Rouvy - worth the bother for virtual rides?

mecheng89

Wow...Not sure if someone can answer (apologies but these are features Tacx offers):

1. Are their videos 1080P?

2. What does a certified video mean?

3. Their webpage link for viewing the catalogue for AR routes does not work. Is thsi feature only available on selected routes?

4. If for example my son and I ride the same route at the same time each on their own trainer/PC will we see each other in real time and have a go at each other (sort of a race)?

5. Can you download the videos or is it streaming only?

6. Does it automatically upload to Strava?

7. Has anyone have experience on Tacx Desktop App and Rouvy and give a comparison view?

8. Are there enough routes to cover all facets of training (not just pure climbing routes all the time)?

9. Are the routes decent distances (i.e. at least 30km and more)?

Up to 4k

4. If for example my son and I ride the same route at the same time each on their own trainer/PC will we see each other in real time and have a go at each other (sort of a race)?

Should show up together

Download and stream. 2k and 4k gets really big to download.

No. TCX Export. At least on my end.

8. Are there enough routes to cover all facets of training (not just pure climbing routes all the time)?

I found it to be well balanced.

Currently have an 80km route loaded.

At least some answers for you.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...Not sure if someone can answer (apologies but these are features Tacx offers):

2. What does a certified video mean?

3. Their webpage link for viewing the catalogue for AR routes does not work. Is thsi feature only available on selected routes?

4. If for example my son and I ride the same route at the same time each on their own trainer/PC will we see each other in real time and have a go at each other (sort of a race)?

7. Has anyone have experience on Tacx Desktop App and Rouvy and give a comparison view?

Let me try and answer as best I can.

1) yes but not all, lots of them are user routes that were uploaded and made public, you can do it too.

2) They have gone over a user video and made sure its decent quality with all the other goodies.

3)Not all routes are AR.

4) In Rouvy AR you will see each other, not of Rouvy workouts(in workout you see just where in the race the other person on the elevation graph.

5) Yes you can download and ride it later without internet.

6) Yes if you are connected to the internet and linked your strava.

7) Not me.

8) There are literally thousands of routes that were uploaded from all over the world.

9) Yes, you can filter your search from 5 to 150 km maybe even more, with accent or % ave gradient and country.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

1) yes but not all, lots of them are user routes that were uploaded and made public, you can do it too.

2) They have gone over a user video and made sure its decent quality with all the other goodies.

3)Not all routes are AR.

4) In Rouvy AR you will see each other, not of Rouvy workouts(in workout you see just where in the race the other person on the elevation graph.

7) Not me.

8) There are literally thousands of routes that were uploaded from all over the world.

9) Yes, you can filter your search from 5 to 150 km maybe even more, with accent or % ave gradient and country.

Did you connect Strava from the website or inside the desktop app? Or mobile/tablet app? 

I can't seem to find it and the website connection doesn't work.

3)Not all routes are AR.

7) Not me.

Tx for all the feedback!! Appreciate!

Question 4: Am I correct in deducing that you will be able to see each other (i.e. distance ahead/behind) ALL the time but this is seen in two different ways:

i.) As an AR "graphic" rider literally in front of you when doing an AR route; 

ii.) As a "marker" on the elevation graph (in this case does it show how far the person is ahead/behind)?

Edited by pedal menace

Question 4: Am I correct in deducing that you will be able to see each other (i.e. distance ahead/behind) ALL the time but this is seen in two different ways:

ii.) As a "marker" on the elevation graph (in this case does it show how far the person is ahead/behind)?

Correct.

You can try it for free and will likely answer all your questions

Did you connect Strava from the website or inside the desktop app? Or mobile/tablet app? 

I can't seem to find it and the website connection doesn't work.

Go to your profile on the Web and look for Cloud settings, then Enable Strava

post-24414-0-30383400-1598005590_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dexter-morgan

You can try it for free and will likely answer all your questions

Correct, join us for next week's race and see me loose on my own race again!

Go to your profile on the Web and look for Cloud settings, then Enable Strava

odd. Doesn't work. 

It goes to Strava to authorise and then bumps me back to Rouvy and Strava still shows Disconnected.

Correct, join us for next week's race and see me loose on my own race again!

Great stuff...I just subscribed to Rouvy...let this new adventure begin! Will play this weekend and see how one can join races etc. Looking forward to it.

Great stuff...I just subscribed to Rouvy...let this new adventure begin! Will play this weekend and see how one can join races etc. Looking forward to it.

OK..so I purchased/subscribed to Rouvy...and..(and this is just my personal opinion)..it is horrible compared to the Tacx Desktop App. Does not even come close. Guess I need to justify this view right?

1. You are forced to use 2 Apps Rouvy Workouts and Rouvy AR..and a vague promise that at some point the two shall be merged;

2. The UI for Rouvy is generally really bad! OK I am in the IT development business so maybe I am too skeptical here;

3. Nowhere in Rouvy AR I can find a place to choose where I want to download my videos to. It seems to force it to go to my local C-drive (which is a small SDD..so bummer there);

4. Nowhere in Rouvy AR can I seemingly easily see the routes I downloaded with its associated profile (ok a UI thing..again maybe me too skeptical);

5. I cannot seem to be able to see in both Rouvy Apps what my avg speed is whilst training. I have to on screen swithc to it to get a report..that is poor;

6. The videos in Rouvy Workout, even the certified ones, are of absolutely terrible quality. I downloaded the HD (1080P) quality videos..there is no way these are HD. It is at its highest perhaps 480P then upscaled;

7. The videos in Rouvy AR is of good quality..BUT..the side of your screen seems to follow a fish eye lense approach..meaning as you cycle the side of your screen bends the whole time and objects "vibrate"  horribly. Since I ride using a big screen TV..I was seasick after 10 minutes;

Please..this is just my personal opinion after now using Tacx and Rouvy. I now understand why Tacx is so expensive and Rouvy soooo much cheaper. Tacx video quality and UI are leap years ahead of Rouvy..making it light years! So I purchased a full year ($120) subscription from Rouvy (yes my bad!!!!) but I am going to mail them asking of some sort of refund will be allowed. If not..buy buy money..but I am not going to use this App..sorry!

OK..so I purchased/subscribed to Rouvy...and..(and this is just my personal opinion)..it is horrible compared to the Tacx Desktop App. Does not even come close. Guess I need to justify this view right?

1. You are forced to use 2 Apps Rouvy Workouts and Rouvy AR..and a vague promise that at some point the two shall be merged;

2. The UI for Rouvy is generally really bad! OK I am in the IT development business so maybe I am too skeptical here;

3. Nowhere in Rouvy AR I can find a place to choose where I want to download my videos to. It seems to force it to go to my local C-drive (which is a small SDD..so bummer there);

4. Nowhere in Rouvy AR can I seemingly easily see the routes I downloaded with its associated profile (ok a UI thing..again maybe me too skeptical);

5. I cannot seem to be able to see in both Rouvy Apps what my avg speed is whilst training. I have to on screen swithc to it to get a report..that is poor;

6. The videos in Rouvy Workout, even the certified ones, are of absolutely terrible quality. I downloaded the HD (1080P) quality videos..there is no way these are HD. It is at its highest perhaps 480P then upscaled;

7. The videos in Rouvy AR is of good quality..BUT..the side of your screen seems to follow a fish eye lense approach..meaning as you cycle the side of your screen bends the whole time and objects "vibrate"  horribly. Since I ride using a big screen TV..I was seasick after 10 minutes;

Please..this is just my personal opinion after now using Tacx and Rouvy. I now understand why Tacx is so expensive and Rouvy soooo much cheaper. Tacx video quality and UI are leap years ahead of Rouvy..making it light years! So I purchased a full year ($120) subscription from Rouvy (yes my bad!!!!) but I am going to mail them asking of some sort of refund will be allowed. If not..buy buy money..but I am not going to use this App..sorry!

That is why they have the 14-day trial for you to try before you spend all your money, sell your user name to someone else.

That is why they have the 14-day trial for you to try before you spend all your money, sell your user name to someone else.

Unfortunately could not do that..I must have sometime in the past (even perhaps a previous lifetime) registered with Rouvy since it stated I have no 14 day trial period anymore. Sure I could have used a "dummy" username to register but I did not...my bad.. :(

Edited by pedal menace

Rouvy are improving some of their interfaces, but i agree they need to have a reasonably customizeable box somewhere on the screen. You are riding blind apart from your HR. I am sure they will develop something if they receive enough requests. I hope. But being indoors, the speed is not a representable value as you can never be 100% sure of the route, road surface quality, cornering at speeds etc, so you may need to dial back your expectations there.

The fish eye effect is on a lot of videos, but not all. I have a PC secondary screen which does not affect me too much.

I have seen some of the TACX videos and they are nice but expensive and limited.

Yes there are two apps, not an issue for me. They are developing and it will take time on a small scale IT setup i guess they have. They do not have the money of Zwift based on how long it takes them to design. The AR one needs a lot of UI work, but the workouts one has a lot of other interval workouts etc, most without video.

Video quality is a hit and miss from them, i keep the quality low to be in line with my expectations.......

Sorry you did not enjoy it, but i think they will impove some options. As a subscriber, send a list of improvements for them o consider. I will send a list as well generally in line with your comments.

Looks like a two horse race this avie so far Dex!  My money is on you. I will leave my racing legs in the shed today maybe.....

Unfortunately could not do that..I must have sometime in the past (even perhaps a previous lifetime) registered with Rouvy since it stated I have no 14 day trial period anymore. Sure I could have used a "dummy" username to register but I did not...my bad.. :(

Well if I can give them credit it is for their support. I mailed them and they responded very quickly giving me a full refund! Wow..phew!!!