2018 94.7 training for a newbie

A slight hijack: Who else thinks that the entry fee is starting to get a bit ridiculous considering that last year there was not even a goody pack?

heck yes, that was the only negative thing when she asked if we can do the race together- the price is ludicrous.

Thanks for all the feedback so far from everyone. Each piece of information is useful and I appreciate it.

My sister is actually recovering from a shoulder operation following a bad dislocation, but it should be healed in time to train sufficiently. That's probably why I turned to the hub for the fitness training advice.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and here I was assuming a HE not SHE... :oops:

Good luck with the training and another word of advise... get good cycling shorts or bibs with shammy cream - sore bums etc is the no1 reason people quit or give up on getting into cycling.

and here I was assuming a HE not SHE... :oops:

Good luck with the training and another word of advise... get good cycling shorts or bibs with shammy cream - sore bums etc is the no1 reason people quit or give up on getting into cycling.

no harm done so all is good haha

Thats coincidentally what I said to her last night, that she should rather consider getting great padded cycling pants (are female bibs weird? not for females? no?) and i'll take care of the bike

Nothing wrong with female bibs just not very many options I think. But a good quality bib is a great investment in both your comfort and enjoyment of the sport.

Assos bibs are fantastic but can be pricey however worth it if you continue to enjoy cycling. There are some cheaper options from first accent etc that do ladies bibs and shorts also. Some don't use the ladies specific stuff and some do. My wife used non ladies specific shorts.

I would say you can start the proper preparations 2 months before the event by taking her for a weekend ride of about 30km, then for each weekend after that, increase the distance by 5-10km. In between these weekend rides she can do one or two sessions of spinning or wattbiking for 60-90 minutes. That should be all she needs.

In the last 4 years I have taken three different family members through the Argus as their first ride, and some years ago took two (girl) friends through 94.7 as first rides, so let me share some experience.

DON'T let them follow a "training plan" which is structured and aims to get them through it in optimal shape. It really is overkill for the purpose of getting them through a ride, requires proper discipline and is not much fun. It is likely to put a novice off.

DON'T try and prepare them for the race by taking them to Suikerbosrand. SBR is much tougher to ride than 94.7 and the person will really struggle (hell, everybody struggles) and will start believing that this suffering is what cycling is all about. It WILL destroy their confidence and create unnecessary fear.

Rather, let them ride their bike regularly. 20-30km two or three times a week until she can do that easily, then extend one of them until she can do 50 km once a week. If she can ride 100km a week in total, she WILL be able to do 94.7. If she does it for a few months, she will have a great ride.

At that stage, take her to the cradle and let her learn to ride with people around her, and it will also introduce some hills into the preparation. The worst thing for my newbies was having to share the road with the crowds.

NO need for her to do more than a single Cradle loop (with the extension to the caves) three or four times before the event, say from the beginning of October. She can ride as slowly as she wants. Break the ride up with a Coffee stop.  She does NOT have to do full race distance in a single ride beforehand.

Following this approach, she will enjoy riding, enjoy getting fitter at her own pace, easily be able to fit it into her life and may become a cycling fanatic. Next year she can discover how hard it can be if you want to get better..

PS.

A good pair of bibs and Chamois cream is important.

Slicks will make it easier.

Learning how much to eat on her longer rides is crucial.

In the last 4 years I have taken three different family members through the Argus as their first ride, and some years ago took two (girl) friends through 94.7 as first rides, so let me share some experience.

DON'T let them follow a "training plan" which is structured and aims to get them through it in optimal shape. It really is overkill for the purpose of getting them through a ride, requires proper discipline and is not much fun. It is likely to put a novice off.

DON'T try and prepare them for the race by taking them to Suikerbosrand. SBR is much tougher to ride than 94.7 and the person will really struggle (hell, everybody struggles) and will start believing that this suffering is what cycling is all about. It WILL destroy their confidence and create unnecessary fear.

Rather, let them ride their bike regularly. 20-30km two or three times a week until she can do that easily, then extend one of them until she can do 50 km once a week. If she can ride 100km a week in total, she WILL be able to do 94.7. If she does it for a few months, she will have a great ride.

At that stage, take her to the cradle and let her learn to ride with people around her, and it will also introduce some hills into the preparation. The worst thing for my newbies was having to share the road with the crowds.

NO need for her to do more than a single Cradle loop (with the extension to the caves) three or four times before the event, say from the beginning of October. She can ride as slowly as she wants. Break the ride up with a Coffee stop.  She does NOT have to do full race distance in a single ride beforehand.

Following this approach, she will enjoy riding, enjoy getting fitter at her own pace, easily be able to fit it into her life and may become a cycling fanatic. Next year she can discover how hard it can be if you want to get better..

PS.

:clap:  :thumbup:  well said Eddy...and us okes going to Suikerbos and suffer for the "FUN" of it...some people think we are CRAZY to "look forward" to a weekend ride at Suikerbos...LOL...but we still go back for MORE!!!!  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  can't wait...SBR here we come, back to the PAIN cave  :thumbup:

Edited by CASSIE1975

Did last year with wife for her first time

• Get a decent set of cycling shorts / Bib 
  • Get decent gloves and grips 
  • Get a saddle fit  , and maybe even ladies specific saddle
  • Time in Saddle is important 
  • Try cradle

Start slow say   bidon to caves and back to get bike fit settled

and build up to full lap , 2 laps , etc

When you can do 3 laps  you are ready

Edited by Milosh

let her learn to ride with people around her, and it will also introduce some hills into the preparation. The worst thing for my newbies was having to share the road with the crowds.

This is also very important for a new rider 

Go and have fun, last year was my 9th, did it on a DIK WIEL and it was the most enjoyable race, finished in 5:40, had 2 beers, 1 coffee, 3 tequila on route and thanks to the bakers table ended up with lots of biscuits in my backpack, not to mention the Super c, I got in JHB. - the roads are closed for you.

She may have some cardiovascular fitness to help her, no doubt. But, sitting in the saddle for 4 to 5 hours can be really hard. I ride 100km regularly and only now I get off my bike with no pain (hand, back, arms or rear end). The body needs to adjust to sitting on a bike for that long. 

A little structure is not a bad thing, as getting on a trainer and just pedaling does nothing. She will probably need around 2 to 3 rides a week (two HIIT/tempo rides, and a long ride with undulating hills) to have a fun and comfortable ride. There is a lot of elevation for 94.7, so it's not an easy ride imo. 

7 months is more than enough time to prepare, so maybe start her on a few 40/50km rides on the weekend and buildup the distance over the next few weeks. 4 months out from the race then maybe add in some IDT sessions to get a little more saddle time. 

PS.

^^^^^^^^^

THIS

dont assume that people know what to eat and when and how on a ride.

Even her liquid intake should be trained or she will de-hydrate.

+1 on all the other points in this post.

High 5 is really a great brand I think. It makes things a lot more simple. One bottle of High 5 (750ml) every hour and a FarBar every 45 minutes is an easy strategy. 

If you were to train without going on the road, how do you benchmark you fitness in order to have a comfortable ride?

For instance, If can do a ride 40km ride at Modderfontein on my MTB and feel alright, how stupid would I be to ride the 94.7 on that level of fitness?  Again, to have a good comfortable ride, not sub 3.