Scammer: Peets

Apeman2

Just want to warn you to not deal with this guy. He sells fake branded frames. He is located in Stellenbosch and his Hubber name is Peets. I was stupid enough to fall for his lies. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to hear , admin will probably pm you soon to get his details to add to the scammer thread 

please do me A favour and go open A fraud case at your bank and local police station , we suspect it might be A syndicate and if we get enough atentuion on them something might happen 

PM for tip to verify products sold by people online 

I myself was scammed early Jan and because I did not do my homework 

Curios to find out more, if you are willing to share ?

Many products are being made available from dealers, cycling traders, and general public for that matter, when they import them from "the other side".  

Were you told this bike / frame is a Dogma (for example only) and came out of the Pinnarello factory ? ....to which you subsequently found out it was not the case ??

Guess it will come down to not so much the frame, but what you were told about it, and assurances you were given, regarding the true authenticity and origin of the product. 

Just want to warn you to not deal with this guy. He sells fake branded frames. He is located in Stellenbosch and his Hubber name is Peets. I was stupid enough to fall for his lies. 

was said frame(s) advertised on the hub?

The sale of counterfeit goods is something we don't take kindly to. This violates the Counterfeit Goods Act and there are also potentially harsh penalties (fines or even prison time) for offenders. 

I have reached out to the OP for more info.

If anyone has spotted a fake or had a similar experience I urge you to report the incident to us and your local SAPS (where you have been sold a fake item). We will ensure that the Bike Hub user account is suspended in line with our zero-tolerance policy on fakes and facilitate with the local agent/rights holder to ensure required action is taken.

Pictures of said fake frames?

You will not see any difference from the outside.  They come with serial numbers and even the true to original stickers with contact and warranty info etc.  Be careful of wheels as well.  I have seen plenty of fake "branded" rims.

What frame did you buy and did it come with any thing with it? How much did you pay?

I am happy to say that I hardly ever see any chinese knock offs with proper branding ever advertised on the hub, compared to gumtree where it is rife.

You will not see any difference from the outside. They come with serial numbers and even the true to original stickers with contact and warranty info etc. Be careful of wheels as well. I have seen plenty of fake "branded" rims.

Keeping that in mind, how do we prevent ourselves from buying fake frames etc? Are certain brands more prevalent to be faked?

How do I, Joe Soap, spot a fake?

I am happy to say that I hardly ever see any chinese knock offs with proper branding ever advertised on the hub, compared to gumtree where it is rife.

I bought a chinese frame/bike on gumtree, my tt bike. From the price I could clearly see that its a "cheap" import.

But I will be pissed if i payed a years salary for it and found out later its fake.

If you were informed before hand that the frame is a replica and you were charged accordingly, you have no leg to stand on. Only if it was sold to you as a genuine frame and you were charged for a genuine frame, do you have a case.

So what were you told when the frame was sold to you?

If you were informed before hand that the frame is a replica and you were charged accordingly, you have no leg to stand on. Only if it was sold to you as a genuine frame and you were charged for a genuine frame, do you have a case.

So what were you told when the frame was sold to you?

Pipe down, Chachi.

OP said he fell for the Sellers lies, which indicates the he was not upfront and truthful about it. 

mention is made of fakes and replicas and if the seller wish to hide behind the the replica banner I have to ask:

from whom were the bike obtained originally?

does this entity have permission to produce replicas?

Pipe down, Chachi.

OP said he fell for the Sellers lies, which indicates the he was not upfront and truthful about it. 

Well, Chachi, the OP also chooses to omit quite a lot of information, which seems to indicate that he's not telling the full story for a reason.

I'm just saying, everyone jumps on the band wagon when they can ride a Chinarello for cheap, never caring about the consequences until something goes wrong. Then they want to back track and blame everyone else.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

mention is made of fakes and replicas and if the seller wish to hide behind the the replica banner I have to ask:

from whom were the bike obtained originally?

does this entity have permission to produce replicas?

Whether these things are "legal" so to speak or not, the buyer is fully aware of what he's getting when he's told the frame is a replica. Why else would someone buy a replica? They're trying to save a buck or two by buying a cheap version of a bike, knowing full well what they're in for. I'm not saying everyone is honest and upfront, I'm just saying that in the case of someone knowingly buying a so called replica, they know what they're in for.

Archived