Garmin repairs

LouisLipz

I dropped my Garmin Edge 520. It caused the screen to crack and the GPS can no longer detect satellites.

What to do now?

Do I just send it to Garmin and hope it can be repaired?

Has anybody ever sent devices to Garmin for repair?

If so, what process do I follow to send it to them?

Any help will be much appreciated. I cannot fork out R6k for a new one.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

U can take to where u purchased it and they will sent it to Garmin or you can sent it them yourself.

They have a repair centre in Rosebank.

They will prob offer you a full replacement unit for just under 2K.

Garmin are doing all there own repairs now.

Speak to the guys at Navworld

http://navworld.co.za/

Navworld are no longer doing Garmin repairs. You have to send the device back to Garmin, preferably via your retailer, or, if you're in Joburg, you can take it to their offices.

Bought a replacement Garmin Heart Rate Monitor and strap from Nav World, Maitland on Saturday for R830...which is a very good price considering that I paid R895 for the strap alone a week earlier.

I dropped my Garmin Edge 520. It caused the screen to crack and the GPS can no longer detect satellites.

What to do now?

Do I just send it to Garmin and hope it can be repaired?

Has anybody ever sent devices to Garmin for repair?

If so, what process do I follow to send it to them?

Any help will be much appreciated. I cannot fork out R6k for a new one.

Wait wait wait, so screen cracked and does not connect to GPS? Sounds like you have a fully functioning Polar :P

Edited by Pure Savage

My tabs on the back of the Edge 520 (that allows it to grab hold of the mount) broke earlier this year. I sent it back to EvoBikes (bought it there), who sent it in to Garmin SA. They replaced it no questions asked in less than a week even though it was out of warranty - won me over as a client for life.

Send it in via the shop you bought it from - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My tabs on the back of the Edge 520 (that allows it to grab hold of the mount) broke earlier this year. I sent it back to EvoBikes (bought it there), who sent it in to Garmin SA. They replaced it no questions asked in less than a week even though it was out of warranty - won me over as a client for life.

Send it in via the shop you bought it from - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thats stellar!

• 8 months later...

My garmin 520 tabs have also just broken off. Sent the unit back to garmin via a reputable shop in CT. Unit is 18 months old. Guess I am not as lucky as the best garmin will do is offer me a refurbished unit. ????

My garmin 520 tabs have also just broken off. Sent the unit back to garmin via a reputable shop in CT. Unit is 18 months old. Guess I am not as lucky as the best garmin will do is offer me a refurbished unit.

Or get dog ears...

My garmin 520 tabs have also just broken off. Sent the unit back to garmin via a reputable shop in CT. Unit is 18 months old. Guess I am not as lucky as the best garmin will do is offer me a refurbished unit.

That sucks. 

But this is happening more and more. Bought a cover for my unit at Navworld and the sales guy recognised me as they arranged for my warranty replacement last year. He asked how the unit was performing and I gave positive feedback. He said good because the chances of getting a new replacement going forward is going to be determined by how much stock they have of refurbished units in the same model as the unit they are replacing.

Those days of a new unit every 15months seem to be gone

That sucks. 

But this is happening more and more. Bought a cover for my unit at Navworld and the sales guy recognised me as they arranged for my warranty replacement last year. He asked how the unit was performing and I gave positive feedback. He said good because the chances of getting a new replacement going forward is going to be determined by how much stock they have of refurbished units in the same model as the unit they are replacing.

Those days of a new unit every 15months seem to be gone

I have only had fantastic service from Garmin.

Bought 810 Dropped it and cracked screen, sent it in.

No more 810, but for around 2k you can get the 820

Thanks Garmin

Forward 11 months, Screen gets blue ring and touch not working.

Sent in the 820, 

Received back the whole bundle

Forward 9 months and same thing happens

Sent in unit 

aaaannnddd 

received whole box brand new again. 

Just hope this one lasts.

Last week Monday I send mine in, and on Thursday it was replaced with a brand new one after paying R1800. It looks like the life span of these 520 units is around 18 months then you need to fork out +-2k for a replacement...my question is,is it really worth it to pay 2k every 18 months for a bike PC? If something goes wrong again the next 18 months I will have to consider buying a Wahoo.