• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Momsen. As a proudly SA brand you should know the flag is always BLUE AT THE BOTTOM.

post-121150-0-73961700-1542349388_thumb.jpg

Edited by GHOST FACE

Hey Momsen. As a proudly SA brand you should know the flag is always BLUE AT THE BOTTOM.

maybe time to find another graphic designer!!!!!! they are better at bikes than icons on a website it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

some great exposure for GRAVEL BIKES and BIKEPACKING in SA from the guys at GetAway Magazine -- November issue which is on shelves around the country now.

our R355 CARBON and GP300 ALLOY models featured in a nice 6 page story!! "mainstream media" is already on the GRAVEL bandwagon!!!!

post-131547-0-34621500-1543316778_thumb.jpg

post-131547-0-23336600-1543316861_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

BICYCLING SA Mag giving our new "budget-friendly" CARBON GRAVEL R355 ONE some serious love in their Annual Buyer's Guide Issue.

These arrive on Monday ---- and will be available in limited sizes / qty from Authorized Dealers.

--- Shimano 2 x 11 Drivetrain ( yes, we were asked for more gears! )

--- Carbon Frame and Fork

--- based on our very popular 2018 R355 model but down specced to hit a slightly lower pricepoint and offer SHIMANO drivetrain 

Priced around the R 41,500 mark --- to be confirmed on arrival.

post-131547-0-48367500-1548996039_thumb.jpg

What options do you have for the kids that outgrow their 24'' MTB bikes ?

Would prefer to buy something with:

- hydraulic brakes

- decent fork

- hard tail

- Alu frame

- 2x10 or 2x11 setup ... might consider a 1x NX ....

Edited by ChrisF

I have always been a Momsen fan, but why do I see less stockists?

We are in February and I do not see many bike stores or online sites stocking the 2019 AL range. Is there a stock issue?

Seems like a lot of the focus has shifted towards the gravel and dual sus range.

Edited by Wimmas

hi Wimmas,

agree - less stockists but those that have bikes are stocking more depth. the local economy taking some punches and effecting what retailers can afford to carry on their floors.

our AL range is still our "bread-and-butter" and we have JUST LANDED the entry level AL029 / 129 bikes.

the past 12 months has seen growth in the Gravel range as we were arguably the first local brand to really embrace the category - our R355 CARBON was a big success for us! New 2019 stock just arrived as well - including the more affordable R355 ONE CARBON -- now with SHIMANO 105.

our VIPA ULTRA is our focus for now in the HIGH-END -- with stock of the SIZE 02 ( the L/XL size ) just having arrived in SA as well as COMPLETE BUILDS on the VIPA ULTRA in SRAM XO1.

post-131547-0-03834800-1549426101_thumb.jpg

post-131547-0-49475900-1549426167_thumb.jpg

thank you --- first shipment of bikes are due Early September - we are expecting our new and updated JSL ( Junior Superlight ) kids' bikes first. 

My little guy is going to upgrade to a 20incher soon, so will be looking forward to this!

Guys , all the other big brands have a RRP on the site. When looking at bikes I need to know what is the RRP, then I can shop around see who has a deal.. also helps me place the article in a bracket and compare.

The moment I have to phone around in the dark with no RRP to fall back on its over for me

My little guy is going to upgrade to a 20incher soon, so will be looking forward to this!

The "updated" 2019 JSL 20 is pretty much exactly the same as the 2018 model (just 7 speed, as opposed to 6 speed). 2019 is actually slightly heavier, but just ~250g).

Momsen seem to be the only easily available light kids bikes @ about 8.5kg (using rigid fork) compared to the rest of the market which are about 10.5kg (but with front suspension).

The "updated" 2019 JSL 20 is pretty much exactly the same as the 2018 model (just 7 speed, as opposed to 6 speed). 2019 is actually slightly heavier, but just ~250g).

Momsen seem to be the only easily available light kids bikes @ about 8.5kg (using rigid fork) compared to the rest of the market which are about 10.5kg (but with front suspension).

thanks - yes, our JSL20 is significantly lighter than just about every other true MTB with 20" wheels in the market.

we made some small changes to the spec in 2019 and one of the "upgrades" which we felt was necessary was the addition of a SEAT QR to ensure easy saddle height adjustment when out and about with a child. 

the bad news is that we are sold out and will not be getting any more stock until later this year -- you could contact our office on 041-3721418 to check who bought our last bikes and try to find one. 

Guys , all the other big brands have a RRP on the site. When looking at bikes I need to know what is the RRP, then I can shop around see who has a deal.. also helps me place the article in a bracket and compare.

The moment I have to phone around in the dark with no RRP to fall back on its over for me

sorry about that - we are not planning to load RRP to our website - our bikes are typically 10 to 15% less than "International" brands and a call to your nearest dealer would give you the most accurate price/offer on a particular model. They can also check stock availability via our B2B website.

an XT bike from us is similar price to an XT bike from another brand - just better priced and often better specced ... a simple phonecall will guarantee you the best deal from the dealer nearest you  :thumbup:

Maritz had a rigid 20'', which we replaced with the "heavy" Momsen 20'' with front shock.

For real trail riding the fork REALLY helps !! 

Granted the weight is a draw back, but going over rocks and roots you need that bit of suspension up front !!!!!!

sorry about that - we are not planning to load RRP to our website - our bikes are typically 10 to 15% less than "International" brands and a call to your nearest dealer would give you the most accurate price/offer on a particular model. They can also check stock availability via our B2B website.

an XT bike from us is similar price to an XT bike from another brand - just better priced and often better specced ... a simple phonecall will guarantee you the best deal from the dealer nearest you  :thumbup:

When we bought the Momsen 20'' it was nearer to 30% more expensive than the other options !!  

The selling point was the shock that "felt" better instore than on the other bikes.

We ENJOYED the bike !!

Would I have bought it "After a phone call" ?  Heck NO !!  We took a few weeks and stopped at most of the local bike shops, looking at the options available.  Final call was NOT based on price, purely on it being the best available 20'' bike.  Okay, there was one more expensive bike, but due to lack of stock we could not check it out in person .... scrapped from the list.

As per post #70, we are starting to look for Maritz's next bike - his 24'' will most probably be replaced later this year.  Was picking up my Spez shoes last week, and looked at their options.  Sales person tells me all about the one bike, and how it is available in XS ... yada yada .... So ask that they give me a call when they have stock, at which point we will look at it.  "Sorry, this is special order only".  NO thanks !  No way I am ordering something without having physically checked it out first.

So as per the various posts above :

- RRP would be appreciated  (this is the only way we have to know if a store is giving us a good deal...)

- list of dealers, that actually have stock

- stock on the floor where we can physically check out your products and see if it answers our needs.  We have some 10 odd bikeshops near us, yet we easily drive 80 to 125km one way to get to stores with stock to check out our options. (bought a lot of stuff in Worcester, even though we live in the Cape)

Just some thoughts  ....

Edited by ChrisF