insanity

congarong

You pretty much have to have a death wish if you ride your bike on south african roads. So why do you do it ?

I know it should not be this dangerous and people should learn how to drive but really is it worth putting your life at risk and your families well being ?   smiley19.gif

i read so many stories on this site pertaining to people who have been knocked down, my ex doctor was killed with 4 other road cyclists when a taxi plowed into them. I stay far away from tar and make a serious mission to get to a safe area to mountain bike out of respect for the people that love me and because i like riding my bike.

Even if you train in the early morning there are lots of teenagers and adults coming back from clubs drunk and under the influence of mind altering substances driving like they are on their couch playing Grandtorismo.

Are people in denial ? Choosing to just turn a blind eye and hope it does not happen to them ? i was in Cape town recently on my way to groot constantia driving at the speed limit admiring the immense beauty of cape town, winding down the twisty hill to my destination out of no where a road cyclist overtakes me on a corner ! with on coming traffic coming up the hill .. what the hell ? i was dong the speed limit ....

someone like that comes off in front of me and i am up for murder

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You pretty much have to have a death wish if you ride your bike on south african roads. So why do you do it ?

Stats are still WAY more agains you if you ride a CAR.....so why do you ride a CAR?

So....why do I ride a bike?  Because I want to die with a smile on my face.  Big%20smile

driving like they are on their couch playing Grandtorismo.

More like Grand Theft Auto Dead

I spoke to a guy last weekend who spend something like 4 years in bed after being hit by a truck. He agrees that road cycling is not worth it.

Big%20smile

No Not all of us are as stupid as that cyclist - we all don't have a death wish - we just love riding our bikes - But let me emphasise that I believe its the motoring fraternity that has "no care" about "who else" is on the road save themeselves - If motorists has NO RESPECT for fellow motorists - clearly they have NO regard for us 2 wheelers / see us as a menace and in their way. I agree it is utterly dangerous to be on SA roads but what else are we to do ?? I like mountain biking but prefer road biking. - I never said it will never "happen" to me as it already has and no matter how careful U are - some stupid arrogant motorist ain't far away !!

'DTThumbs%20Up"

Everyone has a different perception of risk and whether something is worth it or not.

When I cycle behind my son I'm super-stressed for him when I see how the traffic behaves.  When I'm by myself in the same traffic I'm fine.

We're not rational creatures but that makes it interesting.

yip !! you pretty much in denial mate..

a car you have an engine so that you can excelerate if you need to get out of trouble, very strong breaks if you need to stop, a protective capsule of metal around you, air bags, four tires on the road and a loud hooter.

I don't ride a motor bike and never will.

?

Stats are still WAY more agains you if you ride a CAR.....so why do you ride a CAR?

?

So....why do I ride a bike?? Because I want to die with a smile on my face.? Big%20smile

Either way you don't win - The cars take you out on the roadDead or Mother Nature takes you out on the Single TrackLOL(or is it just me?). Won't stop me from enjoying myself though.Thumbs%20Up

Big%20smile

?

No Not all of us are as stupid as that cyclist - we all don't have a death wish - we just love riding our bikes - But let me emphasise that I believe its the motoring fraternity that has "no care" about "who else" is on the road save themeselves - If motorists has NO RESPECT for fellow motorists - clearly they have NO regard for us 2 wheelers / see us as a menace and in their way. I agree it is utterly dangerous to be on SA roads but what else are we to do ?? I like mountain biking but prefer road biking. - I never said it will never "happen" to me as it already has and no matter how careful U are - some stupid arrogant motorist ain't far away !!

?

'DTThumbs%20Up"

thats what i said ... my question is why do you still do it knowing this ?

yip !! you pretty much in denial mate..

a car you have an engine so that you can excelerate if you need to get out of trouble' date=' very strong breaks if you need to stop, a protective capsule of metal around you, air bags, four tires on the road and a loud hooter. 

[/quote']

none of which is going to help when you get t-boned by an 18-wheeler articulated lorry?

i pick routes that i know are safe, and times at which it is safe to ride them. i have been taken out by a taxi before and suffered rather horrid injuries. i have also been taken off my bike at gunpoint on the road. will that stop me riding? never.

i agree with joe low on this one.

Mother Nature takes you out on the Single TrackLOL(or is it just me?). Won't stop me from enjoying myself though.Thumbs%20Up

Not just you! Mother Nature has been trying to kill me for ages now! I'm not sure what I did to p!ss her off, but I'm sure getting punished! Confused

Big%20smile

There is risk everywhere congarong, its how you handle the risk that counts.

I think its naive to just go ahead and not take precautions, riding in the dark, rain, busy roads, alone etc is just foolish and its not "if" you get taken out but "when".

All you can do is Limit your risk.

i guess we can all live by the old saying "if you going to be stupid you better be tough"

Big%20smile

'DTThumbs%20Up"

thats what i said ... my question is why do you still do it knowing this ?

It's better than sitting at home worrying your life away. I don't jump robots or stop streets, I ride single file, I concentrate and stay safe most of the time. If I hear a car coming up fast behind me I pull over, same as with a truck(no matter the speed). I don't EXPECT them to get out of my way. I basically respect other road users and LOW AND BEHOLD, I get respect back, lots of smiles, thank you and waves. By you been ultra careful you cut the odds down dramatically of been a statistic. I would urge all cyclists to do so and see the difference it makes. You might use a lot of facial muscles smiling but it does make a difference, remember - to lift your middle finger up at a motorist means you must remove one hand off the handlebars, not safe.Big%20smile Rather smileBig%20smile

i guess we can all live by the old saying "if you going to be stupid you better be tough"

try "nothing ventured, nothing gained"

I'm not going to live in a bubble and worry whens the next car going to hit me or when am i going to be highjacked, i will yes makes sure i ride in not so dodgy areas and if i go alone well it's a chance i take, i love my passion and no idiot is going to make me not ride.

congarong, I think you have ventured onto the wrong forum, rather try something sensible, like discussing cricket on a rubgy forum, or even better try this prank on the runners world forum, start like" why do you idoits run  on the road, its for cars after all?"

The responses so far have been very polite, considering your abrasive style of questioning.

ps.  why do you sit on the couch guzzling beer and fatty foods and smoking, that stuff can also kill you.