• Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks

Seeing the surgeon on Wednesday.

Might get an idea when to ride again but will get a second Hub opinion

Hehehe

Chirp of the day.  :lol:

Get 100% soon, Bloukrans

I can add another one on Saturday. Friend hit a car at the Llandudno traffic lights coming down from Suikers. The same place a lady was T-boned a few months ago. My friend had right of way through the green light, going straight. Toyota Tazz turned straight in front of him (also had a green light but was turning into Llandudno). Friend managed to slow a bit and skid sideways into front of car so he's fine. Bike not so fine. Guy in car said he saw him (there were three riders) but thought they were turning...

Moral of the story?  Slow down at that spot (and many other similar spots) and assume the car will turn. Might save you broken bones. 

by the way, I live in Sea Point. Main road is an absolute dog show. Two very narrow lanes, cars everywhere, people too. There's actually no need to ride it most times - Beach Rd is far safer and no taxis. 

Not a criticism, just an observation that might help someone reading this.

Thanks

Might get an idea when to ride again but will get a second Hub opinion ????

We were discussing if your wrists were from riding or not :P

Like the coloured casts :P

Taxi hit & run, passengers laughing while you lie in the road - possibly dying.

So much for humanity :-(

by the way, I live in Sea Point. Main road is an absolute dog show. Two very narrow lanes, cars everywhere, people too. There's actually no need to ride it most times - Beach Rd is far safer and no taxis. 

Not a criticism, just an observation that might help someone reading this.

Only ride it as far as Bootlegger :P

There was also an accident on Saturday morning around 8am outside Blouberg on the new cycling lane towards Melkbosstrand.

By the time we passed, the police and emergency services were already there.

By my guestimate I would say that a car came out of the complex gate and drove into the female cyclist as she was going passed.

Not sure how serious.

I hope that the cyclist is okay.

However, there are signs up at every complex crossing stating that the vehicle traffic has right of way. Not blaming anyone, as I was not there, but I always slow down and take a look to see who's coming, both from the main road' side as well as from people exiting the complex in question. I have seen plenty nincompoops on that road. Better to be the "responsible" one rather than rely on every road user complying with road safety etiquette.

However, there are signs up at every complex crossing stating that the vehicle traffic has right of way. Not blaming anyone, as I was not there, but I always slow down and take a look to see who's coming, both from the main road' side as well as from people exiting the complex in question. I have seen plenty nincompoops on that road. Better to be the "responsible" one rather than rely on every road user complying with road safety etiquette.

Good point Slow down completely and be very careful. I live in one of those complex and Saw this coming. Hope the cycles is alright. 

The drivers just look right and then turn Left not seeing cycles coming from Big bay toward Melkbos.

That's why I run now, sad but I can't risk my life on the road. 

I also often see such close misses while driving and the car in front doesn't pass nicely. 

There was also an accident on Saturday morning around 8am outside Blouberg on the new cycling lane towards Melkbosstrand.

By the time we passed, the police and emergency services were already there.

By my guestimate I would say that a car came out of the complex gate and drove into the female cyclist as she was going passed.

Not sure how serious.

The lady is fine, just badly bruised and sore. No broken bones. Bike has a front wheel buckle but otherwise ok (hey, this is the hub, if I don't report on the condition of the bike too, *someone* will ask :)).

She's a friend of my brother's daughter, here on holiday. She was second in line of a group of four cyclists. The driver wanting to leave the estate waited for the first in the group to pass and then inexplicably pulled out in front of the second in line. She did not even have a chance to brake. The driver was a young guy on his way to write an exam. All ended relatively well with lots of lessons learned all round. 

I agree that this was an accident waiting to happen. The spot that the car must wait before crossing the bike path and turning into the road is too far back to check for oncoming traffic. They have to pull into the bike path to see properly. The bike path only has a yield sign painted on it and most cyclists just breeze through without slowing.

The solution there would be to trim/remove the bushes obstructing the driver's view and also to change the yield sign to a stop sign on the bike path. 

The lady is fine, just badly bruised and sore. No broken bones. Bike has a front wheel buckle but otherwise ok (hey, this is the hub, if I don't report on the condition of the bike too, *someone* will ask :)).

She's a friend of my brother's daughter, here on holiday. She was second in line of a group of four cyclists. The driver wanting to leave the estate waited for the first in the group to pass and then inexplicably pulled out in front of the second in line. She did not even have a chance to brake. The driver was a young guy on his way to write an exam. All ended relatively well with lots of lessons learned all round.

I agree that this was an accident waiting to happen. The spot that the car must wait before crossing the bike path and turning into the road is too far back to check for oncoming traffic. They have to pull into the bike path to see properly. The bike path only has a yield sign painted on it and most cyclists just breeze through without slowing.

The solution there would be to trim/remove the bushes obstructing the driver's view and also to change the yield sign to a stop sign on the bike path.

Cyclist don't stop at red robots...... How's a stop sign going to make them stop [emoji6]

We also had an incident last week where 2 of our club members was struct by a car in Edenvale. The car approached them head on and they got hit. 1 is still in ICU and other one already out and about

Good to know as I didn't know this!!

I will look out in future and try be more vigilant.

My assumption was that I had right of way in the cycling lane and the car had to stop and wait due to a STOP sign.

On another note, who has right of way on the cycling lane around Sunset Beach?

If I'm going straight ahead at the traffic lights and there's a car (heading same direction to Table View) wanting to make a left turn. Do I as cyclist have to stop for the car to make his turn or do I still have right of way because I'm heading straight? 

Thanks

Might get an idea when to ride again but will get a second Hub opinion

:clap: It is clear that you didn't break your funny bone  :clap:

Good to know as I didn't know this!!

I will look out in future and try be more vigilant.

My assumption was that I had right of way in the cycling lane and the car had to stop and wait due to a STOP sign.

On another note, who has right of way on the cycling lane around Sunset Beach?

If I'm going straight ahead at the traffic lights and there's a car (heading same direction to Table View) wanting to make a left turn. Do I as cyclist have to stop for the car to make his turn or do I still have right of way because I'm heading straight? 

Good Question! Cyclist have right of way as there is a sign up but 9 out of 10 the cars just turn left in front of cyclist. 

So you have to ride your bicycle like no one can see you ever in this country.

Archived