What does it take to get a sub 3?

Fruity

In my road racing years as a vet i was always able to maintain sub 3 or sub 2.30 on flat circuits purely by staying at the best fitness level i could afford with good training . I was able to train a minimum of 60 km daily with a 

100km ride on the weekend .Our training group was all the same strength and all worked hard during training trying to better times and certain climbs that gave us a maximum workout . What Splat said is all relevant and gives the basis for good 100km time . I was never able to do a sub 2,30 on the R4S race as our club was the organizer and we had to be involved with arrangements on the day . We rode the route the previous week to determine marshaling hot spots and road condition and water point set ups . 

I doubt the pro's have done a sub 2h30 R4S. If they have it will have been JUST under. Would be interested to know what the fastest R4S time is.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's the heaviest oke to do a sub 3?

I'm just asking because if I weighed 88 my old mum would be worried about me, at 78 I'd be falling over from weakness and at 68 I'd make a skinny corpse. 

I know my limitations, I will never do a sub 3 - I would be over the moon if I did a 3:30. 

But how many of us larger types have ever hit this target?

Interesting question.

I'd say it's race dependent.

As I said on the first page of this thread, I did a 2:47 at The Fast Flat One from DL* and I'm tipping the scale at around 95kg's at the moment.

Weighing about the same, I did 947 2017 in 3:21 from DL*.

*Note that DL at The Fast One is just the alphabet soup and DL at 947 is for the Double Loop so not really comparable groups.

Sub3 CTCT aka Argus counts the most points as a "sub 3 time" for me :ph34r: 

:devil:

Yeah it's always been the yard stick. You can have done every other race on our calendar but people always ask have you done the "argust" and how fast.

Did a 2:40 something for 94.7 at exactly 94.7kg a few years ago.

Did 3:03 Argus over Ou Kaapse weg (112km) at 94kg

I did my two at 95kg & 97kg.

Definitely not the heaviest of sub-3 riders though.

Edit:

Current 109km route finishing at Greenpoint

I'm just asking because if I weighed 88 my old mum would be worried about me, at 78 I'd be falling over from weakness and at 68 I'd make a skinny corpse. 

I know my limitations, I will never do a sub 3 - I would be over the moon if I did a 3:30. 

2:55 Argus at 94kg.

If you want to do a Sub 3, just get an eBike, seems they are being allowed in road races, unlike disc brakes.

Pathetic, isn't it?

Also, don't forget an asthma pump...

We also need to be more specific about what argus route we comparing times of? The new finish at greenpoint of 109km or the old finish at 105km. The detour over ou kaapse? The detour over boyes drive?( I can't remember what years these were) The short one to end of blue route and back doesn't count(although a lot reckon a sub 1h15 for that one was a "sub 3"

If you want to do a Sub 3, just get an eBike, seems they are being allowed in road races, unlike disc brakes.

But can we pay our entries using bitcoin?

Yeah and then the battery runs out on the way up to Smits. 50km to go on a HEAVY ass log of a bike. No thanks.

Archived