3x9 to 1x12

Escapee..

Friend of mine is looking at changing from his Shimano 3x9 setup to 1x12.

Is it possible?

Cost involved?

Best place to have it done in the East/South of Joburg?

TIA

Full GX groupo (shifter, cassette, chain, rear derailleur) can be had for around R5,500 excl crank, in which case he will have to buy a chainring for around R800, and a XD driver body for his hub (if available) - usually around R1000.

If there is no XD driver available for his hub then he can buy a Sunrace 11-50t 12spd cassette, and save money on the cassette as well as not needing to buy a XD driver.

If he wants to go for a GX eagle 1x specific crank (which includes 32t chainring) add another R2300.

So in other words, the cheapest option (no crank, no xd driver, sunrace cassette, eagle deraileur + shifter + chain, and 104bcd chainring), you are talking about 6k.

Most expensive option with XD driver, Eagle crankset, and full eagle groupo you are talking 9k.

Full GX groupo (shifter, cassette, chain, rear derailleur) can be had for around R5,500 excl crank, in which case he will have to buy a chainring for around R800, and a XD driver body for his hub (if available) - usually around R1000.

If there is no XD driver available for his hub then he can buy a Sunrace 11-50t 12spd cassette, and save money on the cassette as well as not needing to buy a XD driver.

If he wants to go for a GX eagle 1x specific crank (which includes 32t chainring) add another R2300.

So in other words, the cheapest option (no crank, no xd driver, sunrace cassette, eagle deraileur + shifter + chain, and 104bcd chainring), you are talking about 6k.

Most expensive option with XD driver, Eagle crankset, and full eagle groupo you are talking 9k.

Legend

Thanks for the reply

Recently acquired.

GX groupo - R5300 - CWC

STANS XD driver R1500 - Evobikes

32T oval chainring - R900 - LBS

Using XT crank

Fitment including cable and wash - R440

Total R8140.00

Escapee.

Get in contact with Wayne from Rapide.

He will guide you through the whole process, and also supply you with everything needed at excellent prices. No need to buy a whole groupset, Rapide can supply all as standalone items, so you can buy what you need.

edit: see you are looking for 12spd. I got my 11spd stuff from him, not sure if he stocks these in 12spd. 

Edited by Wannabe

If you are willing to replace the BB, could you buy either the BB30 or GXP crank, or is it not interchangeable?

I went from 3x10 to 2x10 to 1x11 (same crank)

Bought 1 x Oval ring from Rapide which I bolted on to my XT crank set.

Next I purchased the 1x11 XT upgrade kit from CWCycles for R3500.

Whole upgrade was less the R4k.

So maybe consider 1x11 32/34-46

Edited by Boerklong

Is it possible?

Cost involved?

TIA

For best service and advice, take it to Ridgeway Cycles, close to Greenstone mall. Speak to Andrew or Rory and they can best advise on how to go forward.

3x9 suggests an older or lower spec bike , just check it is maybe not worth cost of 1x12 conversion 

Prudent money is on a second hand  1x11 when someone has gone 1x12.

Factor in from chain ring as i forgot that ;-) 

If you are willing to replace the BB, could you buy either the BB30 or GXP crank, or is it not interchangeable?

Not sure tbh. The reason I include the crank comment is because I know some people want direct mount chainrings instead of the 104bcd one you would have to use if using a 2x or 3x crank. But as far as I know Eagle cranks are available in both gxp and bb30, so you could just get the one suited to your bb.

Is it possible?

Cost involved?

TIA

You didn't think to call Byron at Just Cycles? I am disappoint [emoji22]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

So maybe consider 1x11 32/34-4

This is exactly what I did earlier on this year using the existing crank on my bike  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry and what adapter kit did you purchase?

Edited by TCTG

Did you have to buy an adapter when you purchased the XT 1x11 upgrade kit?