[Event] The Cycle Lab Cycle4Good

kirstenhoff

The BSSS was a series. I think 4 or 5 races over the last few months. Last was a week ago.I think riders are scared of crits because they are hard racing on the limit. I remember guys rather doing a training ride last year than racing Helivac races.

Ah yes, I rode in the BSSS events (unfortunately not riding tomorrow). I've actually been trying to get info about the BSSS Crit around Swartkops. I do enjoy the hard style of Crits, but it is not everyone's flavour.

Either way, have a good one. I think we share the same valley and maybe the same bike (GT?).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more sleep... will be there in my MTB free ride shoes, mismatched kit and fired up legs. Bring it on, weekend warriors ????

Rode it. loved it.

was dangerous.

effectively the elites had a few cat racers included in their ranks.

the weekend warriors race was dangerous at best.

slower riders started getting lapped on their first lap! going past that many people with those speed differentials was very very dangerous

Saw some very broken peeps at the u-turn on the other side of the N1 (Waterfal Logistics Precinct entrance). I.t.o. a crit, it should be shorter, so the general public can view everyone on the route. The entire route could have been done on the Eastern side of the mall. Up/down the three access roads plus the section over the N1.

That's how I would have done it.

Did the weekend warrior, great fun, lapped a lot of riders but the race was spread out enough that there were no problems with slower riders. Only issue, the organisers should give some indication of laps completed, I realize that is not easy.

480 riders in 1 category on a 4 k circuit ??? Scary!!

I doubt that there was 480 riders in total.

A lot of money spent on a very well organized setup as far as the entertainment food stalls and venue is concerned.

Awesome venue with perfect viewing spot from the terrace to follow the races.

Start needs to be separated from the finish or moved off the loop. Lots of riders were hanging around on the course waiting to start the next race. I think they were lucky they did not get the thousands that they had hoped for, there would surely have been a crash or two next to the start/finish area.

My suggestions :

• Prize Giving:
    • Have a proper prize giving for each cat directly after the cat has raced or have at least two prize givings. A couple of kids (and parents) waited 4 hours for a prize giving that did not materialize. Will not hang around next year.
    • Have decent prizes for all racing cats and advertise these beforehand, that way you will draw the racing snakes. There was clearly a big enough budget for the event.
  • Have a Sprog event (U11+U13)
  • Have a Youth Racing Cat (U15-U17)
  • Have a Masters racing Cat (Men and Women)
  • Shorten the weekend warrior cat or lose it altogether (We will still come and watch if there is good racing) , this is a crit after all, there are enough normal road races out there.

I think that trying to cater for all bikes and all types of riders may not be a good idea. Pull riders that get lapped, rather than delay your next cat by half an hour.

It needs to be crisp, fast and hard and you must do something to draw all the best racers in Gauteng to your venue.

Crit racing is an awesome concept, It is an awesome venue and I hope you get it right next year.

I doubt that there was 480 riders in total.

A lot of money spent on a very well organized setup as far as the entertainment food stalls and venue is concerned.

Awesome venue with perfect viewing spot from the terrace to follow the races.

Start needs to be separated from the finish or moved off the loop. Lots of riders were hanging around on the course waiting to start the next race. I think they were lucky they did not get the thousands that they had hoped for, there would surely have been a crash or two next to the start/finish area.

My suggestions :

• Prize Giving:
    • Have a proper prize giving for each cat directly after the cat has raced or have at least two prize givings. A couple of kids (and parents) waited 4 hours for a prize giving that did not materialize. Will not hang around next year.
    • Have decent prizes for all racing cats and advertise these beforehand, that way you will draw the racing snakes. There was clearly a big enough budget for the event.
  • Have a Sprog event (U11+U13)
  • Have a Youth Racing Cat (U15-U17)
  • Have a Masters racing Cat (Men and Women)
  • Shorten the weekend warrior cat or lose it altogether (We will still come and watch if there is good racing) , this is a crit after all, there are enough normal road races out there.

I think that trying to cater for all bikes and all types of riders may not be a good idea. Pull riders that get lapped, rather than delay your next cat by half an hour.

It needs to be crisp, fast and hard and you must do something to draw all the best racers in Gauteng to your venue.

Crit racing is an awesome concept, It is an awesome venue and I hope you get it right next year.

And Please sanction early, I know of a number of riders that chose to not do the race because it was not sanctioned until the last minute.