Garmin repairs

LouisLipz

My garmin 520 tabs have also just broken off. Sent the unit back to garmin via a reputable shop in CT. Unit is 18 months old. Guess I am not as lucky as the best garmin will do is offer me a refurbished unit.

Yup, if they have refurbished in stock they will use that. My 800 packed up last October and was replaced with a refurbished 820 unit as well. 

Edited by scotty

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only had fantastic service from Garmin.

Bought 810 Dropped it and cracked screen, sent it in.

No more 810, but for around 2k you can get the 820

Thanks Garmin

Forward 11 months, Screen gets blue ring and touch not working.

Sent in the 820, 

Received back the whole bundle

Forward 9 months and same thing happens

Sent in unit 

aaaannnddd 

received whole box brand new again. 

Just hope this one lasts.

Blue ring around the screen?

Mine is displaying that. Thought it's normal

Last week Monday I send mine in, and on Thursday it was replaced with a brand new one after paying R1800. It looks like the life span of these 520 units is around 18 months then you need to fork out +-2k for a replacement...my question is,is it really worth it to pay 2k every 18 months for a bike PC? If something goes wrong again the next 18 months I will have to consider buying a Wahoo.

I've had my 510 for over 5 years now, no problems................am I lucky, do I look after my stuff better or what?

I've had my 510 for over 5 years now, no problems................am I lucky, do I look after my stuff better or what?

My Garmin 500 also lasted for +-5 years. Looks like these newer Garmins aren't strong.

My Garmin 500 also lasted for +-5 years. Looks like these newer Garmins aren't strong.

Same here. Only had to replace mine after 6 years because the buttons on the side had worn out. If I was able to replace the buttons it probably would still have worked fine.

My 1st Garmin 520 lasted less than a year.

Have a 500 that has been is use up until about June last year.About 6/7 years i think and not one seconds worth of issues.Bought a second hand 520 off here and it too has been just fine.Long may that continue to be the case.

I am sure if i charge my 500 it will still operate like it should(fingers crossed).My partner still has hers and it is absolutely bullet proof.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a decent contact at Garmin repairs?

Sent my unit (810) in over a month ago, was quoted for a replacement unit, accepted quote, told it was on its way, and then only to be told 2 weeks later there is actually no stock of what they quoted on! Frustrated and getting nowhere!

• 9 months later...

I have a working not broken watch........... :ph34r:

Does anyone have a smashed up, defective, totally broken Garmin watch I could buy?

• 1 year later...

Thread hijack...I have an out of warranty Garmin Approach G6 - working perfectly except for the power button plastic housing that tore so unable to power on/off.

Was told by Garmin Support to hand it in at a Sportsmans Warehouse (Cape Town) to send in for assessment. They want to charge R500 "handling fee"! ????

Do all the SWHs charge the same (another thread referred to R100 charge) or is there any other way to get it to Garmin? Or even a private repair shop (suspect it only needs a back cover replacement) 

Emailed Garmin - still waiting for response.

1 hour ago, SiriS said:

Thread hijack...I have an out of warranty Garmin Approach G6 - working perfectly except for the power button plastic housing that tore so unable to power on/off.

Was told by Garmin Support to hand it in at a Sportsmans Warehouse (Cape Town) to send in for assessment. They want to charge R500 "handling fee"! ????

Do all the SWHs charge the same (another thread referred to R100 charge) or is there any other way to get it to Garmin? Or even a private repair shop (suspect it only needs a back cover replacement) 

Emailed Garmin - still waiting for response.

You should be able to courier it directly to Garmin yourself.

1 hour ago, HenryS said:

You should be able to courier it directly to Garmin yourself.

Yes, it will cost you R150 I think with postnet, they get it the next day and they are very quick to tell you what’s next !

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Yes, it will cost you R150 I think with postnet, they get it the next day and they are very quick to tell you what’s next !

I've sent mine with Courier Guy before and that worked great as well. So there are a few options

Log a ticket with Garmin.

they will send you confirmation email with repair/incident number that needs to be on the package. The email will include the address and information/details required.

I used Aramex, it was R99 and it arrived the following day before 2pm. If you use Aramex drop it off before 2pm, that’s hen they collect from stores/collection points.

Check this link to find a store close to you.

https://www.aramex.co.za/store-to-door-courier/