Latest SS frames

tunariaan

By that stage I just wanted to ride the bike.... waiting for it to be finished, painted etc was killing me.

It did land up with a Black/Kashima Fox 34 Talas 120/160 and internal dropper etc.... But that particular day was all about function!

all bad jokes and fooling around aside ... how about a couple of nice pics please... if not here, then on the Mercer thread would be most appreciated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contraband Rogue. You won't look back.

You got a pic?

Sorry im remote and net net is shyte

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I disagree on the contraband. I’ve looked seriously into buying one previously but for the money a momsen is better.

The geo on the contraband was just odd for me as is the straight steerer on a “modern” bike.

So see if you can find one in the flesh first to have a go on.

But as they say, everyone is different so maybe it’s just me and you end up loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the SS’s I’ve had and loved:

GT peace 9r (canti only frame - was the best for me of the steel)

GT peace 9r’s x2 - disc (great bikes)

Ragley td1 - my current 10 year owned and loved will never sell!

Could of others I’ve had but couldn’t get along with, notably a niner mcr (same as a sir just for gears) couldn’t get used to the geo, frame was on the small side of medium and struggled from day one. Loved it but couldn’t live with it.

So take your time, find something that fits right!

I disagree on the contraband. I’ve looked seriously into buying one previously but for the money a momsen is better.

The geo on the contraband was just odd for me as is the straight steerer on a “modern” bike.

So see if you can find one in the flesh first to have a go on.

But as they say, everyone is different so maybe it’s just me and you end up loving it.

The 1st gen Contraband's had a straight steerer. The later gen had a tapered steerer.

The Rogue and the SIR are actually really similar, but the SIR is better. (I have a feeling the rogue was actually made in the old NINER factory). I have owned both. 

The thing is, replacing a SIR with anything other than a new SIR or a really rad custom bike (think 44 bikes, retrotec/inglis, sklar) is going to be a step backwards. The Momsens are heavy. Even a custom Mercer frame is going to land up heavier than your current bike and building it in Columbus life (equivalent of the 853) will be really expensive.

In my opinion, if you really want to upgrade to something that is better than what you have, contact Calculus bikes. Custom Titanium, designed for you.. 

Loving my ST-F

ccs-58780-0-16613200-1498815809.jpg

Nice bike!

Just not a fan of those taxi tyres.

It could also wannna be a Harley with them white or cream walls  :ph34r:

Personal choice I guess.

• 3 months later...

Um currently on a SIR 9 and it has served me well over a few years.

Im thinking about something new.

Whats new on steel frames..here and abroad.

It must have a biocentric bb or dropout-i dont like a visible tensioner.

Also do any of you ever race a carbon frame SS fulltime and does it hold.

What frames and what tensioners?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This may be a bit late but here goes.

I only race on my carbon SS bike - quick summary:

Chinese carbon CS 057 frame with BB30

Wheels Manufacturing EBB

Carbon Marvel 25mm internal rim, Hope Pro 4 wheel set (front hub Boost)

Rockshox Reba Boost 120mm fork with spacer to run 100mm travel

Either Maxxis 2.35 Ikons or Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron combo

gear ratios run: 34Oval/ 16,17,18,20 depending on course profile.

I have ridden this bike with rigid carbon fork for about a year since April last year. Since March this year had the Reba on. Ridden the bike hard on all types of terrain. Completed Tour de Tuli last year (rigid) and ran it on Joberg2C this year. Definitely a lot faster with the Reba than rigid (but that is another discussion altogether)

Before I get flamed - I also have a first generation Momsen STR with rigid carbon fork. Running 34Oval/16 most of the time. The steel SS is my week/training bike.

The Wheels Manufacturing EBB takes about 10min to set if changing ratios with absolutely no movement so far.

post-35732-0-67176100-1530028888_thumb.jpg

Someone told me the other day his ss has 2 gears, trap en stap. Hahaha

Die meer bekende gesegte is "3 ratte - sit, staan en stoot".[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk