South Africa - The Land of Inequality

Imploder

Which is exactly why I only use Zimbabweans when I want something done on my home. I once asked the Zimbabwean guy that owned his own business (he did my tiling) why he use only other Zimbabweans and no South Africans in his business. His answer was that they are lazy, clueless and not trustworthy.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing they did was to close all teacher training colleges.

Then they closed all the so called "trade" schools and many of the colleges.

If you were a white teacher or lecturer you got a package not utilized.

Yes I use the "they" word.

There was an outcry from the education world but to no avail.

Now our kids yes our kids can't read or add (nevermind math)

Our kids are our future.

Serious question. Who are the "they"?

Like the other said. Money and education are different things.

Yet you have commented on a few times that each and everyone should spend their money in using it to educate others!!

I was merely highlighting that whilst the millions might not always make it to the right place, a large majority of it does, more so than individuals trying to do it.... even with the discrepancies in scale of the spending, it still fails in africa .... and will continue to do so!!

Which is exactly why I only use Zimbabweans ................

After independence in 1980, Zim invested heavily (but never just throwing money at it) in an appropriate school education system and they now have much higher literacy rates than they did back then. Compared to SA they spent very little. They used the right model, did the basics right, consistently. You can say what you want about the country and the mess they got themselves into, but their school system outshines just about everyone else in Southern Africa, except (maybe) Botswana.

Edited by DJR

Yet you have commented on a few times that each and everyone should spend their money in using it to educate others!!

I was merely highlighting that whilst the millions might not always make it to the right place, a large majority of it does, more so than individuals trying to do it.... even with the discrepancies in scale of the spending, it still fails in africa .... and will continue to do so!!

I have advocated many things. Money, time, empathy. If you had paid attention to the money part I advocated doing it on a personal level not a government level as I think the ANC is too corrupt to make any kind of progress on education.

What would your solution be? You seem quick to criticize but slow to solve. Give us some ideas...

I have advocated many things. Money, time, empathy. If you had paid attention to the money part I advocated doing it on a personal level not a government level as I think the ANC is too corrupt to make any kind of progress on education.

What would your solution be? You seem quick to criticize but slow to solve. Give us some ideas...

Not criticizing, but stating facts or should i say truths, as for a solution. having looked at the rest of Africa, worked in a lot of it and seen the mentality of a continent... perhaps there is no solution... you can lead a horse to water and pour more and more water ... yet get the same result!!

The continent as a whole is one of taking and squandering, SA is no different... no matter how anyone thinks they can change that!!

As for government doing anything to improve that via education, it isn't going to happen... they have long realised that an ill educated population with the majority on welfare are not going to question what they are doing or up to or question the hand that feeds them.  It makes it easy for them to control.

Edited by shaper

Not criticizing, but stating facts or should i say truths, as for a solution. having looked at the rest of Africa, worked in a lot of it and seen the mentality of a continent... perhaps there is no solution... you can lead a horse to water and pour more and more water ... yet get the same result!!

The continent as a whole is one of taking and squandering, SA is no different... no matter how anyone thinks they can change that!!

As for government doing anything to improve that via education, it isn't going to happen... they have long realised that an ill educated population with the majority on welfare are not going to question what they are doing or up to or question the hand that feeds them. It makes it easy for them to control.

Neither facts nor truths. Opinions are what you're stating.

Luckily nay sayers like you have no effect on my efforts. I will continue to change the 1,2 or 10 lives I can. You should do the same. It is way more rewarding than moaning.

Government

(seriously)

Cool. I keep lapsing into using "government" too but in my opinion the DA has the ability to run the country satisfactorily (not well but WAY better than the ANC and EFF) so I exclude the from "government".

After independence in 1980, Zim invested heavily (but never just throwing money at it) in an appropriate school education system and they now have much higher literacy rates than they did back then. Compared to SA they spent very little. They used the right model, did the basics right, consistently. You can say what you want about the country and the mess they got themselves into, but their school system outshines just about everyone else in Southern Africa, except (maybe) Botswana.

Which is exactly why I only use Zimbabweans when I want something done on my home. I once asked the Zimbabwean guy that owned his own business (he did my tiling) why he use only other Zimbabweans and no South Africans in his business. His answer was that they are lazy, clueless and not trustworthy.

I work a bit in Zim and agree fully. Their education levels are way ahead of SA and the people are generally hard working. 

Luckily nay sayers like you have no effect on my efforts. I will continue to change the 1,2 or 10 lives I can. You should do the same. It is way more rewarding than moaning.

Unfortunately the current status quo is making it harder and harder for the middle class to support people like you suggested.

Its not that they dont want to, they just cant do it anymore.

Edited by Escapee..

If that is what you believe then so be it, and everyone here offers an opinion... whereas my original post stated a fact and actual situation i experience directly, and have seen so on many occasions since..

I continue to work in the townships of Dobsonville and Nancefield uplifting the area with building of social housing, through parastatal bodies like JOSHCO and SHRA.  I also work in the CBD converting old office blocks to social housing.. I deal with the community almost daily, have our construction site closed every other month due to community unrest....  the bottom line is always they want the money, do not want to be educated or even up-sklilled on a construction site or to work for it and have no real interest in being uplifted.  Money in hand to squander is all that they are interested in.

So before you judge, you are also welcome to your opinion sitting on the other side of the world.... whilst some of us work at the coal face as to say, dealing with it every day!

Perhaps we should have this conversation in 5 years time and see whether your efforts or mine have had the greater impact... whether the ones on the right like it or not?

Edited by shaper

If that is what you believe then so be it, and everyone here offers an opinion... whereas my original post stated a fact and actual situation i experience directly, and have seen so on many occasions since..

I continue to work in the townships of Dobsonville and Nancefield uplifting the area with building of social housing, through parastatal bodies like JOSHCO and SHRA. I also work in the CBD converting old office blocks to social housing.. I deal with the community almost daily, have our construction site closed every other month due to community unrest.... the bottom line is always they want the money, do not want to be educated or even up-sklilled on a construction site or to work for it and have no real interest in being uplifted. Money in hand to squander is all that they are interested in.

So before you judge, you are also welcome to your opinion sitting on the other side of the world.... whilst some of us work at the coal face as to say, dealing with it every day!

Perhaps we should have this conversation in 5 years time and see whether your efforts or mine have had the greater impact... whether the ones on the right like it or not?

Again with the location based assumption.

What if I tokd you I have an import company that buys products fron SA and sells them in Europe generating foreign income for SA? That and I support Qhubeka heavily both personally and through local Danish companies.

You get paid to build houses so do I win the who is a better SA citizen assumption test?

Also - who is the "they"? All black South Afticans?

As for government doing anything to improve that via education, it isn't going to happen... they have long realised that an ill educated population with the majority on welfare are not going to question what they are doing or up to or question the hand that feeds them.  It makes it easy for them to control.

^This has been something I have been saying for a long time now. In order to control a population you keep the majority ignorant and cultivate beliefs that your leadership has your best interests at heart, leadership should never be questioned though.

Uneducated people are far less likely to question your decisions and compare what is happening locally to the rest of the world. Uneducated people are also often ruled by superstition and similar beliefs which are easy to manipulate to suit your agenda.

Again with the location based assumption.

What if I tokd you I have an import company that buys products fron SA and sells them in Europe generating foreign income for SA? That and I support Qhubeka heavily both personally and through local Danish companies.

You get paid to build houses so do I win the who is a better SA citizen assumption test?

Also - who is the "they"? All black South Afticans?

So location of being actually involved with communities has no merit in your arguments?  If being dismissive of such, by all means if it emphasizes you to prove a point by all means use it.

My reference of being here on the ground dealing with it on a daily basis is because of your wrong assumption of my earlier opinion as you call it.

I fail to see where you need to score further points of who is a better citizen as you are doing a job as am I, but as highlighted my close contact with people on the ground will give a more accurate perspective than supporting a charity...... so as Odison says, feel free to keep swinging!