What does it take to get a sub 3?

Fruity

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's the heaviest oke to do a sub 3?

I'm just asking because if I weighed 88 my old mum would be worried about me, at 78 I'd be falling over from weakness and at 68 I'd make a skinny corpse. 

I know my limitations, I will never do a sub 3 - I would be over the moon if I did a 3:30. 

But how many of us larger types have ever hit this target?

That would be an interesting thread actually. Heaviest sub3 CTCT/Argus finisher ever - let's track him (or her?) down. 

I was probably around 96Kg's at the time - done a couple sub 3's - 2:57 / 2:53 / 2:52

Currently making my way down from 105Kg's (got a 7 month old littlie) - at 97Kg's - want to get back down to 92Kg's (where I was last year March)

I'm going to stir the pot a bit.

What does it take to get a sub 3 in a 100+ km road event?

Does training play a role, or is it being the right weight, or is it learning how to ride behind someones wheel?

Stick with the 36 ave guys on the hills. Actually quite simple. The problem is they're trying to drop you on the hills.

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

At 100kg i have gone sub 3 a few times in Gauteng .Usually the hilly events suit me better than the flat windy courses on the east rand.  My best times have been from the slower D,E even F groups that don,t surge that much .The hot starts in A,B and C groups kill me .The key for me is to find a few strong riders that keep a constant strong pace rather than trying to stick with a bunch that surge from the start .Being able to finish strong requires great fitness 

The only race that everybody wants to ride a Sub3 is CTCT.. :thumbup:

And very few can....haha

Just look at the % over finishers

Compare CTCT then to other races....

That would be an interesting thread actually. Heaviest sub3 CTCT/Argus finisher ever - let's track him (or her?) down.

I think I can weigh in on this one (pun fully intended). I finished 947 in 3:36 at 135kg and targeting sub 3 this year (did not do last year) recon I could finish it sub 3 at about 115kg which to me is lean (12% body fat) quite sure over that weight for 99% out there it would be damn near impossible to finish sub3

For me the trick to faster times is to get used to riding for longer periods closer to threshold and being able to hang on when things surge for those 2-3 mins.

Sweetspot workouts, VO2 max etc... get your body and heart used to going full gas. Even if it is only for short bursts at first.

Picking a couple of segments on your training routes and trying to attack them harder / improve your times also helps a lot.

I think I can weigh in on this one (pun fully intended). I finished 947 in 3:36 at 135kg and targeting sub 3 this year (did not do last year) recon I could finish it sub 3 at about 115kg which to me is lean (12% body fat) quite sure over that weight for 99% out there it would be damn near impossible to finish sub3

How "big" are you that 115 is lean?! I'm 1.95m tall and weighing 97Kg's am at 17% body fat (ok, so the itch needed scratching - after dinner, 100.3Kg's, 18.1% body fat)... time to get back on my bike...

How "big" are you that 115 is lean?! I'm 1.95m tall and weighing 97Kg's am at 17% body fat (ok, so the itch needed scratching - after dinner, 100.3Kg's, 18.1% body fat)... time to get back on my bike...

I am 208cm tall and still carry some upper body bulk from rugby playing days, so fair to say "a bit bigger than your average cyclist"

Pardon the dof question, why all the references to Argus and 94.7, when did they become 100k + races?

Exactly, there's Amashova and Tour Durban as well :ph34r: :whistling:

Pardon the dof question, why all the references to Argus and 94.7, when did they become 100k + races?

Argus is 100k + 9k, so...?

1.94m reporting in, weighing in at 85kg. Not climbing as well as in my younger days, but still klapping sub 3s. (Well missed it at Bouckaert Soenen, but hey that was 123km!)

Archived