What does it take to get a sub 3?

Fruity

Tour Durban is 102km I am sure?

And there's the Herald as well, at 106km. If the weather is good, it is not too hard to get a sub-3 there.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argus is 100k + 9k, so...?

Well Ive learnt my new thing of the day early, thank you ????

my whole cycling life I thought it was +/- 95k ☺️

I started cycling about 4 years ago....

My goal was just to get Fit & ride with the Faster Guys in the club.

Starting with zero base seeding, it was very lonely starting in the E,F,G & Q Batches. Also being dropped very early on on training rides was very demotivating. But starting somewhere was the first step.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It takes lots of saddle time, lots of intervals, hill repeats, being dropped, seeing pink elephants, learning every step of the way to get you to that level especially when you have not cycled like this in your life.

Oh yes, a POWER meter helped a great deal from upping your cycling fitness levels in short time.

In 3 years, I now ride A bunch consistently & getting good results too. I weigh 92kgs btw. I have sub 3'd 95% of all the races. Argus &, Ride for Sight eludes me but I will wrong this right.

So, what I suggest is:

1) Strong Will Power & determination to get fitter

2) Solid training plan/ coach (Power meter helps a great deal)

3) Decent training partners/ club to push you pass your perceived limits

4) Lots of training, mixtures of endurance rides & Intervals (Hill repeats) + FTP/ LTT Tests

5) Race plenty, to up your seeding & gain experience of riding in a bunch. (Key to fast times)

6) Weight consistency. Power to weight consistency

7) & Strava  :whistling:

NB - It doesn't get easier, you just get faster!

And there's the Herald as well, at 106km. If the weather is good, it is not too hard to get a sub-3 there.

Amashova is 106? Possible there as well I suppose, it's all downhill to Durban in any case :ph34r:

Then the Mangaung Cycle tour is also over 100km, and it's flat with the exception of 2 bastard hills near the end. :wacko:

hey HdB ... does this statement factor in the 'Upper Valley' route climb ?  :whistling:  back to the Fire Station climb for 2018

Amashova is 106? Possible there as well I suppose, it's all downhill to Durban in any case :ph34r:

Then the Mangaung Cycle tour is also over 100km, and it's flat with the exception of 2 bastard hills near the end. :wacko:

Amashova is 106, yes. There's a few up hills, Fox Hill being quite famous in the race, although I found I battled a bit riding through Inchanga.

You can say that again :whistling:

Amashova is a good place to go for a sub-3, if you can just get over some of the rather nasty climbs in the first half with a decent group.

Mangaung Cycle Tour - everything else is fine, but Albrecht has my number

hey HdB ... does this statement factor in the 'Upper Valley' route climb ?  :whistling:  back to the Fire Station climb for 2018

Which one is the Upper Valley route? 2013 went over what a friend, and PE local, called 5k hill.

Missed sub-3 then by 49 seconds :thumbdown:

2018 route looks the same as last year? Got my sub-3 last year, thankfully we were a few minutes after the big crash in the ladies bunch.

What it takes...not much. get seeded A-H. train Jan-Argus date. 150km a week will be more than enough.

That works out to roughly 21km a day. If I was still commuting to work and back, 16km there and 16km back (through the back roads), then that sounds doable. Unfortunately the crime in the area where I work has increased.

I think I should invest in an indoor trainer 

I don't like the IDT. I'd personally rather go outside and train no matter how *** the weather. 

Maybe try borrow one before shelling out the money...

Which one is the Upper Valley route? 2013 went over what a friend, and PE local, called 5k hill.

Missed sub-3 then by 49 seconds :thumbdown:

2018 route looks the same as last year? Got my sub-3 last year, thankfully we were a few minutes after the big crash in the ladies bunch.

2018 Route attached - last year took us around Valley Road past the 'Ice Rink' - a terrible heart rate chaser so early in the event for the larger heavier pace line type 

Well done on your Sub 3 for that route  :clap:

http://www.heraldcycletour.co.za/system/images/W1siZiIsIjIwMTcvMTEvMTAvMDkvMjQvMTEvNjM4L0NhcHR1cmUuSlBHIl1d/Capture.JPG

Amashova is a good place to go for a sub-3, if you can just get over some of the rather nasty climbs in the first half with a decent group.

Mangaung Cycle Tour - everything else is fine, but Albrecht has my number

That one past Oranje always plays with my mind because I know Albrecht awaits.

And Albrecht is a bastard and a half, never gets easier

Archived