Rapide 25mm 29r SL wheelset

Chris NewbyFraser

Just checked the clearances, looks fine i reckon? About 10mm between tyre edge and chain/seat stays. More on the fork. Thats with my current setup of the 22mm Big Nine Pro D rims and Conti Mountainkings 2,2 front and back. Should be fine, what do you reckon?

No issue at all

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your opinion on tyres: stick the 2.2 contis on the 30mm wheels or get something slightly wider, like an Ardent 2.3? i dont want tractor tyres...

your opinion on tyres: stick the 2.2 contis on the 30mm wheels or get something slightly wider, like an Ardent 2.3? i dont want tractor tyres...

Run the 2.2's until they need to be replaced. Then replace with something with a higher volume. 

i have more than 1 LBS within a Driver and a Wedge from my house...  :P

Unless you have lot's of cash to splash, if so support your local LBS by buying a snazzy new pair of tyres ;)

i have more than 1 LBS within a Driver and a Wedge from my house...  :P

So you can buy the tyres at one LBS and get the other to build up the wheels :)

haha... i get what you are trying to do. however it is my understanding that you order the wheels on Rapide's website and they basically arrive completely built with rim tape and all. all that I have to do is install tyres+sealant and then fit them...

I just remembered I have a set of bondrager tyres that I got for mahala from a fellow Hubber when I bought his SLX XT brake levers...

So you can buy the tyres at one LBS and get the other to build up the wheels :)

Edited by gemmerbal

• 2 months later...

pulled the trigger, Wayne says I'll have my wheels around Tuesday :)

I decided to go for the 25mm ones, basically I reasoned that Im not trail riding, mostly XC type riding. Also, he doesnt have stock of the 30mm hoops.

Excellent choice - you will not be sorry. 

I decided to go for the 25mm ones, basically I reasoned that Im not trail riding, mostly XC type riding. Also, he doesnt have stock of the 30mm hoops.

Nice! Super happy with mine.

I got the 30’s. If I got again I’d get the 25’s. Unless you running 2.4’s at least the 30’s are just too wide IMO. And saying that I’m now on 2.4’s on 25mm rims on my spark and love it.

I got the 30’s. If I got again I’d get the 25’s. Unless you running 2.4’s at least the 30’s are just too wide IMO. And saying that I’m now on 2.4’s on 25mm rims on my spark and love it.

Thanks you answered a question I had, I have 25s and wanted to know if they would work with 2.4 tyres

initially I wanted to go for the 30mm ones, but like I said, Im not a trail rider, I have a hardtail and most of my rides involve long days out with a little bit of singeltrack towards the end. Im too old and too scared to go jumping, so I reckon 25mm is going to be ok for me. I asked Wayne and he reckoned my choice sounds about right. Also consider that my current wheels are the stock Merida Comp 19mm rims, so I reckon the jump to 25mm is going to be LEKKKKKKERRRRRRRRRRRRR :)

Thanks you answered a question I had, I have 25s and wanted to know if they would work with 2.4 tyres

Although wider tyres are better with wider rims, they will work narrow rims. Back in 2005 I was riding 2.5" tyres on 19mm rims with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Ja im also around 105kgs. Had a big off late last year, no serious injuries but took a proper tumble and ive been nervy as hell eversince, so much so that i do most of my rides on tarmac on my donkey. Ive got Conti Mountainkings 2,2 on, very aggressive tyre in my view, coming from Maxxis Ardent, and the handling has been very twitchy, or maybe its just me being a nervous nelly. Either way, im sold on the 30mm Rapides. Just waiting to see what happens now at work, this is my bonus month and all, but after Cyril’s speech, it will be interesting to see what happens at work tomorrow. I was so looking forward to getting a new set of wheels, lets hope there’s still a chance!

I recently swopped out my Magic Marys 2.4 for the Conti MountainKings 2.2 for lockdown riding while we were in level 4. Hit the trails with them as soon as they opened under level 3, and my word was I surprised by them Grip like all hell. Fast and rail hard in the corners.

They were flipping noisy on the tarmac while pretending to be a roadie. Sounded like they were tearing themselves apart. Thought maybe it was just cos they were new.

But now on the trails, I am gobsmacked. Don't think I will be rushing back to the Magic Mary's in a hurry. Super impressed with them so far.

I'm waiting for Rapide to get stock in of their rims, then pulling the trigger on a pair of Rapide TR29-30 SL for my Rocky Mountain Instinct 950. Can't wait to upgrade from the stock SUNringle 20mm ID wheels. Been chatting to Wayne throughout lockdown and his service and advice is great. Only heard good things about Rapide from others.

I'm in the same dilemma deciding between 25 and 30mm ID.

I either run 2.25'' or 2.3'' tyres and thought 25mm is the way to go (currently have 21mm ID stock roval wheels)

BUT seeing the new Roval XC wheels coming out in 29mm ID and also tyre volumes increasing in XC riding, I'm wondering if 30mm will be the way to go in the future.

I'm a 75kg rider so strength isn't too much of a concern, I believe the 25mm ID Rapide's with 32 spokes front and back will be close to bomb proof for me.