Typical! Welcome to sunny South Africa

Vetseun

So .... how many people get robbed at gunpoint or stabbed for their bikes?  #JustWondering.

It seems that no where is immune. Bike are easy, obviously & expensive. The UK has a lot of thefts a fair few stabbings & a good deal of muggings for bikes an it's not of the 'Dear sir please can I relive you of your velocipede if its not too much of an inconvenience' type. 

So .... how many people get robbed at gunpoint or stabbed for their bikes?  #JustWondering.

To steal a bike here you don't need to interact with people, you just walk up to the nearest street corner with bolt cutters and you can take you pick. But what is increasing is putting spikes and barb wire on trails. Its not all tulips and cheese, but I get your point. At least it isn't violent.

How dare you come to this discussion with evidence that South Africa isn't as bad as some people say it is? The whole point of this post was for the negative people to lay into SA like the grass is greener everywhere else. 

On a serious note, when you read overseas websites, such as Road.cc, you really do come to the conclusion that South Africa isn't really any different to the rest of the world. The grass isn't really greener, it's just a different colour. . .

The overall crime situation in SA is a very serious problem, it is much worse than any 1st world country and much worse than the worlds overall average, especially for corruption and violent crime.

It seems that no where is immune. Bike are easy, obviously & expensive. The UK has a lot of thefts a fair few stabbings & a good deal of muggings for bikes an it's not of the 'Dear sir please can I relive you of your velocipede if its not too much of an inconvenience' type. 

I think the bigger cities here in Germany also has his fair share of bike theft.  Here in Münich as well but not involving stabbings and robery.  Put it this way, I have not heard or read of anything.

I have read about a bike being stollen in our town twice in the three years we have lived here but in both cases the bikes were not locked.

The overall crime situation in SA is a very serious problem, it is much worse than any 1st world country and much worse than the worlds overall average, especially for corruption and violent crime.

No denying that, my problem is with people that think that this is exclusive to SA. Not fair to compare us to 1st world countries when we most definitely aren't in that category, not even close. 

I can confirm ( without eating stroopwafels ) that getting bikes stolen here is part of normal life. There was a recent article in the newspaper that said if you live in Amsterdam your chances of having a bike stolen is exactly 100%. That's why I keep my nice bikes under lock and key and I have a banger to ride around on.

Ja, they stole my friends Audi TT and also her husbands racing bike from a locked garage in Rotterdam.

no sh!t Sherlock.

So .... how many people get robbed at gunpoint or stabbed for their bikes? #JustWondering.

Ja *** happens

But so rare that It would make headline news me thinks. I don’t recall any violent bike thefts here on planet Zug... in the last 15 yrs

Edited by SwissVan

The olde crime in SA chestnut. It's bad. It's REALLY bad. When I lived in SA I was pretty immune to it. I got carjacked and didn't think it was a big deal. 2 years in Denmark and getting jacked is a HUGR deal. People in SA should be more outraged and show their outrage more. Saying it isn't that bad in some kind if weird patriotic fashion will never solve the problem.

The olde crime in SA chestnut. It's bad. It's REALLY bad. When I lived in SA I was pretty immune to it. I got carjacked and didn't think it was a big deal. 2 years in Denmark and getting jacked is a HUGR deal. People in SA should be more outraged and show their outrage more. Saying it isn't that bad in some kind if weird patriotic fashion will never solve the problem.

I don't think anyone on here is saying it is not BAD. But if we had to be as outraged by crime as we should be, we would spend our lives in a state of permanent outrage/depression which is too draining to live with. I for one wouldn't be able to function properly. That is why we make light of it.

I don't think anyone on here is saying it is not BAD. But if we had to be as outraged by crime as we should be, we would spend our lives in a state of permanent outrage/depression which is too draining to live with. I for one wouldn't be able to function properly. That is why we make light of it.

Agreed - I was the same when I was there.

It's probably rich of me to be the one preaching when I live here now but I think it's high time Saffers got involved. Take that outrage and go to town hall meetings, meet your local councilor,  go to political rallies etc.

It works here. If something happens that people don't agree with they pull out the banners and march.

To add to the anecdotal "statistical" facts and sentiment of this thread.

Had 1 Bike Stolen in Canada (within 12 hours from purchase).

Police suspected drug related activity

Police official Stance - "We hope you do not think we will be looking for it

Recovered - No

Had 1 Bike Stolen in Stellenbosch

Police suspected drug related activity

Police official Stance - "We will see what we can do"

Recovered - Yes

Is this proof of anything - no, as it is a sample of 1 and very anecdotal