Best Smart trainer

Patchelicious

Best Smart Trainer  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the current best smart trainer from those who have used these?

• Tacx 2800 Neo Smart - R21k
    • Tacx 2900 Flux Smart - R12k
    • Wahoo KICKR 3 - R22k

Where?

I simply used the CWC prices

check with designinmotion cycles Sandton they did a good deal couple of months ago

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the flux on a CWC deal for R9k.  At that price I wouldn't go for anything else.

First run of production seemed to have quality issues (well noted on the web), but post mid 2017 things seem to be pretty reliable.

I haven't used Neo or Kicker but my understanding on the benefits of each is as follows:

Neo: road feel and 'freewheeling' the best of the two units.  Noise level a little lower.  Slightly cheaper

Kicker:  Probably industry leader in terms of quality, design and functionality.  Future proof compatability with kickr climg (if that interests you).  Better intergration with Wahoo computers - if you use Wahoo...

If I had R20k to blow on a trainer (in order):

1:  Spend R10k on Tacx and buy other stuff with the change.

2:  If I could get a deal on the Neo for around R18k I would do it (have seen them around).

3:  If the best pricing on each unit is within a few hundred of each other I would go with the Kickr.

I know the Kicker is a great trainer, but the whine from it drives me mad.  I didn't chose it for this reason alone.

Why is the Elite Direto not on your list?

It's considerably cheaper than the other direct drive trainers as well...

Edit: Definitely spend the money and get a direct drive trainer - it's much better than the ones where the wheel stays on

Edited by Schnavel

I know the Kicker is a great trainer, but the whine from it drives me mad.  I didn't chose it for this reason alone.

Why is the Elite Direto not on your list?

Stupidly overpriced in SA.  If pricing was similar to Europe, where they are priced in line with the Flow, it would be the brainless choice.

Have decided to pull the trigger.

I know that the "best" are the two more expensive ones, but are they twice as good as the FLUX?

Recommended Retail for the:

KICKR 3 - R17,999 incl VAT and free delivery

(included 11 speed cassette and RPM Cadence sensor)

KICKR SNAP 2 - R8,999 incl VAT and Free delivery 

Can you update the pricing?

Looking at the flux you are minus the Cassette and cadence sensor which comes in at R1500 - R2000 worth of value. Something you will need to fork out at a stage. Comparing apples with Apples the flux will cost you around R14,000 compared to the R17,999 KICKR 3. 

Also check compatibility on TACX products for Boost/Through Axle 

Edited by Christian van Zyl

This is how I would select:

Flux = No cos I think I'll break it.

Elite = No cos they're a rip here.

Do I have a private pain cave?

No --> Tacx Neo cos it's quieter so won't bug other people as much.

Yes --> How important is tech support to you?

Not very important  --> Tacx Neo (Coolheat)

Very Important --> Where do you live?

Jhb --> Hammer (BicyclePower is in Rivonia)

Pta --> Kickr3 (iKhambi is off Menlyn)

Overriding questions:

Will there be a power socket near to where I train? If no, Neo.

Is it really important that I feel the cobbles when I'm riding on Zwift? If Yes, then Neo.

Do I want to get the Climber for an extra R8k so that my bike angle changes when I'm riding on Zwift? If Yes, then Kickr3.

TLDR - Neo unless you have a real reason not to.

My personal choice if money wasn't an issue: Kickr3 + Climber.

Realistically my choice: Hammer unless I could get the Neo for the same price.

Stupidly overpriced in SA.  If pricing was similar to Europe, where they are priced in line with the Flow, it would be the brainless choice.

Agree! I have the Direto which I got from Europe at a great price.

Thanks for the inputs, poll here and poll twitter plus Christians great offer = KICKR it is :)

Will your Zwift name be the same as as on Hub?

I have the Neo and it's great.  I bought it in 2016 and at the time the noise advantage it has over KICKR 1 was the major deciding factor.

I do not care much for road feel, it's a gimmick.  Interestingly my power always increases when I cross gravel or cobbles in Zwift, that's just my reaction.  After the initial "cool" factor it adds no more value to me.

The sideways movement that Neo has gives me mixed feelings.  It's really nice and more natural while sitting down. However during standing climb it feels very unstable and makes a heck of a lot of noise.  Maybe that's just me being unbalanced.  It does put significantly less strain onto the chainstays if you have a nice bike on there, though. 

Neo is still much quieter than KICKR3.

The KICKR used to be cheaper than the Neo.  At the prices you list I may still go Neo.

The Flux remains the most rational choice.  Neo for awesomeness.  KICKR for simplicity if you can get it for R18-19k.

I have the Neo and it's great.  I bought it in 2016 and at the time the noise advantage it has over KICKR 1 was the major deciding factor.

I do not care much for road feel, it's a gimmick.  Interestingly my power always increases when I cross gravel or cobbles in Zwift, that's just my reaction.  After the initial "cool" factor it adds no more value to me.

The sideways movement that Neo has gives me mixed feelings.  It's really nice and more natural while sitting down. However during standing climb it feels very unstable and makes a heck of a lot of noise.  Maybe that's just me being unbalanced.  It does put significantly less strain onto the chainstays if you have a nice bike on there, though. 

Neo is still much quieter than KICKR3.

The KICKR used to be cheaper than the Neo.  At the prices you list I may still go Neo.

The Flux remains the most rational choice.  Neo for awesomeness.  KICKR for simplicity if you can get it for R18-19k.

RRP on the KICKR is definitely R17,999

Everywhere except for Chris Willemse...