New Helmet. What to buy?

RGB1

Helmets are incredibly personal things ITO fit, heat management, Aesthetics so take all the advice you get on here with caution. What works for others might not work for you.

I don't own one but I have used one for a day. If I was in the market for a new MTB lid it would be a Bontrager Rally. Without question.

2k for a Mips lid. AFAIK there's also a no questions asked full refund policy on fit. It's the most comfortable MTB lid I've ever used. A little bit on the warm side but for that type of helmet it's always going to be a little warmer than a light airy xc helmet. I'd give it 8/10. The only negative is the heat.

FWIW I currently have a Giant Rail. lighter than the Rally, no Mips, cooler that the rally but feels a little more budget. Some nice features like a goggle strap holder. 7/10

Before that. Bell Super. Nice looks, SSSSHHITTT fit, So hot you may as well pour lava on your head. I hated it. 1/10

But this is completely personal. I have several mates who love their Bell's

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got that Leatt convertible helmet, DBX 3 Enduro(?) and that thing is hot. Not in a Kardashiah 'that's hot' way but a sweat in eyes in the wanter type of way. I'm not a big sweater and I'm not looking forward to summer rides. It was all fan boy, 'local guys doing good' at the start but I'm not impressed with the build quality (loads of people have had the catches where the chin bar connect break), the customer service, the retention strap is not great either and to be honest I'm not sure it's a good enough open face option. Chances are I'm going to have to buy a cooler helmet for summer and then if I'm doing that I might as well have a Fox Proframe as a dedicated full face because the chin bar protection on the leatt is no where near that of a proper FF. 

Woah careful there boy!! We're only allowed to blindly praise Leatt stuff.

Yeah, have I talked about the airflow pro knee pads???

I've got that Leatt convertible helmet, DBX 3 Enduro(?) and that thing is hot. Not in a Kardashiah 'that's hot' way but a sweat in eyes in the wanter type of way. I'm not a big sweater and I'm not looking forward to summer rides. It was all fan boy, 'local guys doing good' at the start but I'm not impressed with the build quality (loads of people have had the catches where the chin bar connect break), the customer service, the retention strap is not great either and to be honest I'm not sure it's a good enough open face option. Chances are I'm going to have to buy a cooler helmet for summer and then if I'm doing that I might as well have a Fox Proframe as a dedicated full face because the chin bar protection on the leatt is no where near that of a proper FF. 

Just my 2c...

While the DBX 3.0 Enduro's chin bar is no where near that of a proper FF, Neither is the Proframe, Super, Super 2R, Super 3R. I can't comment on others like the switchblade or Super DH and any others I have not mentioned as I have not ridden with them.

A FF is a FF, a half shell is a half shell, a convertible chin bar/half shell #Enduro lid is somewhere in between but by no means a FF, ever. Yet, fit for purpose.

Just saying. 

*All of the above are of the opinion.

Any reviews on the POC trabec or tectal regarding airflow and customer service. Really like the styling and I've heard the fit is great. Quite a few online websites have also rated the giro chronicle very highly

Just my 2c...

While the DBX 3.0 Enduro's chin bar is no where near that of a proper FF, Neither is the Proframe, Super, Super 2R, Super 3R. I can't comment on others like the switchblade or Super DH and any others I have not mentioned as I have not ridden with them.

A FF is a FF, a half shell is a half shell, a convertible chin bar/half shell #Enduro lid is somewhere in between but by no means a FF, ever. Yet, fit for purpose.

Just saying. 

*All of the above are of the opinion.

100%, that was my point. If the convertible isn't working at either of the parts that are supposed to make it a good option for those don't eat two dedicated helmets then it's time for two dedicated helmets. 

The Proframe is a FF though unlike the other convertibles and I used that as just one example of a FF insert any model. Are you saying the Fox isn't up to scratch and shouldn't have the DH and chin bar rigidity certification? Would be interested incase I go that route. 

100%, that was my point. If the convertible isn't working at either of the parts that are supposed to make it a good option for those don't eat two dedicated helmets then it's time for two dedicated helmets. 

The Proframe is a FF though unlike the other convertibles and I used that as just one example of a FF insert any model. Are you saying the Fox isn't up to scratch and shouldn't have the DH and chin bar rigidity certification? Would be interested incase I go that route. 

Just enforcing that this is opinion based.  :ph34r:

The entire Proframe is made in the same/similar fashion as a half shell. By injecting EPS (expanded polystyrene) into a thin plastic "shell". While there is nothing wrong with EPS, as it is designed to absorb impact (and Full face lids use EPS), I just feel that the "shell" is not as thick/strong as a FF with a thick polycarb/Fibre glass/carbon fibre (etc.) shell. Now don't get me wrong, a polycarb/Fibre glass/carbon fibre shell is not indestructible, I just feel it is thicker/more rigid than the thin plastic EPS injected shell of a half shell. I have seen more helmets with the construction of a half shell split in two or more pieces than I have seen a FF split. That being said, I have seen the chin bar on a FF with a carbon shell implode once  :mellow: .

We could probably debate all of this for a lifetime, more than likely because we all have our opinions in what feels safe to us.

So to conclude my opinion... I lump the proframe into the same kettle of fish with the convertible #Enduro lids. All awesome in their own rights and definitely offer a good level of protection, but not the same level of protection as a "full face". #opinion 

Edited by Nofearnofun

Just enforcing that this is opinion based.  :ph34r:

The entire Proframe is made in the same/similar fashion as a half shell. By injecting EPS (expanded polystyrene) into a thin plastic "shell". While there is nothing wrong with EPS, as it is designed to absorb impact (and Full face lids use EPS), I just feel that the "shell" is not as thick/strong as a FF with a thick polycarb/Fibre glass/carbon fibre (etc.) shell. Now don't get me wrong, a polycarb/Fibre glass/carbon fibre shell is not indestructible, I just feel it is thicker/more rigid than the thin plastic EPS injected shell of a half shell. I have seen more helmets with the construction of a half shell split in two or more pieces than I have seen a FF split. That being said, I have seen the chin bar on a FF with a carbon shell implode once  :mellow: .

We could probably debate all of this for a lifetime, more than likely because we all have our opinions in what feels safe to us.

So to conclude my opinion... I lump the proframe into the same kettle of fish with the convertible #Enduro lids. All awesome in their own rights and definitely offer a good level of protection, but not the same level of protection as a "full face". #opinion 

That is really helpful and makes a lot more sense. Does seem if you're looking at a FF and just going by the info / numbers you'd be adding the Proframe / Endura with the other 'real' FFs without really considering it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Opinions please. Which helmet would you choose between either the Leatt DBX 3.0 All Mountain or POC Tectal Race?

Opinions please. Which helmet would you choose between either the Leatt DBX 3.0 All Mountain or POC Tectal Race?

POC if price is not an issue

Not locally available that I know of, but the TLD A1 and A2 are not bad. My A1 has a lovely paint job and while it is a bit hot, it fits beautifully and is reasonably light. The visor is also good - 2 useful positions. Were on sale at CRC not so long ago.