Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

a) NO (as per my previous reply)

b) It is clear from the club email that the increase was "voted in" ... thus discussed and voted for at the meeting.  

From having been at the AGM's before, the "changes" are largely dictated to the members present, and the AGM is a formality to vote in what the committee has decided to do. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should all remember that the Tokai permit is not a Tokai permit but a Table Mountain National Park Permit. So Table Mountain, Rhodes Memorial, Signal Hill, Cecelia Forest and Tokai... If you add all that up you get a boatload of trail, a lot of which is single-track and amazing. 

And if you get 4 people together .. A yearly permit works out to R320 per person 

Indeed, it is a great offering at an awesome price. Even the individual price is a bargain compared to Tygerberms.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I will not be renewing. I only ride conties and hoogies anyways. Then its still about 60+km round trip. Not worthwhile anymore.

Me neither, despite the fact that my office is in century city. Home is in Plumstead, and I get far more enjoyment out of riding on Table Mountain than on TB, personally. Also, a far greater supply of the trails I want to ride. 

I moved from KZN to WC at the beginning of the year, right next door to Majik Forest. I knew about the TB membership but couldn't justify the cost, so I just rode Majik pretty much every weekend. Looking down on the jumps at Bloemendal from the other side of the fence and got a bit envious inside. So I decided I would buy the half year membership in July, assuming it would be less than half price... July came around and it was over R400. Stuff that, I'll have to wait until January. And now almost R800. Nah. I'm done. It's time to get a crew together and build some proper tables and gaps on the top steeps of Majik.

Edited by Christofison

We should all remember that the Tokai permit is not a Tokai permit but a Table Mountain National Park Permit. So Table Mountain, Rhodes Memorial, Signal Hill, Cecelia Forest and Tokai... If you add all that up you get a boatload of trail, a lot of which is single-track and amazing. 

And if you get 4 people together .. A yearly permit works out to R320 per person 

And if u delve on tar a little, the cape point is also on the list

a) NO (as per my previous reply)

b) It is clear from the club email that the increase was "voted in" ... thus discussed and voted for at the meeting.  

It would cost the club nothing to explain the reason for a 18% increase after a number of years of 5% increases, and it's not "moaning" to question it.

Just because something was "voted in" at the AGM doesn't mean it doesn't need to be explained to anyone who didn't attend. Not everyone has the ability to attend but every paying member has the right to know where their money is going to.

I moved from KZN to WC at the beginning of the year, right next door to Majik Forest. I knew about the TB membership but couldn't justify the cost, so I just rode Majik pretty much every weekend. Looking down on the jumps at Bloemendal from the other side of the fence and got a bit envious inside. So I decided I would buy the half year membership in July, assuming it would be less than half price... July came around and it was over R400. Stuff that, I'll have to wait until January. And now almost R800. Nah. I'm done. It's time to get a crew together and build some proper tables and gaps on the top steeps of Majik.

That is ONE way to look at it ....

And YES, most of us ride only a couple of trails that suit our current needs/wants ...  BUT, let's not forget that the Tygerberg Club includes more than 140km of trails.

I can only wish Bottelary had such a stunning combination of trails, that also catered for our 7 year old .... we live much closer to Bottelary than Durbanville ....

Fact is, at this point in time Durbanville offers best value for money for OUR needs ..... 

PS - you guys ARE twisting my rubber arm to move closer to town though ....  :devil:

Let's look at the cost of ONE "fun ride" :

But what If, like myself, you haven't done a single fun ride this year? Then that argument falls flat.

The thing is, for a family of two, next year's price is rough. So people like me just won't buy a permit for the wife, and pay day rates when necessary for her. So the club gets less, as Wifey will on most Saturdays rather do the park run or go to a different trail centre every know and then.

It has reached the point where it's more worthwhile to buy a permit for the closest most frequented trail centre, and then rather pay day permits at different trail centers as you have flexibility. Only once multiple family members go onto a family membership does the value offering change.

That is ONE way to look at it ....

And YES, most of us ride only a couple of trails that suit our current needs/wants ...  BUT, let's not forget that the Tygerberg Club includes more than 140km of trails.

I can only wish Bottelary had such a stunning combination of trails, that also catered for our 7 year old .... we live much closer to Bottelary than Durbanville ....

Fact is, at this point in time Durbanville offers best value for money for OUR needs ..... 

PS - you guys ARE twisting my rubber arm to move closer to town though ....  :devil:

Dude....did about half the Tabel mountain stuff when we did a ride from Rhodes Mem to Tokai and back (only did a short lap of Tokai)...56km round trip only crossing over the odd tar road. If you included the rest of Tokai, then more of the Rhodesm Mem, Devils Peak, TM, Deer Park adn Signal Hill trails you're easily looking at 100km of trail as well.

One thing I would like for Tyberberg MTB club is better communication. I have never received an email about the AGM, etc.

It would be cool if they distributed the minutes of the AGM too via email.

Or is it just me that is missing this?

An explanation of the increased fees would be appreciated. A jump to 18% just doesn't make sense without some sort of justification... Maybe there are some major improvements coming up, then I'd understand.

So why do you not send them an e-mail with your concerns, or even do a post on their FB page with your questions?

I for one also swallows hard at the steep increase, but as I only do a few races during the year, this is money well spent for me.

A year's riding pleasure, where I want to, when I want to, beats the crazy race entry fees and other costs hands down.

So why do you not send them an e-mail with your concerns, or even do a post on their FB page with your questions?

I for one also swallows hard at the steep increase, but as I only do a few races during the year, this is money well spent for me.

A year's riding pleasure, where I want to, when I want to, beats the crazy race entry fees and other costs hands down.

Have emailed, have received zero reply. Can't post directly on thier FB page and comments disabled for the post about fees, so yeah guess that's why people choose to voice their concerns here.

One thing I would like for Tyberberg MTB club is better communication. I have never received an email about the AGM, etc.

It would be cool if they distributed the minutes of the AGM too via email.

Or is it just me that is missing this?

An explanation of the increased fees would be appreciated. A jump to 18% just doesn't make sense without some sort of justification... Maybe there are some major improvements coming up, then I'd understand.

If you are signed up for the weekly news letter, then you would of received notification.

If you are signed up for the weekly news letter, then you would of received notification.

Ah, cool, thanks. Didn't know about the newsletter - will sign up :thumbup:

I didn't say that it wasn't good value for money, I'd just like to know why the increase is so much more than usual...