Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

https://theworldnews.net/gb-news/london-stabbings-2018-latest-knife-crime-statistics-and-attacks-in-bow-walworth-camberwell-and-kingston

It is a lot more frequent than you think and only getting worse!!  There have been over 100 murders just in London alone, as for the rest of the UK, I do not know and cannot compare it to your quote of SA verses my comment on London.... maybe compare Joburg with London and not SA with London......

My point was more to the "woe is me" attitude that many seem to have, because they believe it is endemic to just their little world.... when all over the world it is becoming a sad day and not just here!

Personally I would feel a lot less safe cycling and seeing fellow cyclists wearing bullet proof vests and carrying.... and possibly getting trigger happy !!

I have to take this point up. To compare the crime rate in UK to ZA is an exercise in futility. You are something like 700 times more likely to be murdered in ZA than UK and and something like 3000 times more likely to be a victim of violence in ZA than UK. LEt that sink in for a moment.

Agree, since Khan took over, London crime rates have increased dramatically, they are still very low compared to ZA when taken per capita. But if i read the press steps are being taken. A lot of the knife murders here are gang related and alcohol related over weekends etc. (and i accept a lot of murder in ZA is related to the same things)

Back to the topic, i see many initiaves are being implemented in the cradle to prevent a reoccurrence and this is good, bike theft has been going on for years, hopefully this will reduce that to a certain degree.

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to take this point up. To compare the crime rate in UK to ZA is an exercise in futility. You are something like 700 times more likely to be murdered in ZA than UK and and something like 3000 times more likely to be a victim of violence in ZA than UK. LEt that sink in for a moment.

Agree, since Khan took over, London crime rates have increased dramatically, they are still very low compared to ZA when taken per capita. But if i read the press steps are being taken. A lot of the knife murders here are gang related and alcohol related over weekends etc. (and i accept a lot of murder in ZA is related to the same things)

Back to the topic, i see many initiaves are being implemented in the cradle to prevent a reoccurrence and this is good, bike theft has been going on for years, hopefully this will reduce that to a certain degree.

I agree with you!

This incident is in reality not the real problem that SA cyclists face.

The dangers we face as cyclists are the hit and runs, muggings, theft, dangerous drivers etc etc

So while there had been much noise around this incident, our real problems are not going away anytime soon. So it’s actually not so hunky dory if we look at the bigger picture.

You are correct but we are focussing on the Cradle 

It was not an attempt to compare... but more to point out that the world is becoming a sad place and not just here in peoples little bubble.

Be thankful that the UK is not a gun friendly place, else the murder rate would be much higher, considering the article quoted over 40,000 knife related crimes.  

The only steps I see being taken are flying a Khan blimp in a bikini and petitions requesting his removal.... not sure they are going to do much!!

oohh nooo.. i have to comment.. the UK banned guns... and the result is that criminals still injure and murder... now with knives... and how to defend against a knife? I don't want a long debate but i am fully pro-gun rights and with a gun you can defend against an attacker who has a knife or gun. Khan is a fool and is leading London down a slippery slope. 

It was not an attempt to compare... but more to point out that the world is becoming a sad place and not just here in peoples little bubble.

Be thankful that the UK is not a gun friendly place, else the murder rate would be much higher, considering the article quoted over 40,000 knife related crimes.  

The only steps I see being taken are flying a Khan blimp in a bikini and petitions requesting his removal.... not sure they are going to do much!!

oohh nooo.. i have to comment.. the UK banned guns... and the result is that criminals still injure and murder... now with knives... and how to defend against a knife? I don't want a long debate but i am fully pro-gun rights and with a gun you can defend against an attacker who has a knife or gun. Khan is a fool and is leading London down a slippery slope. 

Can you expand on this statement?

In what way is he a fool? What is this slippery slope?

Sure-

First off- I have my view and you have yours- mine may be more conservative than yours as I suspect it is and thus a long debate is pointless- you and I are allowed to have differing views.

The strict gun control of Kahn is not working- criminals know that victims are unarmed and you have this explosion of crime in Greater London using knives but not only knives there is also an alarming increase in cruel acid attacks.

His anti American views I find disturbing. The UK and US have always had strong bonds and ties.

Kahn plays down the terror threat which I find naive and foolish. 

Since he came to office crime is up into double % points and this is the slippery slope I refer to.. he is not taking responsibility for crime, instead he blames police cuts.

NYC cut crime a while ago using tough measures and looking at petty crime too- the London police used to stop and search people- Kahn put a stop to that with his PC attitudes which simply do not work as the figures now show.....

Can you expand on this statement?

The blimp was fantastic , the english are wonderful in that regard...there was even a movement here to ensure Green Days american idiot would be number one when trump landed here. not sure that was achieved. The blimp was a great swipe at khan btw, the beauty of english politics.

Khan is under pressure, there is a ground swell of anti khan and its growing due to crime increasing. more coppers are now on the beat etc.... ppl are being held accountable here, thats important. He is being forced to do things not just talk.

i aint arguing, we gone way off track, crime is increasing world wide for sure , Idocracy is a documentary not a movie.

Sure-

First off- I have my view and you have yours- mine may be more conservative than yours as I suspect it is and thus a long debate is pointless- you and I are allowed to have differing views.

The strict gun control of Kahn is not working- criminals know that victims are unarmed and you have this explosion of crime in Greater London using knives but not only knives there is also an alarming increase in cruel acid attacks.

His anti American views I find disturbing. The UK and US have always had strong bonds and ties.

Since he came to office crime is up into double % points and this is the slippery slope I refer to.. he is not taking responsibility for crime, instead he blames police cuts.

NYC cut crime a while ago using tough measures and looking at petty crime too- the London police used to stop and search people- Kahn put a stop to that with his PC attitudes which simply do not work as the figures now show.....

Absolutely we are allowed having opposing views. I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking to try and understand your point of view. I don't know him very well, but he might be a bigger part of my life soon. So its about getting some different views for me to form an opinion on.

On the highlighted part, why do you think the crime has gone up because of him? Wasn't the gun control pretty much the same before he took office?

Kahn is very anti gun and only furthers this agenda. But not just that- his PC views are so extremely left wing that the hands of the police are tied in many instances to combat crime eg who to interview, who to arrest, who to interrogate etc. 

Absolutely we are allowed having opposing views. I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking to try and understand your point of view. I don't know him very well, but he might be a bigger part of my life soon. So its about getting some different views for me to form an opinion on.

On the highlighted part, why do you think the crime has gone up because of him? Wasn't the gun control pretty much the same before he took office?

Edited by scubes

Sure-

Hold the phone - stop and search was restricted in the early 2000’s due to a lot of nonsense about racial profiling and the met police supposedly being “institutionally racist”, which is a made-up thing, imho. Kahn has not been soft on crime, and police numbers have been cut, along with reductions in social support, mental health support and lately uncontrolled immigration, resulting in an increase in personal crime across the U.K.

Guns were largely banned in the U.K. after the hungerford incident many years ago, and Sadiq khan had nothing to do with that.

He is not soft on terrorism, rather he insists that Londoners should not be afraid of terrorists.

On the gun matter, I am on your side, in fact probably far to the right of you, but you do yourself or gun advocates no favours when you don’t have your facts straight