Garmin Repairs

Sidmouth

A sad tale that ended happily [emoji12]

Last night while wanting to check a route I had copied to my trusty Garmin 810 I've had for a few years I noticed it wouldn't power on. First thought ah maybe I forgot to switch it off (has happened before [emoji17]) so the battery was flat. Plugged it in to charge and there was still 55%...

After much f'ing and blinding and careful inspection I noticed that the little rubber button had perished and disintegrated. I could see the micro switch and could switch it on and off with a pen no problem so big sigh of relief there.

Having dealt with Garmin for previous repairs I knew I'd be in for at least 2800ZA rondts and not wanting to go that route decided to check on Google what options there were....

Found two, one was a bit of a hack with a thin piece of rubber and a piece of a BIC pen ink 'tube' that didn't seem like it would last long

The other option was to get a 3d button printed... Since my son has a printer sent him the file and an urgent request to print me one. He dropped a few in my post box this morning [emoji41]

Cleaned out the remnants of the old rubber button inserted the printed one and works like a charm, thinking it may not be so well protected from the elements I cut a small piece of an old tube and wrapped it round covering the button area.

Hopefully will be good for another few years!

Posting it here in case someone has one laying around with this issue or maybe it happens in the future... b287cd60631ae34279bdc2b5ba269376.jpgf6f385effae263de9f14ab69ef748e29.jpge72c77c6b303cebdce910424ad103fc8.jpg580fe069fb55c7fba4bfe951b66e1590.jpg981e00462112a600d7abd731a0c2ea0b.jpg

My mate upgraded to the latest 8xx series and they knocked him close to R7k for the upgrade. He had the same problem as you with the button that switch Les the device off.

Being a nice guy, I guess shouldn’t show him this post... [emoji3]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night while wanting to check a route I had copied to my trusty Garmin 810 I've had for a few years I noticed it wouldn't power on. First thought ah maybe I forgot to switch it off (has happened before [emoji17]) so the battery was flat. Plugged it in to charge and there was still 55%...

After much f'ing and blinding and careful inspection I noticed that the little rubber button had perished and disintegrated. I could see the micro switch and could switch it on and off with a pen no problem so big sigh of relief there.

Having dealt with Garmin for previous repairs I knew I'd be in for at least 2800ZA rondts and not wanting to go that route decided to check on Google what options there were....

Found two, one was a bit of a hack with a thin piece of rubber and a piece of a BIC pen ink 'tube' that didn't seem like it would last long

The other option was to get a 3d button printed... Since my son has a printer sent him the file and an urgent request to print me one. He dropped a few in my post box this morning [emoji41]

Cleaned out the remnants of the old rubber button inserted the printed one and works like a charm, thinking it may not be so well protected from the elements I cut a small piece of an old tube and wrapped it round covering the button area.

Posting it here in case someone has one laying around with this issue or maybe it happens in the future... b287cd60631ae34279bdc2b5ba269376.jpgf6f385effae263de9f14ab69ef748e29.jpge72c77c6b303cebdce910424ad103fc8.jpg580fe069fb55c7fba4bfe951b66e1590.jpg981e00462112a600d7abd731a0c2ea0b.jpg

Lol I did the same thing with my 800 seems like an inherent problem. I just used a plastic weld stick filed down to suit and sealed off with insulation tape.

fortunately my 1030's have not lasted long enough.... I get a new one every year courtesy of Garmin Warranty dept :( or :) i'm not sure

Edited by DieselnDust

Hi there Notso....

I have exactly the same problem - tried a rubber piece, but it didn't really work that well, so now make sure I have a key with me whenever I need to activate the 810. If you have any spares, I'd be happy to pay for one......red will even match my bike.... :mellow:

Hi there Notso....

I have exactly the same problem - tried a rubber piece, but it didn't really work that well, so now make sure I have a key with me whenever I need to activate the 810. If you have any spares, I'd be happy to pay for one......red will even match my bike.... :mellow:

PM sent

Hi there Notso....

It really is quite easy to make a button, any soft plastic or an eraser cut or filed to size will work. Just make sure that it protrudes by at least 1 mm which is the extent of the switch range . Here's an example of mine before I sealed it with some insulation tape.post-13836-0-30186100-1606919011_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Anyone know what the pay-in amount is when a 820 is found to be faulty (poor battery life 3,5hrs) and replacement is another 820

What is the amount to pay-in if upgrading to 830