Tshwane Classic VS 947 Entry Fee Costs

alexi

Hi Guys and Girls,

So my question is this?

The Tshwane Classic have announced today that they have reduced

their full road closure race entry fee to R330 which has been done to breakdown

the financial barrier of high entry fees for road races. Should 947 organisers not take

note and follow suit, why are we paying R505 for the 947 entry?

Hi Guys and Girls,

So my question is this?

the financial barrier of high entry fees for road races. Should 947 organisers not take

947 is a settled product, with actual full road closure as it is supposed to be.

Tshwane Classic is in its 2nd year, still needs to prove itself, and last year it wasn't full road closure with Taxis forcing their way through.

Tshwane needs to add some discount to attract riders, whereas 947 can almost ask whatever they want and most of the people will attend.

That being said, I would like to see some of the major races rethink their financials and move the entry fee lower to about the R300-R400 mark.

Hi Guys and Girls,

So my question is this?

Because it's "joburgs toughest race" or whatever they call it and the steep entry fee won't deter many. It will still get the numbers. We are our own worst enemy unfortunately. Just like number collection, Until EVERYONE(or a big majority) oppose, the organisers can do what they want.

Hi Guys and Girls,

So my question is this?

You should really be asking- 'Why am I bothering considering riding 947, there are far more interesting races to do in this country than ride the same roads you sit in traffic in week in and week out on'

#flamesuit-on :ph34r:

I get your point but the principal financial outlay should be similar for bothorganizers in fact it will be less for 947 due to the major sponsors they

have secured?

Noted, and going to enter for the Tshwane Classic.

(Still going to to 947.)

I think a big part of 947's success is due to the advertising they get from the radio station, especially in the early years of the race.  And there success means they can charge higher prices.

Edited by GaryvdM

I get your point but the principal financial outlay should be similar for bothorganizers in fact it will be less for 947 due to the major sponsors they

have secured?

Successful races aren't organised just to cover costs - there is no reason they can't be profitable. Even where profits go to charitable causes. Sponsorship and entry fees are all revenue in the end.

Cycle Challenge has a brand and non-cyclists (at least in Gauteng) aspire to do it at least once, there's so much value in something like that.  CTCT, Cape Epic, W2W, Sani2c, Ironman, Comrades and Two Oceans all have aspirations attached to them.  It's only once you move past that wow factor that you start to assess it from a pure value standpoint.  A few guys on this forum have done Sani2C once, twice, three times and then never returned as the wow factor could no longer outweigh increasing costs and ever-expanding alternatives entering the stage race scene.  They don't just stop riding, they'll hopefully seek the next race that again provides that excitement.

I still get a kick from riding 947 and for me it offers good value.

Given the size and maturity of the 947 event against Tshwane I don't think the organiser's cost is all that relevant, though from my running days I recall that it was significantly more expensive to host a race in Jhb vs Pta.

Your argument may be more valid when compared to another largish second tier race of which there are a few.  Ride for Sight, Emperors and Fast One?  Against these TC offers excellent value.

TC is still early in the game, but I REALLY hope they manage to create another hugely successful top tier race 10 years down the line and I won't mind paying more to ride it.  For now they are investing in building the event itself through lower fees which is great for participants. 

If you are sensitive to this you can seek out well-priced races. They need your money.

94,7 has a charity contribution also .They got me all excited abut the reverse route also .If i am alive then, i will ride it ! Rode Tshwane classic last year and will be back again 

Edited by Blitzer

Both a bargain. 947 does a lot with the funds and in general for charity. It is also the charity I supports biggest event and they rely on the event success for the amount of funding they generate.

For that part I still support 947 - so lekker ek ry hom 2 keer.

Everything at the 94.7 is about ten times the size of the Tshwane Classic. More toilets, more parking, more waterpoints. A much bigger start, a twenty times bigger finish. The finish at the TC was a gazebo and an anouncer.

It's more like the Fast One with road closure (but with vehicles crossing). I reckon that to have road closure with crossings as opposed to total closure, with all traffic diverted, makes a big difference in terms of costs.

That said, it was a nice race and I will do it again.

Also if you are a cyclist you can pick your races. One evening less at the Spur and you've saved the bucks for something that you really want to do. The whole race is the price of a Gatorskin tyre.

Edited by Blokman

CycleChallenge had road closures but with vehicles crossing, controlled by cops, when I road in 1998. Does any one know when they got full road closure?

I’ve done every 947 since 2002, the same year the M1 was introduced. It was full road closure for every one of those 16 events. Can’t comment on the events prior.

FWIW, the CCMNC race in October is increasing from R320 to R330. It would have been more, but when compared to other similar sized races, the

majority vote from the race committee resulted in a 3.2% increase. Try get service providers to agree to a 3.2% increase... some walk away.

Every cent, after all expenses are paid, goes back to charity, so by entering the event riders are indirectly contributing to the race chosen charities. The rotary club is a registered NPO, and therefore have to distribute the funds within the year they receive it.

I know the costs involved to run a race, and the profits/proceeds are not as high as some people think. If it was a business, I’d walk away... but the satisfaction I get is seeing the happy, smiley faces on race day, hearing the post-race war stories, and more - plus the faces of the people that benefit from the proceeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk