Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always last to know about these things. What is the klipheuwel trail?

You should read your Friday newsletters.....  :P

New trail in the area between Spes Bona and Occultdale

Entrances at the T-junction between Adderley/Malanshoogte, bottom of Spes Bona & roughly the middle of Occultdale

Non-technical & mild rolling hills so pretty fast riding.

You should read your Friday newsletters.....  :P

New trail in the area between Spes Bona and Occultdale

Entrances at the T-junction between Adderley/Malanshoogte, bottom of Spes Bona & roughly the middle of Occultdale

Non-technical & mild rolling hills so pretty fast riding.

Just be careful in those two little sections where the farmers has build "coffer dams"  next to the fences to control water erosion. Some of the water run off ditches is quite deep / steep and it is on downhill sections. Hit them at speed and you are not prepared for it, an OTB is in your future and possible an injury or two.

Just as a matter of interest, is there a place to report non-MTB things that we encounter on the trails? E.g. I often come across leaking pipes etc. I do my best to report them to a farm hand, but often not sure if the message gets to the right person. Just as a courtesy to the landowners.

OK, so how does the Klipheuwel trail link with existing trails? Seems to be isolated when I check maps? Or is it accessible via the Hoogie/Dairy loop?

Thanks for info guys

OK, so how does the Klipheuwel trail link with existing trails? Seems to be isolated when I check maps? Or is it accessible via the Hoogie/Dairy loop?

Thanks for info guys

The entrance at the Malanshoogte T-junction is about 2km's from the Fair Cape exit so it is slightly off the rest of the trails

Cheers Skubarra.

So just google mapped it. From entrance/exit of Fair Cape loop, it is +-5km down to that tar stretch. But, maybe easier/better to:

a. exit the FC loop past the one farm (continuing down that one small downhill stretch (remember it from one of the races going along there) 33°45'01.8"S 18°36'46.2"E

OR b. the other exit as FC loop hooks a right back toward direction exit (after small vineyard climb/Stone Shed side)? That is a small "dead end" loop if I remember correctly, which exits at Adderley? Then a short ride down Adderley toward entrance......?

Then at end of Klipheuwel loop at Spes Bona....then what? Hook back to Meerendal? Or back same route to join FC loop again?

Will just give it a bash in the next days to check it out.

Edited by mrcg

Cheers Skubarra.

So just google mapped it. From entrance/exit of Fair Cape loop, it is +-5km down to that tar stretch. But, maybe easier/better to:

a. exit the FC loop past the one farm (continuing down that one small downhill stretch (remember it from one of the races going along there) 33°45'01.8"S 18°36'46.2"E

OR b. the other exit as FC loop hooks a right back toward direction exit (after small vineyard climb/Stone Shed side)? That is a small "dead end" loop if I remember correctly, which exits at Adderley? Then a short ride down Adderley toward entrance......?

Then at end of Klipheuwel loop at Spes Bona....then what? Hook back to Meerendal? Or back same route to join FC loop again?

Will just give it a bash in the next days to check it out.

From the Fair Cape exit at Adderley (Stone shed) it's just more than 2 km (I don't think we are allowed to use the other exit you are mentioning).

Think the best place to do an out-and-back "loop" is from the Spes Bona entrance, going out at Adderley and entering at Occultdale again. Out-and-back should add roughly an hour to your ride.

OK. HELP please. I am on Spes Bona road and can't find entrance to this new loop. Don't have a map of trail and there are no markings.....unless I missed it. Can somebody please send a pin or post map so I can pinpoint it more accurately? Cheers

About 500m after you turn onto Spes Bona from the Klipheuwel / Wellington rd, you will see the first A-Frame on your right. It is before the gravel road starts to slant up and starts to turn to the right.

Afternoon

If you take Spes Bona, from Adderley Rd, then you travel as you would normally do towards the exit / T junction of Wellington Rd - it is a little before the T junction, on the left - there is a large A-frame bridge, that marks the start of the trail, the first of a whole lot of bridges :-)

Enjoy.

ps:  for our other hubbers that are not club members, PLEASE respect this is a members-only corridor / trail, and may thus only be used if you're a member, with your membership board fitted to the bike's handlebar. 

post-17350-0-50408500-1559128447_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Captain

OK got it. Thanks boys. Much further along Spes Bona as I thought. But cool. A bit of gravel grinding. Thanks for speedy responses ????

OK got it. Thanks boys. Much further along Spes Bona as I thought. But cool. A bit of gravel grinding. Thanks for speedy responses

Just checking, your name and club board number :whistling:  have fun nice addition to TBMBC   

So, a quick ride report for other hubbers on the new Klipheuwel loop. I left from Hoogies parking.

Total distance: +-66.5km, 1350m ascent, doing Cobra, Welvergenoegd and Fair Cape loop. The new Klipheuwel loop is +-12km with 164m ascent. Cool fun loop, fast and lekka views ( (don't have exact distances as I needed to ride a few detours to find entrance).
I started from Spes Bona. From Fair Cape loop I exited at the Adderley corridor, onto Adderley Road.
The ride to the Spes Bona entrance is +-7km. About 2.5km gentle uphill, then mainly downhill. The Malanshoogte entrance is +-3km (half up and downhill).
Caution 1: Adderley road is used by quite a few cars/trucks going at 100km/h+. At places hardly any shoulder! Spes Bona also has some traffic and is a gravel road (dust!).
You essentially do a big loop around this big blob of a hill, which imo is screaming out for lots of single track ascent/descent tracks. Hopefully farm owners will play ball here if approached? Currently the loop is quite isolated and the traffic situation won't really entice me to combine again with other loops. Riding it on its own: meh
Caution 2: there are some compression dips on two downhills, which can be tricky at high speed. There's a big one at 2.5km in (nearly lost it) and a few more at around the 10km mark.
Enjoy guys and gals

Edited by mrcg

Just as a matter of interest, is there a place to report non-MTB things that we encounter on the trails? E.g. I often come across leaking pipes etc. I do my best to report them to a farm hand, but often not sure if the message gets to the right person. Just as a courtesy to the landowners.

any feedback on this request ?

any feedback on this request ?

Morning Chris

Sorry for not answering this earlier, missed this post.

We have very close working relationships with all of our farm owners and / or management. So by all means, if something is spotted, please do mail us directly at info@tygerbergmtb.co.za

We recently got someone informing us of an injured animal on the farm, where we could fortunately alert the required folk etc.

Sorry for not answering this earlier, missed this post.