Best / Lightest Non Carbon MTB Rims?

duanelr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also say American classic race just under 1500g the wide lightnings are awesome but closer to 1800g have even had a set of am28 they are little over 1600g and have the same hub's as the other 2.

I wouldn't touch the new Stan's wheels again had a set of crest mk3 they cracked around the nippels was replaced under warranty with arch mk3 was told the crest was a faulty batch and the arch did the exact same thing.

I would like to try the Lyne 25 or 30 next has anyone used a set have seen them at Evo the 25 looks rear good and very light and setup Tubeless already for under 6k well priced!

I have a set of Lyne Pulse 25's. 

Stunning set of wheels, improved the feel of my Hardtail over rocky / technical terrain a lot, mostly due to the fact that I could fit slightly "bigger" tires, and run my pressure a bit lower.

They replaced a set of Easton wheels, and it was a good replacement.

I have a set of Lyne Pulse 25's. 

Stunning set of wheels, improved the feel of my Hardtail over rocky / technical terrain a lot, mostly due to the fact that I could fit slightly "bigger" tires, and run my pressure a bit lower.

They replaced a set of Easton wheels, and it was a good replacement.

I've been looking at these for a while now, looks like great value, just worried about reliability etc... How long have you had the wheels and what kind of riding do you do?

I've been looking at these for a while now, looks like great value, just worried about reliability etc... How long have you had the wheels and what kind of riding do you do?

Had them since December, so no more than 1000km on them, but they were faultless up to now.

Riding all the Tygerberg trails, and everything it can throw at me. Not the fastest oke around (not too skilled on the technical bits, so I take them a bit slower, but I do ride ride most trails, except the proper DH trails).

I was amazed at how it transformed my bike's feel on the rocky bits and even climbs, due to more traction because of wider footprint / lower pressures I can run.

Im busy building up DT Swiss 350 hubs on Stans Crest rims, best bang for buc combination

I wont go for AC wheels the hub engagement is slow and the rims get dinged easily. The new Crest looks ok, but for alu xc wheels I would go for the Lyne Pulse 25. Carbon wheels is my 1st choice but I insure my bike so that I don`t have to worry about rim breakage. My carbon wheels have seen some long rough racing miles from 2014 and only has a few minor scratches to show for it. I have however seen that some of the Spez carbon wheels breaking and also where the spokes pull through the rim, but only for certain year models. The new Spez wheels are very light and I have heard of 1 breakage incident. It seems that some makes/models carbon wheels break easier that others.

The race rims are too narrow, I'd go with the AC wide lightnings, the amount of extra grip and control you will have on the downhill far outweighs the few grams saved for the uphill. Some AC wide lightning hoops with DT swiss revolution double buttered spokes and those lyne hubs are a winning combination. (stans hubs are equally light)

Whats double buttered spokes, is that like buttering both sides of your bread?

Sure you mean butted...

Whats double buttered spokes, is that like buttering both sides of your bread?

Sure you mean butted...

Haven`t you heard?, if you butter your spokes it cuts down wind resistance by 3.5% for every layer of butter you add.

i have the new crest mk3 rims. they are lighter than most carbon wheels and feel pretty good.

you will however notice them flex compared to a good carbon wheel.

Edited by Furbz

If you're lucky enough to still find some, AC Wide Lightning.

The pair will be just over 1500g. 

The only major upgrade I have ever done for my bikes.  Really enjoy them and benefit you can keep them when you get a new bike (well as long as it is probably non-boost bike)

Always considered a set of carbon rims, but my eyes were opened recently when I learned that carbon fibre parts can't be recycled. Just imagine the large piles of useless broken carbon fibre accumulated over time...

If you are not on the heavier side, AC Wide Lightnings remains a no-brainer for light rims. The last generation just seems to ding and dent a lot easier than previous ones.

The accompanying AC hubs are also pretty light, although the rear has the issue of slow engagement.

Always considered a set of carbon rims, but my eyes were opened recently when I learned that carbon fibre parts can't be recycled. Just imagine the large piles of useless broken carbon fibre accumulated over time...

If you are not on the heavier side, AC Wide Lightnings remains a no-brainer for light rims. The last generation just seems to ding and dent a lot easier than previous ones.

The accompanying AC hubs are also pretty light, although the rear has the issue of slow engagement.

Rider weight is a consideration for me, sitting at 94kg "dry weight" currently.

Couldn't find much on the AC Wide lightnings except for one review where they state the rider limit on 107kg, which gives me some leeway.

Would love to go with Lyne Pulse 25 wheelset, but their limit is set at 90kg if I remember correctly, so might have to wait a while as I am busy to try and break into the sub 90kgs...

I have a set of AC wheels on my road bike, love them to bits, so going AC on my MTB would be an easy decision to make.

Edited by Rookie85

I wont go for AC wheels the hub engagement is slow and the rims get dinged easily. The new Crest looks ok, but for alu xc wheels I would go for the Lyne Pulse 25. Carbon wheels is my 1st choice but I insure my bike so that I don`t have to worry about rim breakage. My carbon wheels have seen some long rough racing miles from 2014 and only has a few minor scratches to show for it. I have however seen that some of the Spez carbon wheels breaking and also where the spokes pull through the rim, but only for certain year models. The new Spez wheels are very light and I have heard of 1 breakage incident. It seems that some makes/models carbon wheels break easier that others.

My bike is also insured. if i were to upgrade to more expensive carbon rims, and one day i do mange to break them by accident, what is the process of claiming for new rims?

Should you inform the insurance company of the upgraded parts? will premiums go up?

bit off topic but an interesting point you make, thanks