Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Thanks I'll consider a 28 I don't mind a bit of pain, just afraid of popping too soon. Getting off the bike is my worst nightmare.

Where is your normal training routes? 

Gearing is subjective to the routes, for all we know, you could be doing suikerbos loops with your combo already, so then youll be fine. On the other hand, if you normally dont do more than 200m climbing on your long weekend rides, then you might want a bigger gear out back.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is your normal training routes?

Gearing is subjective to the routes, for all we know, you could be doing suikerbos loops with your combo already, so then youll be fine. On the other hand, if you normally dont do more than 200m climbing on your long weekend rides, then you might want a bigger gear out back.

I can just about scream my way through suikerbos , but I average around 300-400m Elevation for 30-50km training rides.

I am not paying R504.50!

There are many charities that give away free entries. I am organizing a team for the DL Link (cancer support group, they do incredible work.). We are being sponsored by Liberty so the next 40 riders to enter will get free entry.All you have to do is raise R1800 and you get entry kit and a worthy cause to ride for.  

<p>

I'm really excited about this. Its going to be my first one, and I'm trying to prepare as best I can for it. I'll be one of the 10 000 that are just looking to finish and not die. At my level the guys that can manage a 32km/h average seem like androids.

Luckily riding for WorldNet, so free entry and an early start. I'll try to do a few laps during the upcoming months at Suikerbosrand to get the hang of longer distance road riding.

Personal goals:

• Sub 5 hours (4:59 counts).
  • Pedaling past someone on an expensive carbon road bike on my MTB with off-road tyres. Preferably while wheelying and/or chugging a beer. :ph34r:

Don't worry so much about passing, us as a lot of us have a different approach to these mass participation events nowadays, it's called having fun, enjoying the road closure, seeing the city from a saddle and enjoying the day out. Rather worry about your preparation and pacing yourself in order to finish. If you want to ride your MTB good for you. IMHO it's like taking a knife to a gun fight, it's your choice... We prefer to leave our MTB's at home that day. We've learned this through experience.

I was merely being impish @CAAD4. I'm only riding my MTB with off road tyres as I can't afford a road bike, a second set of wheels with slicks or even losing the sealant I currently have in my tyres to do a swap. So my jab at the hairless, aero-helmet gang was out of jealousy more than anything else.

I've done it again haven't I?

:D

I can just about scream my way through suikerbos , but I average around 300-400m Elevation for 30-50km training rides.

I actually  then recon you should be fine with your gearing. Nothing as steep or long as in suikerbosrand. The 2nd half of the race is now a lot easier, with most of it downhill. Mostly, stick to what you know.

I actually  then recon you should be fine with your gearing. Nothing as steep or long as in suikerbosrand. The 2nd half of the race is now a lot easier, with most of it downhill. Mostly, stick to what you know.

I think the mineshaft in Kayalami might catch a couple of people by surprise, but shouldn't be undoable at 4% for 700m. The big groups coming in from the M1 should hopefully separate in this general area to have smaller groups coming into the finish line.

The run in to the finish might seem easier that the old route, but there are still a few hills to deal with. As mentioned before, it will be business as usual for the racing categories - it’s fun riders that will be surprised that the finish is not as easy as some think.

From Killarney bends it’s mostly a gradual decline, with a short kick up to Marlboro;

Then, another long descent to the Jukskei river;

A short bump up to the race track;

The mine shaft;

Up after leaving the track to Main Road;

Up to heartbreak hill (short bump);

Up after heartbreak hill;

Then one final drag after the left turn.

If the prevailing winds blow, most of this is into a head wind.

The run in to the finish might seem easier that the old route, but there are still a few hills to deal with. As mentioned before, it will be business as usual for the racing categories - it’s fun riders that will be surprised that the finish is not as easy as some think.

From Killarney bends it’s mostly a gradual decline, with a short kick up to Marlboro;

Then, another long descent to the Jukskei river;

A short bump up to the race track;

The mine shaft;

Up after leaving the track to Main Road;

Up to heartbreak hill (short bump);

Up after heartbreak hill;

Then one final drag after the left turn.

If the prevailing winds blow, most of this is into a head wind.

Yep, the jury is still out as to what the nett result is going to be on finishing times for us normal folk. Think we should see this as a brand new route and don't do any comparisons to times achieved in previous years.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question, my friend is doing the race for the first time this year but doesn't have a Race chip is it possible for him to enter for the Race and purchase a race chip at a later date? Would there be any complications to doing it this way?

Thanks.

Quick question, my friend is doing the race for the first time this year but doesn't have a Race chip is it possible for him to enter for the Race and purchase a race chip at a later date? Would there be any complications to doing it this way?

Thanks.

Online registration will not let you enter unless you have a race chip or buy one during the entry process

Thanks.

At the very least they will force your friend to buy a racetec chip at the registration veneue. Give it a shot, get the entry in via the online portal, worst case he adds it to his cart during the entry process and then collects the chip when collecting his race pack.

At the very least they will force your friend to buy a racetec chip at the registration veneue. Give it a shot, get the entry in via the online portal, worst case he adds it to his cart during the entry process and then collects the chip when collecting his race pack.

Ya, I remember when I entered it basically added the race chip to the fee. But there was a option to exclude it if I remember correctly. Just not sure how it would affect him if he were to enter without purchasing a chip with the entry.

Ya, I remember when I entered it basically added the race chip to the fee. But there was a option to exclude it if I remember correctly. Just not sure how it would affect him if he were to enter without purchasing a chip with the entry.

Very simple, he cannot ride without a chip, they won't allow him through the entry chutes on race day. So the people at registration will sell him one when he picks up his registration packet.