Be careful in the West Rand! (and SA in general!)

Mojoman

I have been saying for a very long time while cycling in SA that the taxi in general were the least of my problems.  The middle aged Wit man was my biggest problem.  Stupidity in a motorist can normally be predicted ... arrogance not.

This is so true it is not funny!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was riding around the UK for 3 weeks without one incident, without one moment of feeling in danger.

This morning, my first ride back in SA roads, and I had 4 near misses. Here’s the kicker, only one was a taxi doing what taxis do, the 3 others were middle aged guys in bakkies driving aggressively.

No social contract.

Double Cab drivers are the worst on our roads. They drive like wankers!!!

Observation from a non SA resident. On Danish cycling sites when there is a problem the focus is on how to solve it. On SA sites it seems to be mostly about who's fault it is and who we can blame.

Perhaps changing the rhetoric will help solve the problem?

Not clear if you are on the car driver or cyclists side.

This is a problem in the east of Pretoria too.

Huge club groups on MTB's with beautiful dirt trail right next to the road but they need the Strava KOM's so they ride 2 or 3 abreast with zero regard for traffic.

Makes life hard for all cyclists.

Not on either side really. Just a case of the sad mindset of society. No patience no respect. On a hair trigger

I have been saying for a very long time while cycling in SA that the taxi in general were the least of my problems.  The middle aged Wit man was my biggest problem.  Stupidity in a motorist can normally be predicted ... arrogance not.

I agree 100%. In my own experience taxi's are actually AWARE of me on the road except for the odd one. The wit ou's with their arrogance and aggression are the danger.

The likes of brain dead, moron Mr. Henry Read of Krugersdorp. He needs a good PK.

Double Cab drivers are the worst on our roads. They drive like wankers!!!

Not all of us! It's not just double cab. It's all cars. Just like saying BMW drivers don't indicate, Sure some don't but same goes for all other brands of cars. It's not the car that's being a box, it's the prick driving it. 

I listed the dangers on Twitter once a while ago. Took some flak for it....

Bakkie drivers, school runners, and PUTCO buses are the biggest dangers in my mind.

Not all of us! It's not just double cab. It's all cars. Just like saying BMW drivers don't indicate, Sure some don't but same goes for all other brands of cars. It's not the car that's being a box, it's the prick driving it. 

Agreed not all bakkie drivers, but dude there is definitely a issue with many of them.

Let's not even get started on the amount of close calls had with cars carrying bikes on the back...

In my experience, taxis have been absolute angels compared to other cyclists... My biggest fear, however, is mommy in a disco on the school run, making lunch plans while calming a child and putting on makeup... Absolutely **** all concern for anyone else, and don't you dare try to correct them...

Let's not even get started on the amount of close calls had with cars carrying bikes on the back...

In my experience, taxis have been absolute angels compared to other cyclists... My biggest fear, however, is mommy in a disco on the school run, making lunch plans while calming a child and putting on makeup... Absolutely **** all concern for anyone else, and don't you dare try to correct them...

I get the "my husband will f*&k you up!" when I suggest that talking on your phone, while your kid is standing between the front two seats, might not be the greatest idea.

But lets face reality, a person who is willing to put their OWN kids life in danger is probably not going to give a toss about your safety and especially not your opinion on the matter.

Agreed not all bakkie drivers, but dude there is definitely a issue with many of them.

Maybe because the vehicle is so much bigger they feel they can "bully" us. If it's kitted out with all sorts of bull bars they don't worry about scratching or denting the bumpers?

I for one can say I have never been a d!ck to any cyclist while in my double cab and the same goes when I drive the wife's car or a rental car.

I get the "my husband will f*&k you up!" when I suggest that talking on your phone, while your kid is standing between the front two seats, might not be the greatest idea.

But lets face reality, a person who is willing to put their OWN kids life in danger is probably not going to give a toss about your safety and especially not your opinion on the matter.

This totally blows my mind

Think this has been discussed both sides (basically there are a$$holes on both sides but the rider will always loose in the event of a clash on the road)

So what do we do to slow down the continual breakdown of the social "contract" ?  How do we initiate a change (no matter how small), or suggestions on how to affect a change those in our circle of influence. Or do we just give up and continue to bitch and moan about it as it continue to breakdown further? 

I don't have an answer just curious because I doubt that ALL of us be frank and harsh with work colleagues / friends that was pointed out as acting like a$$holes on the road.    

Edit: It is not like we have been able as a society deal with abuse (woman / men / children), or drunkenness, using phones while driving, etc

You should point to the kids/s in the back seat and say "Well the poor guy obviously managed to f*&k you up once or twice or was that the mail man?"

Think this has been discussed both sides (basically there are a$$holes on both sides but the rider will always loose in the event of a clash on the road)

So what do we do to slow down the continual breakdown of the social "contract" ?  How do we initiate a change (no matter how small), or suggestions on how to affect a change those in our circle of influence. Or do we just give up and continue to bitch and moan about it as it continue to breakdown further? 

I don't have an answer just curious because I doubt that ALL of us be frank and harsh with work colleagues / friends that was pointed out as acting like a$$holes on the road.    

There was a thread on this not too long ago on how we can make the roads safer.  My one argument is that people will not learn if there are not consequences for their actions.

Agree with you 100,000,000,000% - just blows my mind that people can drive with their kids running around inside the vehicle while traveling...and yes, why would they give a toss about your safety on the bike, if they don't even worry about the safety of their kids.

Archived