Road bike assembly

evanr4

I am looking for someone to build a new road bike for me, new frame and all new parts. I have tried a few bike shops around Cape Town and would consider some of them, but I am looking for someone who pays fastidious attention to detail so that I don't have to worry about the quality of the build. I would prefer to use an individual in and around the Cape Town area but would consider a bike shop if they are generally highly rated.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Pay an extra couple of bucks for shipping and use Anton at summit cycles in JHB.. Only mechanic I can trust 1000% with work, will make sure everything is done right the first time and the right way..

Can't speak to for Cape Town mechanics but I'm sure there will be some suggestions shortly

Mechanics are human, and no matter how good or how much attention to detail, there is always the chance of an issue or two.

Some that come up regularly on the recommended list:

- BMC

- Mark Carr (ex Crown Cycles) operating somewhere in CBD

- and more recently The Gear Change

Hi Evan,

I do builds for cyclists in my free time and I do it because it is my passion and not a business for me.

I live in Durbanville and would be more than happy to do the build for you.

I can also provide some references if needed.

I have many years experience and also owned two bike shops in my day.

So contact me if you want me to do your build.

066 304 2001

Yeh as Thomo said

Mechanics are human, and no matter how good or how much attention to detail, there is always the chance of an issue or two.

Marc Carr, now at East City Cycles

Nils at Woodstock Cycle Works

Jared is the main guy think Rafiq the mechanic at BMC

Justin Tuck, moer strong on the bike, at The Gear Change

Andrew or Andrew at Stoke Suspension

if you keen/happy to learn, and you have patience, i can teach/show you. pm to set this up

John O'connor Cycles in Mouille Point! Seriously professional! They do a lot of high end o bike builds for clients. 

Yeh as Thomo said

if you keen/happy to learn, and you have patience, i can teach/show you. pm to set this up

^^^ good list of the best cape guys

Marc Carr and Jared at BMC have built for me :thumbup:  :thumbup: never had an issues of any kind

Edited by bikebloke

DIY...

No one will love your bike as much as you do.

Also you will know your bike backwards and have the skills to fix it if need be.

I would love to, one of the reasons I would like an individual to do this so that I can be part of the process

Hi Evan,

I do builds for cyclists in my free time and I do it because it is my passion and not a business for me.

I live in Durbanville and would be more than happy to do the build for you.

I can also provide some references if needed.

I have many years experience and also owned two bike shops in my day.

So contact me if you want me to do your build.

066 304 2001

I have sent a PM

Yeh as Thomo said

Thanks, will send a PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have used some of these shops previously. While I don't have an issue with any of them, the more that I think about it, the more I realise that I would like to be involved in the build process. So going to pursue that as the first option.

Do it yourself. There is nothing more rewarding than riding you own home built steed.

There may be one or two tools that you don't have, take it to the bike shop for that

My 2c, is DIY if you're capable. Rope a bike shop in for the bits you can't manage or don't trust yourself to do, IF you can find one that's do that for/with you.

Personally, I'd want to play a big role in putting it together. The satisfaction as you roll out each time will be well worth it.

DIY...

No one will love your bike as much as you do.

Also you will know your bike backwards and have the skills to fix it if need be.

Jip.

I absolutely LOVE building bikes.  

The process.  The anticipation.  The result.

Get the tools.  Google lots.  

Take your time.  

Drink a bottle of wine.

Enjoy the result.