Hip pain with cleats?

slewk

Agree with Myles. It's a change of bike, so the fit will probably be different, in some way (isn't the Q-factor of a MTB crankset bigger than a road one?) so your body will either need time to adjust, or will want the fit between the 2 bikes adjusted?

(I put a MTB crankset on a CX frame and had knee issues. Swapped it our for a road crank....problem solved. PS I'm a roadie).

What is the Q-factor?

A quick fix would be to lower your saddle 2 - 3 mm .

See if that helps .

Also drop a plumbline from the front of your knee through the ball of your foot .

This done whilst the cranks are parallel to the ground . Use the front foot .

It will determine if you need to move your saddle position forward or back .

These are quick fixes if you can't get to a setup guy and still want to ride .

• 2 years later...

So i mostly ride enduro on flats and i can comfortably ride for 4 hours with decent elevation and no pain (im 32 by the way)

I recently decided to do the argus on a road bike and have been doing a few training rides, yesterday being my first 50k, and im getting a sharp pain in my right hip an hour or so into the ride

Is there anything that would cause this on a road bike, or with the cleats?

Or is this just the repetitive motion that im not used to, as apposed to the start / stop of enduro riding?

I know this issue can be caused by a plethora of things, but was wondering if there is something simple that ive overlooked and could adjust

Luke

Experiment with small changes in the angle of your cleats. I cured all sorts of pain by getting the angle right and I am MUCH older than you.