2018 94.7 training for a newbie

If you were to train without going on the road, how do you benchmark you fitness in order to have a comfortable ride?

For instance, If can do a ride 40km ride at Modderfontein on my MTB and feel alright, how stupid would I be to ride the 94.7 on that level of fitness?  Again, to have a good comfortable ride, not sub 3. 

No problem at all

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Eddy. 

Might still spend some time on a the Watt Bike with Netflix. Can never be too prepared (and there is always one more show to watch)  

Thanks Eddy. 

Might still spend some time on a the Watt Bike with Netflix. Can never be too prepared (and there is always one more show to watch)  

Also depends on the time you are riding

To sit on the bike for 3+ hours if your not used to it isnt a lot of fun

there's been some posts here that could even help me a bit, which is awesome to learn!
I'll discuss with my sister when I see her in 2 weeks. See how she feels about the topics mentioned here :thumbup:

Also depends on the time you are riding

To sit on the bike for 3+ hours if your not used to it isnt a lot of fun

I did my first 947 with 2 months training and the furthest ride being 15km.

5 and a half hours in the saddle, T shirt, normal shorts and takkies.

This was back when it still started at Kyalami, went anti clock wise around the city and ended at Kyalami.

I vowed never to ride a race without proper training again. Ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were to train without going on the road, how do you benchmark you fitness in order to have a comfortable ride?

For instance, If can do a ride 40km ride at Modderfontein on my MTB and feel alright, how stupid would I be to ride the 94.7 on that level of fitness?  Again, to have a good comfortable ride, not sub 3. 

Just as long as you ride the modders 40k route @ 17km/h average.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn’t find a 2018 thread for the 947, so will post yesterday’s Tweet:

33cc5e68f437ce58f2244c42a0ec86da.jpg

So a route recce is mentioned. Let the speculation commence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought up the rear of last years event as a Trek Trooper.. And as we were the official 2 wheeled sweepers I saw some sights. There was a guy that we had to assist and call the ambulance for by the highway bridge just before Woodmead. How this guy thought he was going to ride 95km at 140kg god only knows..

Know your limits, or at least those around you that you are willing and prepared to help. The more people that finish the better, but make sure folk understand those limits and ride within them..

The climb out of Steyn City at 90 odd km is a tough mofo for anyone who hasn't ridden further than 60km at least once. Combined with heat and wind.. We saw carnage from Witkoppen onward and that was coming up to 4pm, so that's a good 6 hour day for the back markers.

So Wattbike in the gym, Cradle a plenty on the weekend - Get used to Cedar coming back to Broadacres now! A smidgen of running to get the aerobic function up and things will be ok.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Honkdonk