Enduro on a budget...

Letum911

Hey All, 

So this was my solution to a budget enduro build. The bike started out life as a 2011 GT Fury I bought from the classifieds on Bike Hub, thereafter is was a case of raiding the box o spares I have in the garage and scanning the classifieds on a daily basis to find components to complete the build. 

Build at this point in time (changes as "new" "better" parts come up for sale)

Frame 2011 GT Fury Alloy

1X10 XTR M986, with 11-40 sunrace cassette.

32 tooth narrow wide Rapide chain ring on the standard Truvativ Decent cranks.

Boxxer RC (coil spring, yellow soft to be exact)

Fox Van shock

XT brake levers with Deore calipers (mix and match from the garage, didnt like what was on the bike)

Lyne Contour dropper post

All and all this build has cost around 13k.

I have put just under 500km on her and whilst not the most pedal friendly bike certainly not the worst. I have made a few tweaks in those 500km to make the ride better, I got rid of the direct mount stem in favour of a 60mm stem to give a bit better reach, and lower the bar height. I have also "lowered" the crowns further down the stanchions by 20mm (180mm of stanchion between top of lower and bottom of crown in stead of the normal 200mm), I dont push the bike to the point that i will exceed 180mm of travel, but this does help lower the front end to keep the front wheel down when going uphill.

attachicon.gifIMG_5625.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_5626.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_5630.jpg

Respect for climbing that thing. Even with all the changes.

I once had the same idea in my head too.

A single crown 180mm fork on my Glory was as far as I went though. 

In the end I left her as she was meant to be. 

There's just some things your can't compensate for.

The main problem isn't the front end, weight, or all that travel.

Its the slack seat tube. With the dropper fully extended into the climb position.

All your body weight is resting on the back tyre while you're trying to climb it.

No doubt you can. Especially if you pace yourself. It beats pushing and hike a bike for damn sure. But the struggle does gets tedious eventually. You have to decide for yourself how worth it that is. Because nothing smashes descents better than a proper dh bike. 

I personally would not have compromised on stem length.

Even at an 'almost forgivable' 60mm. Athough I think ratboy rode a 60mm on his v10.

Might be mistaken. 

Having said all that if you really wish to take advantage of its descending abilities I would swop out the front tyre for something more aggressive. A De Baron would do nicely on there. Save the mountain king as a rear replacement when the time comes.

Check back in a couple weeks to let us know if you're still soldiering on.

How far behind your mates you are on the climbs and how much quicker you are on the descents. 

Enduro on a budget...

The actual question is really, how tough is the general run of the mill enduro tracks? Is it possible to ride them, well enough to enjoy it and not feel like the bike is killing you, on a budget bike?

At this stage I own a DS Merida One-Twenty 26'er with some decent parts on there for it's age. XT brakes, SLX groupset.

My thinking was to upgrade the fork to something with 130mm travel and do an upgrade on the quality of the rear suspension. All and all I reckon I can do this for around R12k.

Would you consider this as an option, or is it better to hang on a bit and buy a second hand machine for R20k?

I'm busy doing this too, although trying enduro events are not my sole intent I guess...just thought since i'm building a long travel hardtail I might as well go have a look what these guys get up too at enduro events

The thing will pedal uphill like crap anyway so might as well go throw it down some things. Sounds fun from what i can tell.

Masochism? just get a headset cap with your safe word on it or write it on your top tube. Make it something easy like: Flüggåenkoēcchicebölsen :ph34r:.

I'm also building a new 26" bike. crazy right? Going by my recent experiences, finding the new "old" stock you'll be surprised at the level of stuff you can get for a fraction of what they cost new. 

I'm busy doing this too, although trying enduro events are not my sole intent I guess...just thought since i'm building a long travel hardtail I might as well go have a look what these guys get up too at enduro events

The thing will pedal uphill like crap anyway so might as well go throw it down some things. Sounds fun from what i can tell.

Masochism? just get a headset cap with your safe word on it or write it on your top tube. Make it something easy like: Flüggåenkoēcchicebölsen :ph34r:.

I'm also building a new 26" bike. crazy right? Going by my recent experiences, finding the new "old" stock you'll be surprised at the level of stuff you can get for a fraction of what they cost new. 

more and more all mountain LTHT popping up ..... and mine pedals uphill rather well.

more and more all mountain LTHT popping up ..... and mine pedals uphill rather well.

yup...and even in 26" they are sexy AF.

in anycase, 26+ is already being marketed as a thing to people with short memories so i'll just wait till I can buy some minion DHF's in 26"x2.7 locally then ill be cool like the rest  :D

post-64325-0-30283200-1539010141_thumb.jpg

What is an enduro track/trail? and where are they (apart from ezel and klipberg which is not otherwise open for general riding)?

A trail is a trail is a trail, and is ride-able with any bike.

If you're happy taking the chicken line then you are 100% correct (are you really riding the trail then?)... If you want to do the bits that make it fun then good luck with that theory! 

• 5 months later...

Hey guys! Is there any use trying to do a local enduro on a Silverback Sola 2? Fox Float 32 on there (110mm). Not looking to get any results, rather just the experience to check it out.

81abbad7502529b5fb42704052ece778.jpg

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

If you are going for the experience you can do it on most mountain bikes similar to your bike, it is just more about knowing your own limits both for yourself as rider and your bike and riding within that. Do what you feel confident with and have a good day, that is all.

Enduro racing in SA  is the same as your normal Strava runs, only difference is you pay R400 and get a medal. 

You pedal up, have a picnic and drop in...

I think only Iron Monkey, Plumber in Jonkershoek and then maybe Mexican Border on Helderberg trails have any real challenges for racers....rest is the same.  (I cant speak for the other provinces)  Klipberg, Ezel and Lesotho is a different story as fitness really come into play.

As said,  because you are running against the clock you will go maybe beyond your skill level and then see your gat around a normal turn or little drop.

Edited by MDK!

Hey guys! Is there any use trying to do a local enduro on a Silverback Sola 2? Fox Float 32 on there (110mm). Not looking to get any results, rather just the experience to check it out.

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

Drop your saddle and Gooi!! Yes you can. 

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

Enduro is a race format (ie, timed on certain segments only), and not reallg a reflection of the course's difficulty. Obviously the norm is to try and find more difficult and technical terain to go down - but the reality is that terain isn't so abundant in SA - most of our trails are doable on a hardtail (incl something like Iron Monkey in Jonkers - it's just not very fun haha).

The only Enduros I would steer you away from on your bike (that I know of) is Jonkershoek, Ezel, Klipberg, and Kingdom - but I have a feeling you are not asking about those anyway.

Saddle up, and enjoy the Enduro! Just know your limits, luckily the crowd is not one to judge if someone gets off and pushes down something. Oh and like another hubber said, just drop your saddle at the top of a timed stage!

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. Exactly what I needed to know. Did a few enduros when I used to ride motorbike and found that it was a great way to see more routes, get to know a community and get better as a rider. Looking to do the Wellington (Dirtopia) enduro in May. If any of you see a newbie on a Silverback hardtail, please come and say hi!

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. Exactly what I needed to know. Did a few enduros when I used to ride motorbike and found that it was a great way to see more routes, get to know a community and get better as a rider. Looking to do the Wellington (Dirtopia) enduro in May. If any of you see a newbie on a Silverback hardtail, please come and say hi!

——

2015 - Silverback Sola 2

Awesome, enjoy it! The Dirtopia series is a great intro into enduro. Will be doing the one in April myself.