Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was riding up to the mast climb from Supertubes, and by the tree just before the big ascent starts a guy and his girlfriend were sitting on the trail fiddling with one of the bikes. Silly me rides up to them and asks them if they need help. At that stage the big guy stands up and asks me for my day pass. He never said anything else. For a split second I was starting to drool at the thought, and then decided he wasn't worth it, and duly presented my permit to be on the hallowed ground I was on.

Rude of him not to thank you for offering help for sure but I do support the request to see your pass. I forgot my board at home a while back, snapsacnned a day pass despite the dodgy reception and got asked for my pass ... Presented it with pride!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Anthem24 said:

Unfortunately many of the members missed this info too, so you may still get some dirty looks or barked at for not having a board when you're on the AB corridor.  

How does the permit putchasing work ?

Starting at either, you need to ride the other before getting to the pay point.

As a member I have not kept current with day pass procedures.  May be handy to know how this one works

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

How does the permit putchasing work ?

Starting at either, you need to ride the other before getting to the pay point.

As a member I have not kept current with day pass procedures.  May be handy to know how this one works

Start at Conties, buy a permit, ride there and/or to Hoogies and buy a permit. Ride Hoogies then ride back to Conties. And vice versa.
There's Snapscan and Zapper in the carpark at both, plus the delis on both ends sell them. If there's not a book with hardcopy permits you're expected to show the receipt on your phone if anyone asks. If someone stops you in the corridor on the way to the second place, you might only have one permit so far, yes -- it is partly an honesty-based system but it's pretty easy to see which direction people are coming from, and they should have that permit at least.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I stand under correction, but is there not a board up that says this route is strictly members only?

I think it was removed, but I've only done it once and didn't notice. Was too busy trying to explain to the club member barking at us that he was misinformed. 

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

Rude of him not to thank you for offering help for sure but I do support the request to see your pass. I forgot my board at home a while back, snapsacnned a day pass despite the dodgy reception and got asked for my pass ... Presented it with pride!

Asking nicely goes a long way. Barking at me as if I'm riding rogue only gets you so far.

3 hours ago, Anthem24 said:

Start at Conties, buy a permit, ride there and/or to Hoogies and buy a permit. Ride Hoogies then ride back to Conties. And vice versa.
There's Snapscan and Zapper in the carpark at both, plus the delis on both ends sell them. If there's not a book with hardcopy permits you're expected to show the receipt on your phone if anyone asks. If someone stops you in the corridor on the way to the second place, you might only have one permit so far, yes -- it is partly an honesty-based system but it's pretty easy to see which direction people are coming from, and they should have that permit at least.

Good luck finding the Hoogekraal coffee spot open. I haven't seen it trading for probably the last 8 or so weeks. Zapper / Snapscan is available, so just scan that in the event they're still closed. 

Side note, but that spot properly run should generate a decent sale turnover on a weekend. But you need a good product and a willingness to make it work. 

Just saying . . .

I honestly don’t have the balls to ask someone to show me their day pass. Tbh I’m not even looking out if people have boards on their bike. It’s just not in my thinking. 

Edited by Bub Marley

I'm going to start riding around and asking anyone who doesn't have a board for their day pass, despite not having a board myself. I'm sure that will go down a hoot. :D

Edited by Robbie Stewart

I also feel that most of the farms are content with the honesty box / snapscan system. So if the honesty box works for the farms, then I don’t see why club members need to patrol the farms. It’s all about honesty. If you wanna cheat the system, then that’s upto you but I’m assuming that if you aren’t a club member you’ve done the right thing buy buying a day pass. I’m not gonna stalk you and ask for proof. 

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm going to start riding around and asking anyone who doesn't have a board for their day pass, despite not having a board myself. I'm sure that will go down a hoot. :D

Jokes aside ....

WHY do people want to ride rogue ??

I am NOT a club marchal, and I dont ask people for their boards or permits .... life is just too short for this ....

But, I do shake my head in amazement when people brag about riding without paying .....

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I also feel that most of the farms are content with the honesty box / snapscan system. So if the honesty box works for the farms, then I don’t see why club members need to patrol the farms. It’s all about honesty. If you wanna cheat the system, then that’s upto you but I’m assuming that if you aren’t a club member you’ve done the right thing buy buying a day pass. I’m not gonna stalk you and ask for proof. 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Jokes aside ....

I am NOT a club marchal, and I dont ask people for their boards or permits .... life is just too short for this ....

But, I do shake my head in amazement when people brag about riding without paying .....

It's got elements of the altruists vs cheaters problem in public good games that the game theorists have played with in a variety of experimental contexts -

I'm in two minds about it - on the one hand if you wanna cheat go for it, on the other hand it damages the collective trust in the system.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

That puzzles me as well. I mean, do they walk into a supermarket and help themselves there as well? To me it's the same concept. You pay to play. The farm is treating access to their land as a business, and it must be respected. Non compliance is criminal at the root of the matter.

To be clear. I have no qualms with having to prove that I paid to ride on the land. I take issue with people being a box about it when they ask, as if I am some criminal element that should be sent straight to Pollsmoor.

17 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

What blows my mind is when people who have been rogue riders for years get made Marshals and get free permits for the year... #FML

I think that's quite clever.

It immediately stops them from being rogue riders, which they would have remained, eliminating confrontation with them AND gives them a purpose. The club gets free labour.

Less rogue riders, free marshals and less confrontation

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think that's quite clever.

It immediately stops them from being rogue riders, which they would have remained, eliminating confrontation with them AND gives them a purpose. The club gets free labour.

Less rogue riders, free marshals and less confrontation

Whilst I catch your drift, these entitled individuals will simply find another way to live life as dishonest dingbats. 

I am no angel, but dammit man, there are people out there intent on getting around or under all structured procedures or rules. That is their "birth right" 🦨

20 minutes ago, Mook said:

Whilst I catch your drift, these entitled individuals will simply find another way to live life as dishonest dingbats. 

I am no angel, but dammit man, there are people out there intent on getting around or under all structured procedures or rules. That is their "birth right" 🦨

Yeah, so instead of fighting them, use them.

They won't change