Rouvy - worth the bother for virtual rides?

mecheng89

OK..so I purchased/subscribed to Rouvy...and..(and this is just my personal opinion)..it is horrible compared to the Tacx Desktop App. Does not even come close. Guess I need to justify this view right?

1. You are forced to use 2 Apps Rouvy Workouts and Rouvy AR..and a vague promise that at some point the two shall be merged;

2. The UI for Rouvy is generally really bad! OK I am in the IT development business so maybe I am too skeptical here;

3. Nowhere in Rouvy AR I can find a place to choose where I want to download my videos to. It seems to force it to go to my local C-drive (which is a small SDD..so bummer there);

4. Nowhere in Rouvy AR can I seemingly easily see the routes I downloaded with its associated profile (ok a UI thing..again maybe me too skeptical);

5. I cannot seem to be able to see in both Rouvy Apps what my avg speed is whilst training. I have to on screen swithc to it to get a report..that is poor;

6. The videos in Rouvy Workout, even the certified ones, are of absolutely terrible quality. I downloaded the HD (1080P) quality videos..there is no way these are HD. It is at its highest perhaps 480P then upscaled;

7. The videos in Rouvy AR is of good quality..BUT..the side of your screen seems to follow a fish eye lense approach..meaning as you cycle the side of your screen bends the whole time and objects "vibrate"  horribly. Since I ride using a big screen TV..I was seasick after 10 minutes;

Please..this is just my personal opinion after now using Tacx and Rouvy. I now understand why Tacx is so expensive and Rouvy soooo much cheaper. Tacx video quality and UI are leap years ahead of Rouvy..making it light years! So I purchased a full year ($120) subscription from Rouvy (yes my bad!!!!) but I am going to mail them asking of some sort of refund will be allowed. If not..buy buy money..but I am not going to use this App..sorry!

I like riding on Rouvy, but I agree the user interface sucks - it is chaotic. They are clearly more cyclists who code rather than the Zwift dev team who I imagine have a gaming background, and the routes themselves are largely crowdsourced.

Many of the videos are uploaded by users. I have created + filmed a few myself, but that does mean that their quality is somewhat variable. Read the ratings and reviews to find better routes - as a result there are many more to choose from, but they are not well 'curated' as such.

To address a few of your other issues if they are detracting from the overall experience.

1. Rouvy AR was released earlier this year just before we went into lockdown. Not ideal, but it is a low risk upgrade path for them. I'll complain with you if there are still 2 apps in a year's time.

4. if you click the 'download' button in the AR app you'll see the list of files you have downloaded, and then you need to navigate to each in turn to see its profile. Rather add them to your Favourites and use the Rouvy website to review them. Yes this could be better - the back and forth between website-Rouvy App irritates me.

$$$$'s - rather pay in CZK's - it is cheaper.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like riding on Rouvy, but I agree the user interface sucks - it is chaotic. They are clearly more cyclists who code rather than the Zwift dev team who I imagine have a gaming background, and the routes themselves are largely crowdsourced.

Many of the videos are uploaded by users. I have created + filmed a few myself, but that does mean that their quality is somewhat variable. Read the ratings and reviews to find better routes - as a result there are many more to choose from, but they are not well 'curated' as such.

To address a few of your other issues if they are detracting from the overall experience.

1. Rouvy AR was released earlier this year just before we went into lockdown. Not ideal, but it is a low risk upgrade path for them. I'll complain with you if there are still 2 apps in a year's time.

4. if you click the 'download' button in the AR app you'll see the list of files you have downloaded, and then you need to navigate to each in turn to see its profile. Rather add them to your Favourites and use the Rouvy website to review them. Yes this could be better - the back and forth between website-Rouvy App irritates me.

$$$$'s - rather pay in CZK's - it is cheaper.

Tx...found a good article:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cycling-indoor-trainer-app-guide.html

Looks like a two horse race this avie so far Dex! My money is on you. I will leave my racing legs in the shed today maybe.....

Well done! Absolutely no way I can keep up on the flat and downhill :D

Well done! Absolutely no way I can keep up on the flat and downhill :D

How much do you weigh Hdb? 52 kg, you fly up the hills. I have mass on my side for some areas of riding.

Yet again, we have internet issues at home on the day I organized a race.

Well then, hurry up and fix another race for next week. :devil:

How much do you weigh Hdb? 52 kg, you fly up the hills. I have mass on my side for some areas of riding.

About 70kg. But even at or above my FTP you were still pulling away :)

My dad joined tonight, and managed 3rd - lockdown and my old Tacx Vortex has done him good!

Next week is the start of another SSAT series on Zwift, but I'll join hub rides on Rouvy where I can

Still waiting on TT connect and Afrihost to restore - Sorry about it, I ended up riding a route that I downloaded.

Gonna look for an AR one with a few bells and whistles. Still want to see if the draughting thing works. Have not been able to tell on teh simple routes. Need to read what they said about it. 
PS, i looked for the fish eye on the video of "Gordans Bay  :ph34r: sic" and did not notice anything. I think that is just some stoopid idea from some of the guys shooting videos from their SUVs, which is also wrong in so many ways.

Well if I can give them credit it is for their support. I mailed them and they responded very quickly giving me a full refund! Wow..phew!!!

Wow. Nice for you.

I think I'm going to can my Zwift subscription this week. I enjoy the structured workouts but the cartoon aspect and the same old same old visuals have me watching youtubes while I do the workouts.

I enjoy Rouvy. Somehow the POV views and setting a virtual rabbit to chase allows me to go harder. But Summer is coming, I've got nice new carbon wheels and Suikerbossie is 300m from my front door so maybe a little more IRL with the freebie version of RGT for when it rains will be my go to.

Wow. Nice for you.

I think I'm going to can my Zwift subscription this week. I enjoy the structured workouts but the cartoon aspect and the same old same old visuals have me watching youtubes while I do the workouts.

I enjoy Rouvy. Somehow the POV views and setting a virtual rabbit to chase allows me to go harder. But Summer is coming, I've got nice new carbon wheels and Suikerbossie is 300m from my front door so maybe a little more IRL with the freebie version of RGT for when it rains will be my go to.

Tried Zwift and its fun at first but becomes a borefest after half an hour. Rouvy keeps you locked in and its fun exploring with my TV as the screen

Wow. Nice for you.

Last night downloaded FulGaz and will give the trial period a go! Video quality is GOOOOOD! Yes it does not offer a social side of things (i.e. it is a solo training tool, no network ability to see other riders, meetups, races etc), but if that is not your thing, go have a look BEFORE you give Rouvy a try. If you prefer to have a good UI and VERY good video quality rides (proper 1080P/4K) you should choose between Tacx and FulGaz...just my opinion

Gonna look for an AR one with a few bells and whistles. Still want to see if the draughting thing works. Have not been able to tell on teh simple routes. Need to read what they said about it. 

PS, i looked for the fish eye on the video of "Gordans Bay  :ph34r: sic" and did not notice anything. I think that is just some stoopid idea from some of the guys shooting videos from their SUVs, which is also wrong in so many ways.

I could be wrong, but I think the drafting on Rouvy is currently only enabled on specific races.

Last night downloaded FulGaz and will give the trial period a go! Video quality is GOOOOOD! Yes it does not offer a social side of things (i.e. it is a solo training tool, no network ability to see other riders, meetups, races etc), but if that is not your thing, go have a look BEFORE you give Rouvy a try. If you prefer to have a good UI and VERY good video quality rides (proper 1080P/4K) you should choose between Tacx and FulGaz...just my opinion

I tried Fulgaz. The reason I abandoned it almost immediately is coz the power readings were way off. I was kaaaaaaking. Probably pushing out 400w and the Fulgaz was saying I was doing 150w. And the video I was on (Luz Ardiden) kept jumping and pausing.

It's highly likely the issue was more a function of my trainer/network that the ap. My pain cave isn't right next to the router and I do sometimes experience slow connection. 

I enjoyed Rouvy for a long time before switching to Zwift. The only reason I switched to zwift in the first place was coz my Sani partner was insistent that Zwift is the be all for training and anything else is just pushing pedals in front of a tv.

I agree with most of your assessments. Rouvy is definitely not perfect and does seem a little scattered. But I don't think any of them are perfect TBH.

When it comes to the subscriptions I prefer to go month by month. That way I'm not married to a specific app and I can bounce between them for roughly the same mount of $ each month. The only downside is it will take longer to get the tron bike.

The drafting races are on the weekend. Signed up for the Sunday morning 09:00 one to give it a try. Fairly flat and short rides so should not take more that 25 to 30 mins.