SA’s most expensive bicycle

Ispeed_V

I'd love to have that new Dogma (not in orange & white)

Because that would mean I'd already have

A house in the Alps

A Porsche

An orange wife with a set of bolt ons

A house in Fresnaye

A BMW S1000RR

A KTM 450 EXC

We're all just a little jealous of the okes who ride those. Admit it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully understand why some things are expensive as there are special materials, technology , RnD etc in high end products.  Sometimes the price tag of a R100k cartier vs a 10K casio for something that does the same thing is crazy but i get that the one item is special, has exotic materials etc. vs just being functional/

But this bicycle thing has me stumped.  Take this bike for R259k and compare it to a top of the line Ducati Superbike also from Italy .  Both have high end parts both have RnD both are cutting edge.  But the one has a motor and capability of reaching R330kmh and accelarating at the speed of sound whilst the other you have to pedal.  

How do they justify the same price tag!!!!

Actually, they don't have to justify the price tag...the oke buying the bike does.

If you find someone that is willing to pay that for a bicycle, ask them why and I guarantee you it will not be the same as any reason given to justify the price tag the seller proposed.

It will be purchased because that person is willing and able, to purchase it at that price.

You will never find a gu buying that bike and then says: well this bike I believe can make me win the Argus...

The danger of people knowing what top-end bikes cost is that all of us who ride bikes may come under attack, I was told this morning at Vida after our ride.

I assumed he was talking about mugging scum, but it seems he was both serious and talking about spouses. 

I reckon this one cost Mr Steinhoff way more...

She smokes. Not smoking hot. Cigarettes. That's an immediate no no for me.

isnt new tech supposed to get cheaper as it gets more widely utilized ? Or is it the advances in carbon techniques that keeps the price high.

I saw my first full carbon bike at my first Argus cycle expo back in 1999. It was a Ferrari bike and the price tag back then was just over R50k.

It would be interesting to compare munufacturing and material cost of a motorbike and a similarly priced bicycle. I suspect the margin on a bicycle is a higher %.

Imo a lot of money is spent in the bicycle industry to buy bragging rights, combined with the belief that more money = a lot more speed.

The downside to the cycling industry is that greedy manufacturers have shifted production to China. The same bragging rights bought with R150 000 can be had for R5000 - hence the high concentration of Cippolini frames around Cape Town.

hence the high concentration of Cippolini frames around Cape Town.

I had a similar thought about De Rosa the other day. There seems to be an awful lot of those suddenly out on the road.

I had a similar thought about De Rosa the other day. There seems to be an awful lot of those suddenly out on the road.

Really wouldn't mind a De Rosa King in red.

product-image-rosso-fuoco-red.jpg

I reckon this one cost Mr Steinhoff way more...

attachicon.gifScreenShot2017-12-11at1.29.01PM.jpg

My pool also looks green like that <_< But the pool shop guys say it will be blue again soon :D

I think she might have to look for a real job soon.

Wasn't what she was doing considered a real job? You can advertise/hire in/from the classifieds in the newspaper like other jobs.............

Let me guess - they were SK's ?

I had the rare opportunity to be on the other side recently. Wanted to get a second bike.

My wife asked why?

I said, well you have two tennis racquets...

When I mentioned to my wife about getting a second bike, she just gave me a squif look. I dare mention that we need another gaming console [emoji32]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'd love to have that new Dogma (not in orange & white)

Because that would mean I'd already have

A house in the Alps

A Porsche

An orange wife with a set of bolt ons

A house in Fresnaye

A BMW S1000RR

A KTM 450 EXC

We're all just a little jealous of the okes who ride those. Admit it.

Nah, I'm quite content with what I have.

Got wife.

I still beat certain segment times on Strava with my Silverback Strela 2.

Getting a new car in the near future, even though it will be a 1.4 hatchback.

Just recently moved into a bigger flat.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind a house in the Alps.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Archived