Rouvy - worth the bother for virtual rides?

mecheng89

Don't know but it was only a video to watch while doing the workout.

Ja I get that. I just want something that's going to simulate that gradient and that time.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And how's it going? I've got a mate who's on Zwift and as far as he's concerned Zwift is training. Everything else is just riding. I get that the Zwift programs are great and all. 

I got back on the IDT this week after my place has been Airbnb'd out since December and being sick for a few weeks. I set a (really slow) time on Alp du Huez and that's going to be my benchmark for the year. I want to try to take 30 minutes off that time.

I've favorited a whole load of climbs and I'm starting to tick them off. 5 down about 300 to go. I'm running them at 75-85% of FTP so we'll see.

Oh I haven't signed up yet. Been too busy at work so i've been out on my mtb for nightrides to get my training in. Can't sit in front of a computer 18hrs per day.

I'll get to the sign up stage when I've got a clear run of training so that likely after argust.

But just looking at the capability I'm pretty sold on Rouvy as long as I can import my Today's Plan workout  into it.

PS: Zwift doesn't do road feel as far as I know. I just provides sound effects. For true road feel you need a trainer that can simulate road feel and as far as I know its only the Tacx Neo1 and Tacx/Garmin Neo 2 and 2T that offers that feature

PS: Zwift doesn't do road feel as far as I know. I just provides sound effects. For true road feel you need a trainer that can simulate road feel and as far as I know its only the Tacx Neo1 and Tacx/Garmin Neo 2 and 2T that offers that feature

I wasn't referring to the "rumble" of the road but the "momentum" you get, Rouvy has a different feel.

Can't sit in front of a computer 18hrs per day.

Indeed. IRL beats IDT any day of the week 10 times over.

BTW I'm running rouvy on a mygica android tv box. The primary reason i stayed on rouvy after my evaluation process of the various apps was this reason. I just plug the trainer and fan in and switch apps on the mygica so no faffing with laptops and tables. The mygica has bluetooth so the idt and my HRM link up pretty easily. The whole setup doesn't seem to enjoy having my HRM watch in the room for some reason so that goes to the bedroom while i'm on the indoor sweater.

I suppose in theory you could just install rouvy on an android based tv with bluetooth an have even less stuff to hassle with.

My most important requirement when i started the whole smart trainer thing was to have it be as hassle free as possible without having an actual dedicated pain cave. Which is why I ended up with the setup I have.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I would disagree, you can import many structured workouts in Rouvy and many more standard workouts available, when you do a workout, you can pick any video to play while you do the workouts, last week I picked my Sani2c day 2 video while doing a 1Hr 25 minute workout.

I was thinking the other day Rouvy does not have the road feel that Zwift has, so My short conclusion, Zwift is a Road simulation where as Rouvy has a feel similar to Moutainbiking, just my 2 cents

Yip, just use Trainerday to select a workout and send it to Rouvy. If you are deadset on using Zwift workouts, its fairly easy to replicate a zwift workout using whatsonzwift and trainerday workout creator.

Ja I get that. I just want something that's going to simulate that gradient and that time.

You could always create the route on Rouvy and save it? No video, of course.

I've created a number of routes, including the full Stage 5 of the TOGH this year. Still have to actually ride the entire thing, but that's for next week, after I get back from the Herald.

Indeed. IRL beats IDT any day of the week 10 times over.

BTW I'm running rouvy on a mygica android tv box. The primary reason i stayed on rouvy after my evaluation process of the various apps was this reason. I just plug the trainer and fan in and switch apps on the mygica so no faffing with laptops and tables. The mygica has bluetooth so the idt and my HRM link up pretty easily. The whole setup doesn't seem to enjoy having my HRM watch in the room for some reason so that goes to the bedroom while i'm on the indoor sweater.

I suppose in theory you could just install rouvy on an android based tv with bluetooth an have even less stuff to hassle with.

My most important requirement when i started the whole smart trainer thing was to have it be as hassle free as possible without having an actual dedicated pain cave. Which is why I ended up with the setup I have.

Hehe on heart rate...

I have to wear 2 HR straps

1 x 4iiiii strap for rouvey hr and blue tooth connection with my old power beam (it’s only ant+ not BT)

1 x polar strap for polar flow ( does not talk to rouvey)

Good morning Hubland,

One more sleep until Friday, yay!

I've always been interested in riding real routes indoor. Yeah sure, call me lame, call me whatever you like, but I think it's a pretty useful training tool. I don't live anywhere near CPT, but what if I want to ride up Chappies? 

Anyway, I've heard of software called Rouvy where, naturally, for a fee you can sign up and it gives you the opportunity to do these kinds of rides.

Who has tried it before, and does it work? Can I import rides I've done before? 

there are 3 parts of the argus route that are available to ride on Rouvy .

short route the one they had with the fire +-46 km 

there is also the middle section +-36 km thik its from fishhoek to misty cliffs

then the last section from noordhoek to end +-40 km 

all good quality videos we ride it a few time the wife and i .

Rouvy has so much more routes all over the world with endless possibilities for +-R200 per month for premium subscription well worth it. 

If I am not mistaken, there are a few routes loaded in the Western cape area, I will look and post some links.

Good morning Hubland,

One more sleep until Friday, yay!

I've always been interested in riding real routes indoor. Yeah sure, call me lame, call me whatever you like, but I think it's a pretty useful training tool. I don't live anywhere near CPT, but what if I want to ride up Chappies? 

Anyway, I've heard of software called Rouvy where, naturally, for a fee you can sign up and it gives you the opportunity to do these kinds of rides.

Who has tried it before, and does it work? Can I import rides I've done before? 

there are 3 parts of the argus route that are available to ride on Rouvy .

short route the one they had with the fire +-46 km 

there is also the middle section +-36 km thik its from fishhoek to misty cliffs

then the last section from noordhoek to end +-40 km 

all good quality videos we ride it a few time the wife and i .

Rouvy has so much more routes all over the world with endless possibilities for +-R200 per month for premium subscription well worth it. 

And how's it going? I've got a mate who's on Zwift and as far as he's concerned Zwift is training. Everything else is just riding. I get that the Zwift programs are great and all. 

I got back on the IDT this week after my place has been Airbnb'd out since December and being sick for a few weeks. I set a (really slow) time on Alp du Huez and that's going to be my benchmark for the year. I want to try to take 30 minutes off that time.

I've favorited a whole load of climbs and I'm starting to tick them off. 5 down about 300 to go. I'm running them at 75-85% of FTP so we'll see.

Have you seen the Tortour climbs on rouvy?

Tortour is a Swiss 1000km non stop ultra challenge that climbs 5 passes

Rouvey have organized “group rides” once a week starting on 12 feb, so there are still 3 left.

The routes should be available in the Rouvy library to ride anytime

Sustenpass

Beatenberg to Tschingel

Oberlangenegg to Langnau

Gretchen to Obergrenchenberg

Flacco to Feuerthalen

I've faved a bunch of climbs and I'm slowly working my way through/up them.starting with the easiest ones first.

I'm sure most of those are on my list.

I'm going to download the trail period on Rouvy soon, probably early next week. Does Rouvy have a Zwift type feel in the sense that you just ride some routes or does it have structured videos training specific weak areas like for example: Something to increase VO2 or sprints or whatever? 

I come from Sufferfest and will not consider Zwift (I have tried Zwift in the past - I do not like it)

I'm going to download the trail period on Rouvy soon, probably early next week. Does Rouvy have a Zwift type feel in the sense that you just ride some routes or does it have structured videos training specific weak areas like for example: Something to increase VO2 or sprints or whatever? 

I come from Sufferfest and will not consider Zwift (I have tried Zwift in the past - I do not like it)

Yes, there are many (recommended) routes to choose from then you can search by Country/distance/ average gradient with or without video, you can do them as and when you want to or you can choose to do their challenges and win prizes,  then you have the option to import your own or their workouts. and you can choose any video to watch while doing the workouts.

The nice thing about Rouvy's trial period is that you don't have to furnish them with Credit Card details. Also the $12 membership gives you 3 logins so if you have mates or family members who also ride they can have full access too.

There are structured workouts focusing on FTP etc etc. The missing element is a structured program that tells you what to do on a specific day which is what Zwift has. The zwift programs take the guesswork out of it which is nice but we can all figure out a structured program in 10 minutes if we really want to.

There are approximately 3000 routes that you can just ride on Rouvy. Most have video. Some are better than others. You'll see ratings and comments. I'd advise doing the Augmented Reality routes in your test phase which will give you a nice feel for how it is. You can download the route videos beforehand so if you have a not wonderful internet connection the video won't buffer which i enjoy.

There are also races that you can join. I've never done one but they are available and anyone can schedule a race on any course for you and your mates.

Right now I'm only interested in doing the climbs on Rouvy. I've faved more than 100 and I'm slowly working my way through them. That should keep me busy till the end of the year at least.

Another cool thing is the routes are of real roads. Want to know if you can make it up Ventoux? Jump on Rouvy and see.

Edited by Duane_Bosch