans. Beautiful area ... we did trip Middleburg, Cradock, Blaco to Hogsback via Katberg ...epic

Thanks guys

@ Tim - Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I have no idea how to work Strava.  I will see if I can get somebody with patience to help me out.  Agree, big country out there and I need to have a looksee.

@Captain - More or less the area I would like to ride. Thanks

@Dean - Thought of leaving my vehicle at Tarka and then riding SW for a bit,  Not too fussed as to where, what or how.  Would like to go to Tafelberg, Tsolwana, Martha and Mary, just take it as it comes.  5 - 10 days at my disposal but definitely NOT racing.

@Diver - will look that place up and if in the right direction,......who knows.

You have a few options , depending how far and where you heading in the winterberg.

Katberg, Adelaide/Bedford or Baviaans. Beautiful area ... we did trip Middleburg, Cradock, Blaco to Hogsback via Katberg ...epic

Captain, this sounds like the plan excluding Baviaans.  Did that on a seperate mission.  It is worth a trip on its own.  Down to Katberg.  Sounds like fun. Excellent choice.

Krans, as Tim said, Big Country out there.  It needs a trip,

Edited by Sepia

post-2696-0-48702000-1517815669_thumb.jpg

could not find any info on the lodge and there was no one around when we went in to ask.

post-2696-0-70229900-1517815576_thumb.jpg

the toads around Tsolwana. You should find out if you can stay with them. The accomodation is right at the gate and is top notch! As I am sure you are aware, it is used for hunting on the one side. But there is great accomodation at the gate with access to long roads. If you care to explore, there were many many tracks around the reserve that were not on tracks for africa, nor on google earth.

post-2696-0-93184300-1517815570_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-51441800-1517815565_thumb.jpg

one of the two sisters. These could be easily reached from tarkastad.

post-2696-0-13049400-1517815915_thumb.jpg

this is a traffic jam in tarkastad. It has two tar roads :)

Interesting little farming town - but not without the usual problems of education and unemployment.

post-2696-0-64431000-1517815920_thumb.jpg

The road to commando drift nature reserve. A bit bumpy in places, but otherwise a great road (some big hills though). More an out and back kinda road.

(PS loved how to road surface changed all the time as an indication of the geology).

my parents took me to Blanco twice, in the 80's.

from what I can remember

*activities = golf/bowls/squash

*riding = horses

*parents activity - kids get looked after and they hit the bar.

if this is still the case, then i need to look taking my kids there!

This is a link to tracks for africa online version. You can get most of the detail - but it does not let you zoom in to see the "smaller" tracks.

But a great tool for planning and such like. and it does most of africa

https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings/item/w152750/tarkastad/

Thanks for this Slowbee.  I am an appie at this computer thing.

Our old family farm incorporated Tafelberg - Thibet Park (Tsolwana) and my old next door neighbors son runs the reserve.  Small world.

He has told me he would arrange it that I ride the reserve. 

Have no plans really just an old nostalgic trip back in time and seeing the things I last saw as a small child.

I know the Queenstown area very well indeed but this are is all newish to me and all the names have changed.