Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Stop it already, you guys are putting me off with all these route profiles. They DO NOT look pleasant.

Previously, you thought you had a decent chance of finishing strong once you arrived at Witkoppen, only to encounter 20km of leg cramping climbs.

This time round, most of the pain will be done by halfway with plenty of recovery before the final batch of climbs in the Kyalami area.

Think this way round will be more enjoyable.

Organizers already hinted on Toyota Cadence that they are planning to stick with this route for a while.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to note on the route:

Previously when we descended down Jan Smuts. The descents were of a steep gradient, and often interrupted by steepish climbs. This typically caused havoc with groups.

This year, the decent down M2 has a much flatter gradient, and is only interrupted by one flattish climb. I'm sure this is going to mean that groups will stick together much better.

So finding a good group in town is going to be very important. This is also going to benefit lighter riders.

post-41865-0-33142000-1538396198_thumb.png

post-41865-0-58879700-1538395151_thumb.png

Edited by GaryvdM

One thing to note on the route:

Previously when we descended down Jan Smuts. The descents were of a steep gradient, and often interrupted by steepish climbs. This typically caused havoc with groups.

This year, the decent down M2 has a much flatter gradient, and is only interrupted by one flattish climb. I'm sure this is going to mean that groups will stick together much better.

So finding a good group in town is going to be very important. This is also going to benefit lighter riders.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2018-10-01 13-58-06.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2018-10-01 13-51-07.png

Sections 4 and 6 are gonna be legendary!

Can see why section 3 is important.

To summarise:

• ride section 1 and 2 at a pace that you can maintain, don't try to follow those skinny okes.
  • Ride Section 3 with the aim of finding and hanging on to a decent group. at least 10 guys willing to work hey? group of 20+ riders would be a jackpot

<snip> Big boys wont stand a chance...

Yip - route has the same Assent/Decent as last year - but I think it will favour the climbers more.

I rode the reverse route a couple of weeks ago. Not easy and we had the prevailing North/South winds blowing a fair bit. All the climbs going North were a bitch! Some of the guys recon it could add 10 to 15 min to your expected finish time.

I rode the reverse route a couple of weeks ago. Not easy and we had the prevailing North/South winds blowing a fair bit. All the climbs going North were a bitch! Some of the guys recon it could add 10 to 15 min to your expected finish time.

Did you ride the M1 as well?

Also did some of the first half of the route on Sunday. 

All I can say is that going down Jan Smuts (Zoo and Craighall) as well as Homestead is much easier than going up.

If the wind is blowing from the NE, could make the M1 a bit of a grind for the later starters

Also did some of the first half of the route on Sunday. 

All I can say is that going down Jan Smuts (Zoo and Craighall) as well as Homestead is much easier than going up.

If the wind is blowing from the NE, could make the M1 a bit of a grind for the later starters

Doing a Recce ride of the first half on Sunday, should be "fun".

Question for guys who have done a recce ride: where you allowed through Steyn City?

No... just ride through Dainfern. Its pretty much the same thing

Edited by Paulst12

I don't know why I visit this thread....all I gain from it is fear.

Nope, we call it 'respect', sounds less intimidating. :)

Seriously though, we are making a fuss about it because we are all a bit anxious about the unknown. It is a good place to be. We'll all be fine come race day. Some might have slightly better times and others slightly worse.

Think the weather conditions might have a bigger impact on finishing time than the route change.

Nope, we call it 'respect', sounds less intimidating. :)

Seriously though, we are making a fuss about it because we are all a bit anxious about the unknown. It is a good place to be. We'll all be fine come race day. Some might have slightly better times and others slightly worse.

Think the weather conditions might have a bigger impact on finishing time than the route change.

Agree, which is why I enjoy doing the recce rides. Gives me a good idea of what to expect.