Clavicle Plate Removal?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plate removed, all is fine so far. No sling and back to work. Seeing the surgeon on Friday again for a dollow up

09a240382f6da1adb85043254ec529df.jpg

New bar ornament?

One of my hooligan US mates has a chopping board made out of some sort of resin with several bits and bobs he has had removed embedded... uses it cutting lemons in his bar in Quincy Ohio... pretty cool talking piece.

Broke my left clavicle in 2010, plate in with 10 screws. Plate out in 2011, still quite a painful experience. Broke the right in 2012, plate out in 2013. Yip, I lack talent, but the advice I was given was to get it out. Doc just said that if I would ever fall with the plate in, to go to any other Orthopod but him! Just imagine the damage the screws and the plate could do. Med Aid paid for the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a tonne of exercises you can do. Youtube for instructions.

Obviously you'll need to start with small weights, you'd probably struggle with 0.5kg dumbbells 4 weeks after your op. Elastic bands are also great.

And when you are fully healed, you can start doing shoulder dislocations with a broom stick;

http://www.stretching-exercises.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/broomstick-dislocations1.jpg

Not quite sure I agree with these exercises.... good resource to have a look at it shoulderdoc.co.uk

Plate removed, all is fine so far. No sling and back to work. Seeing the surgeon on Friday again for a dollow up

Well done! I'm interested in how long the recovery period will be after the plate is removed.

My "alien" should be removed at the end of July. Hoping to be back on the bike by end August...

I'm in the same boat. 

Plate in about 2 years ago.  

Always the advice: "if it does not bother you, leave it"

Does not really bother me, just every now and then when something or someone press on it.

And then there is always the: "The what if I fall on it again?"

One guy I know came of the motorbike, on the side with already a clavicle plate in! 

The damn titanium plate broke! :eek:

I'm seriously considering taking mine out, but I'm just carp scared of the anesthesia! :blush:

This one looks nice . .    

Mine looks like they quickly went and  bought the stuff at the DIY woodwork department. 

Edited by IH8MUD

You need to take them out if you carry on riding. crashing on the same shoulder and breaking the same bone while the plate is in is catastrophic because the screws will tear out of the bone and you'll end up with fragments of what was once a bone. 

removed mine after 10 years of being active with them in place. feels much better now. have all my confidence back. 

important: remember to do proper rehab after taking them out. trust me, it's not worth it it's necessary  

That would make an epic door handle into a pain cave #justsaying

Not quite sure I agree with these exercises.... good resource to have a look at it shoulderdoc.co.uk

I agree with Ryan here.

Go spend some money at your local Physio and start off with inner ranges elastic band resistance exercises before progressing to full range of movements with or without dumbbells.

You don't have to agree, as most people who don't do it (probably because it looks so uncomfortable) seem to, but those that do it will tell you otherwise. As I pointed out, it's not an exercise to do as part of your post-op rehab. 

This exercise did wonders for me ito shoulder mobility, strength and pain has become non-existent.

I agree with Ryan here.

Go spend some money at your local Physio and start off with inner ranges elastic band resistance exercises before progressing to full range of movements with or without dumbbells.

Physio said we start at 4 weeks post op. Coming Tuesday it is.

I did not need a arm sling after the removal, and have same (full) range of movement as before the op. Just suffered some spasms and slight bone aches post-op. Cold weather is much more tolerable now and I can actually start wearing a backpack over both shoulders again as the skin is not being ground from inside against the plate, or that is how it felt.

Everything went remarkable well so far... ok, other than coming out of anaesthesia back to reality. I must have been at Tahiti (Coulson-ish?) while I was put under as I put up a fight, but not as bad as when the plate was inserted...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180608/32a0b0dafcc24b809ebe23bb2154fd55.heic

remove everything and the clavicle, those dont even sound that important. besides, you've got another one

Seeing this has made me mik quite hard. I have a big plate in my humerus and a plate in my shoulder from injuries in '09 and '14 . 
Maybe I should go back and see the surgeon. The possibility of plates causing horrific fractures didn't occur to me. I have bailed a few times though quite hard and so far so good. Ignorance can be bliss.