The injury thread

coppi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst part is I've entered 3 Towers for end September..............don't think its gonna happen  :thumbdown:

Trainer and a brace - should be ok - tight but ok

Crashed coming off the container at Hartebeesport DH champs this year (50m from the finish) - aside from the broken ribs and vertebrae - the bruise on my back looked just like the holes in the fox plastics.... and no - I am not publishing that photo. :)

Took about 3 weeks to walk upright again, and about 6 weeks to laugh without crying...

of all the accidents motor car...motor bike and bicycle...the worse was the M4...that accident just seem to go on and on...it must have taken a couple of seconds...but the sounds we experienced and not knowing if you are gona be hit...or what is actually going on behind you...not being able to see what is coming at you...trying to stay focused on keeping your line so that you dont drop the group...and not a scratch...yet it has left the biggest scar.

it i could go back in time...one accident i wish i could erase...doing a front flip with my daughter sitting on the crossbar...she has lost total trust...will not even go for a ride with me on a motor bike...the sad thing is she is the first and only passenger i have fallen with...at the slowest speed ever.

I watched a car T bone the passenger door where i was sitting as we reversed out of a driveway...3 times over the top of motor cars...twice on a motor bike and once on a bicycle.

head on collision with another motor bike...clutch lever through my arm.

hit a steel pole with the right side of my body (GPZ 1100)...which left my right arm bust for around 2 years...still not right but it works...hectic bruising from head to toe.

lots of minor off road motor bike mishaps...riding a yz 490 ...was more than i could handle...which resulted in few painful experiences.

been a quite a few bicycle mishaps...most recent the tree jumped out and dropped me to the ground...still trying to get over it...the worse part is there are only like 3 minor tattoos from the chain ring...light pins and needles in the right side of my face...I feel fine while doing normal daily routines....yet  i cant push myself...it is so frustrating...at least with broken bones etc...you know you out the for a period of time. 

from all my accident experiences...one thing i have learnt is dont hit anything...as soon as you make contact with a tree...barrier...pole etc...you gona hurt or break parts.

a bit of road rash can be cleaned up and heals quick...only when you take the skin off the palm of your hands or your finger and toes nails come off that it gets flippen eeeina.

Duke of Hazard is that you? 

Awesome thread! I'll throw my hat into the ring... yes that's both left and right wrists almost identical damage unfortunately I can't find the before xrays where there were bits of bone fragments floating around...

deleted

Edited by TALUS

Crashed coming off the container at Hartebeesport DH champs this year (50m from the finish) - aside from the broken ribs and vertebrae - the bruise on my back looked just like the holes in the fox plastics.... and no - I am not publishing that photo. :)

Took about 3 weeks to walk upright again, and about 6 weeks to laugh without crying...

Wow.... did not know

Hope you recovered 100%

About that photo... come on you know you want to

Edited by SwissVan

Broken scaphoid (same one twice,once mtb, once bouldering)

Broken stiloid (spelling?) process (bouldering)

Torn ACL(action netball,) PCL (mtb) and Meniscus (netball.)

Lots of roasties and about 30stitches just on one knee, from mtb and generally being a rough kid.

Oh and torn ligaments between c6 and 7 vertebrae in my neck from rugby. This was the worst, traction for a week followed by three months in a neck brace. That one could have ended so differently....

Nope.....Not Identical. One has a possible screw in the joint. Not enough views to be 100% certain but strong suspicion. If so - must come out ASAP. The downside of public medicine I suppose...

Well it's been 2 years and both wrists feel ok. I remember the occupational therapist being amazed how quickly I got most of my movement back and how much flexibility I have. From time of crash to getting back onto the trails was about 3 months. I had a brilliant orthopedic surgeon, even he looked shocked when he saw that I had broken both wrists... all in all not that bad when I think back to how they looked and how things turned out. I will try find some before pics or xrays.

As for the identical part I did mention almost well that's according to the Dr that did the surgery but the right one was definitely worse as I think I put my right hand out first to brace for impact????

Edited by andrewdh

Duke of Hazard is that you? 

it seems i am in good company following this thread ;)

doc reckons i should take up knitting...any tips?

it seems i am in good company following this thread ;)

doc reckons i should take up knitting...any tips?

Don't know if you are safe knitting even, with your history you will most likely end up stabbing yourself in the eye with a knitting needle :eek:

Well it's been 2 years and both wrists feel ok. I remember the occupational therapist being amazed how quickly I got most of my movement back and how much flexibility I have. From time of crash to getting back onto the trails was about 3 months. I had a brilliant orthopedic surgeon, even he looked shocked when he saw that I had broken both wrists... all in all not that bad when I think back to how they looked and how things turned out. I will try find some before pics or xrays.

As for the identical part I did mention almost well that's according to the Dr that did the surgery but the right one was definitely worse as I think I put my right hand out first to brace for impact

Jip. I shouldnt have commented. Deleted this first thing this morning, Too late. Please ignore my post and accept my apology.

Jip. I shouldnt have commented. Deleted this first thing this morning, Too late. Please ignore my post and accept my apology.

No worries ???? no tissues needed ????

• 2 months later...

Been 3 weeks since I bailed on the spruit just over that cement bridge, was hitting the jumps there landed wrong and fell directly on my right hip fracturing the top of the femur just below the ball joint. 3 screws later to join the bones back up. I should be able to do some stationery bike stuff on 5 weeks, with no resistance.

Happy days, been at home for 3 weeks, first day back at work on crutches. No weight on my right leg for another 3 weeks. Still can’t drive, what a complete mess up!! Anyway such is life of a mountain biker. Anyone here riding again properly after a hip repair?