Awesome trip.

Day 3. Nothing on that route except for the occasional remote farm house. You will join the P1661 between Rooiberg Pass and Assegaaibosch Pass. ( I think you travelled that last year)

Day 4.

Nothing for several kms leaving Van Wyksdorp but there is a small farming community at the junction where the R327 turns left to parallel the Langberg Mountains toward Herbertsdale. Klein Karoo Welgevonden Guest House (bit off the road though) is near there and a little while further on is JP Bredell Wines on the Langberg Halt Farm. Just before the final Pass to Herbertsdale is the Dwaars Rivier Country Getaway.

Hope this helps.

When do you plan to do this?

If I am in SA, I will happily bring water/ supplies on Day 3 or 4 if required. Any excuse for some Gravel Travel, either in the bakkie or on the motorcycle!

Thanks.

Day 3:

Yup, last year I went over Rooiberg from van Wyksdorp side to Oudtshoorn so I thought I'd switch it up and do the southern loop from Oudtshoorn. I seem to remember where the roads intersect, going to be a bit of climbing in the last section to van Wyksdorp..

I've got mounts for extra bottles so figure I'll just have to make sure I'm carrying at least 2.5-3 litres of liquids.

Day 4:

Great, sounds like a couple of emergency options for refueling if I need it - thanks.

Thanks for the support offer, much appreciated. I think I'm pretty sorted solo though, not that I'd pass up an ice cold Coke after 60km of day 3!

Bit last minute planning, going to utilise the long weekend now in 2 weekend's time. So day 1 will be Sat 21st.

Edited by NC_lurker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2, Montague Pass. Have your wits about you as you enter the bottom part of that pass from the N9 Outeniqua Pass, as there have been reports about some criminal behaviour around that spot. (I lived in George all my life until 7 years ago, so find out from locals closer to the time).

The pass itself is a beautiful climb, and there is a lekker coffee shop on the other side just before Herold, where you can refuel for the leg to Oudtshoorn.

Thanks. The coffee shop you're talking about, that's not the one that burnt down in the fires? Might be a little early for lunch, but there's nothing wrong with brunch :-)

Thanks. The coffee shop you're talking about, that's not the one that burnt down in the fires? Might be a little early for lunch, but there's nothing wrong with brunch :-)

aaah, ja, those fires. I forgot about those. Maybe you're lucky, and they rebuilt :)

Thanks, I was meant to do a recon of that section last time I was in Stilbaai but got lazy. Definitely sounds like the better option.

I wasn't sure if the Vleesbaai shop would be a viable option so thanks for the heads up.

Cool thread, I think you are now at the point where you can be the one handing out advice about riding in the Southern Cape to hubbers and not the other way around...

If I can add one thing - the turnoff to the coastal road to Gouritz that JohanDiv mentioned is easy to miss, last time I was there it's not signposted and almost looks like a normal farm road.

Thanks, I was meant to do a recon of that section last time I was in Stilbaai but got lazy. Definitely sounds like the better option.

I wasn't sure if the Vleesbaai shop would be a viable option so thanks for the heads up.

If you're doing this during school holidays, Hansie & Grietjie padstal will be open at Vleesbaai. Their food is great! Way better option than the Vleesbaai shop.

The old Tole House has burnt. Over the pass, just after you get onto the tar, there is a lovely coffee shop in the hamlet of Herold.

I will not be in SA when you do your trip so unable to drop the cold coke! However, there is the odd bit of assistance around. Man, I am a little envious. It is an awesome route for the well prepared solo cyclist!

Cool thread, I think you are now at the point where you can be the one handing out advice about riding in the Southern Cape to hubbers and not the other way around...

If I can add one thing - the turnoff to the coastal road to Gouritz that JohanDiv mentioned is easy to miss, last time I was there it's not signposted and almost looks like a normal farm road.

Don't think I've quite earned my Hub Expert badge, perhaps after this trip I'll put an application in ;-)

Thanks for the heads up. I suspect I might stay inland to save distance, bit concerned about starting my trip off with what could then be a 140km day. I'll play it by weather, scenic coastal route if there's a tailwind, inland if not.

If you're doing this during school holidays, Hansie & Grietjie padstal will be open at Vleesbaai. Their food is great! Way better option than the Vleesbaai shop.

Yup, actually one of the reasons I've picked the long weekend is to hopefully increase the likelihood of padstals being open.

I think you've sorted my day 1 lunch stop, H&G padstals it is! Thanks.

Something I learnt on my 2 little bike trips was is that there is loads of places and food stops out there. Google maps is excellent. If you zoom in enough it pretty much has every shop, store or accommodation unit on it. I look forward to your write up when you get back. I prefer the West Coast side myself. Have fun and ride safe.

Yup, Google Earth & maps are my go-to sources.

Unfortunately the routes I'm aiming for don't have a lot of roadside commercial activity, unless those ostriches really were trying to sell me stones ????

The old Tole House has burnt. Over the pass, just after you get onto the tar, there is a lovely coffee shop in the hamlet of Herold.

I will not be in SA when you do your trip so unable to drop the cold coke! However, there is the odd bit of assistance around. Man, I am a little envious. It is an awesome route for the well prepared solo cyclist!

Cool, Herold coffee shop for brunch it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1 underway. Busy having a snack at H&G, good tip - thanks.

Day 1 underway. Busy having a snack at H&G, good tip - thanks.

Awesome! I missed you with one day, was there yesterday..

NNM2019 Tour: Day 1 completed

Stilbaai - Vleesbaai - Groot Brak

117km, 1130m elev gain

With the dodgy weather forecast for last weekend I decided to postpone my departure till today. All good decisions tend to throw the odd curveball, today in the shape of 35deg+ temperatures!

So I knew today was going to be more of a transition ride than anything else, with long stretches of tar dominating. Notwithstanding it was still a cool experience.

Beautiful Proteas on the first section to the Gouritz rd, Blue Cranes foraging amongst the sheep in the next section, a well earned orange ice sucker at the N2 Caltex and my own private rd to Klein Brak.

Of course a long day on the gravel wouldn't be the same without being buzzed by the odd farmer coming past at 100km/hr...true to form they all waved... actually, maybe they thought I was a bug on their windshield and it was a swatting motion..

Looking forward to going over Montagu pass tomorrow, always fun exploring a new (old) pass.

Sunday however is looking interesting..if the weather forecast is correct I'll be swimming back to Stilbaai. Glad I packed my boardshorts.

On a final note, big thanks to the guys at bikeMob for some last-minute.com repair work on Sage to actually get me out here.e6bc5734c06127c81fccd948269ea6e6.jpg

Crossing the Gouritz, not quite the Rubicon but it signified that I was committed to the trip.

Edited by NC_lurker

Awesome! I missed you with one day, was there yesterday..

Are you based in Stilbaai? Pretty sure I've seen you on a few Strava segments in the area.