Hawk 3000 Lumens Bicycle light

BSG

Hi all.

Can anyone give me feedback on said bicycle light please. I can get it for R1200.00 whereas the Extreme lighting lights are way more expensive.

My Extreme lighting 900 lumen light is gone, weg, verdwyn, lost and I need to get a new one.

Thanks in advance.733b91a40c787c2b6c2386ec16d09edb.jpg

Hmmm.  There are so many variations of them but they all come propably from the same factory in China.  They work alright and are very bright (well so bright that they are in most cases actually illegal to be used as bike lights here in Germany).  I just think that is expensive.  I bought one last year for 25€.  My concern is the battery on the min level only lasts about 90 mins.  I see I can buy them now for 5-10€.  I also do not like the seperate batery hanging around. Will be trying something different this year.

Hi all.

Can anyone give me feedback on said bicycle light please. I can get it for R1200.00 whereas the Extreme lighting lights are way more expensive.

My Extreme lighting 900 lumen light is gone, weg, verdwyn, lost and I need to get a new one.

Thanks in advance.733b91a40c787c2b6c2386ec16d09edb.jpg

Hi BSG,

The Cree XM/L T6 generally don't produce 1000 lumens or more without proper maintained cooling and high enough amperage, so its very unlikely that this like will output more than lets say 1800 lumen. Price wise, if it has a battery pack that supports the length of riding you need, its a good enough light at a fair enough price. I've seen some lights similar to that one, if not the exact one, and their light output is sufficient for me to do trail training with.

Good luck with your choice :)

For interest sake, here is a link with a graph explaining it.

Edited by Dirkitech

Thanks everyone for your time and input.

I know it normally doesn't deliver that amount of lumens, was actually more concerned with what battery life is/will be and opinions on rather spend the higher amount on a Extreme lighting one? I've got a option on the smaller one as well, just not sure about the price on it.ff1a996e4a19bad72fea5f83bb55a8a3.jpg

Edited by BSG

Personally I don't think the battery life or quality can be fully gauged for that hawk light set without someone posting first hand experience. I do know from own experience that if I wanted a reliable, long lasting battery pack, I'd cough up for the extreme light product. My EL headlight simply lasts days and days and days when using the low or strobe function.

Hi as stated this light won't push 3,000 lumens not ever.

post-51031-0-58755000-1535546541_thumb.jpg

The battery pack is 4400 mah pushing 2 of these LEDs- thus each one is driven at 2200 mah so the theoretical max output is around 761 lumens for each LED. That is with a fully charged battery and optimal conditions and assuming the light cools well.

Thus your max output for the light in theory is 1,522 lumens (half of 3,000). But you will get less on the trail and especially after the power drops from 100%. This light has no power option of constant current vs dropping from 100% to prolong max battery life. The power will drop from 100% from switch on and after heating up. 

See this- http://www.light-test.info/en/faq-en/171-cree-xm-l-1000-chinese-lumens

You may get around 1,000 real lumens at best for a while on the trail. Then you decide if that is worth the money.  

You mentioned EXTREME Lights-

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/endurance-bicycle-light-1

For 2k here you get honest lumens- 3 of the CREEs pushing around 700 lumens each on max (boost) for a total of 2,100 lumens.

Running them comfortably on 250 lumens each for a total of 750 lumens on high... gives you 10 hours of light. 

Based on this your twin eyes light after a while will give you a real 500 lumens output figure... a far cry from their ridiculous claim of 3,000 lying lumens.

Extreme Lights are honest at least with their runtimes etc. It is a Chinese light yes but better quality than the twin eyes you are looking at for 1.2k- I'd buy the Extreme lights one but that is just me. 

Good luck.

Edited by scubes

Personally I don't think the battery life or quality can be fully gauged for that hawk light set without someone posting first hand experience. I do know from own experience that if I wanted a reliable, long lasting battery pack, I'd cough up for the extreme light product. My EL headlight simply lasts days and days and days when using the low or strobe function.

My experience as well, but another R1000 plus for almost the same light, is going to hurt a lot. :blush: :blink: even if I go for the cheaper one.

Edited by BSG

My experience as well, but another R1000 plus for almost the same light, is going to hurt a lot. :blush: :blink: even if I go for the cheaper one.

I was in the same boat recently- battery life or lower expense. I ended up getting a marvel light box from CWC on special. So far the light output is close enough to the extreme lights output, but yes, the EL batteries last significantly longer.

It sucks that your previous light was lost, but if it helps decide, see it as though you're paying for battery life here, so the R1000+++  paid at EL should result in longer battery life. One day when you're away from a charger and having used the light for a week, hopefully then you'll get that feeling of "thank goodness I invested in the better battery pack"!

I was in the same boat recently- battery life or lower expense. I ended up getting a marvel light box from CWC on special. So far the light output is close enough to the extreme lights output, but yes, the EL batteries last significantly longer.

It sucks that your previous light was lost, but if it helps decide, see it as though you're paying for battery life here, so the R1000+++ paid at EL should result in longer battery life. One day when you're away from a charger and having used the light for a week, hopefully then you'll get that feeling of "thank goodness I invested in the better battery pack"!

Aggggg ja, that is true and with summer on the way I'd rather wait for Mother Christmas.[emoji6]

Just to add - I had the Lenser XEO 19R a mean light- with 2 CREE LEDs, sold it recently.

I found a German test which gave an honest review of it. The max output as stated by Lenser is 2000 lumens which is accurate given that each LED cannot push much more than 1000 lumens.

the review found that on boost the light pushed a real output of 1700 lumens. Which is good and close to 2000, but it cannot sustain that due to the heat buildup, no light can unless it has amazing cooling.

The light then dropped to 1,000 lumens on high- and after a while settled at 700 real lumens. 

Most lights will follow the same pattern- and this was an expensive light R3000+.

The Extreme lights that many people use are thus good options, their service is good and their batteries are good so the runtimes are long (I have nothing to do with Extreme lights, just saying).

I have the ExtremeLights XP7, bought it 2 or 3 years ago. Basically their top of range light one or two generations ago.

https://www.extremelights.co.za/blogs/news/review-extreme-lights-xp3-and-xp7-bike-lights

• Configuration 7xCree XP-L LED
  • Light output 3000 lumens
  • Modes and runtime Boost: 3000L, 2hours Mid: 800L, 10 hours Low: 250L, 35 hours Pulse: 800L, 15 hours
  • Battery 5200mAh 8.4V
  • Weight 424 grams
  • Price R 2,250.00

3000 real lumens. It is quite a sight...

I got A light at solomos that says it puts out 1200 lumens , don't know if it does but the light that comes out of that thing is like A mini sun 

probably charged the bat about 20-30 times and its going strong , at full tilt the battery ( which some chinese pack of cells taped together ) last roughly and hour and half ( last slightly longer when its cold ) 

and if it does die , I'll by A proper battery pack or just buy another light for R800 

yes it cost me R800 and I feel like I got more than enough service out of it 

regarding lights I feel like buying something disposable is sometimes worth it 

I have lights similar (or the same) to the 1200 Lumens and the 3000 Lumens.

Like others have said, doubt they are any where near those ratings but they work well.

The battery in the 1st post is the smaller battery but it works. 

I used it for a 24hr event but can't remember how long I used the battery for.

On training rides it manages 2.5 - 3 hour rides without going flat.