Self service... it’s trending

EatPrayRide

Good morning fellow hubbers,

So I’m slowly but surely collecting all the basic tools needed for a home work shop. However I do not have a proper workshop stand yet. What stand can you recommend and witch are best value for money? I’d even look at a secondhand stand if you know of any worth the buc.

For years I used a display stand that holds the stays at the rear wheel. Works well, altough the bike can fall over. For washing I would remove both wheels, put the rear on the stand and fork on a basket.

Earlier this year I got the Chris Willemse one, and it works well.It can fold up quite small and is very stable. Only thing is the clamp is a bit big for my road bike and oddly shaped for my mtb. I just wrap a sponge around the frame to compensate for this.

and witch are best value for money?

Witches are generally excellent value for money...  They can fix your bike with a few smart words.

Good morning fellow hubbers,

So I’m slowly but surely collecting all the basic tools needed for a home work shop. However I do not have a proper workshop stand yet. What stand can you recommend and witch are best value for money? I’d even look at a secondhand stand if you know of any worth the buc.

For years I used a display stand that holds the stays at the rear wheel. Works well, altough the bike can fall over. For washing I would remove both wheels, put the rear on the stand and fork on a basket.

Earlier this year I got the Chris Willemse one, and it works well.It can fold up quite small and is very stable. Only thing is the clamp is a bit big for my road bike and oddly shaped for my mtb. I just wrap a sponge around the frame to compensate for this.

Some bike shops clamp the seatpost while working on the bike, guess there are examples of a clamp that damages the top tube, especially if the bike gets an accidental hard knock while clamped on the tube.

A seatpost is cheaper than a frame repair.

Can you recommend a tool set or know of someone selling theirs?

If you don't have a huge budget I would reccommend building up a tool set over time focusing on quality over quantity.

I would suggest tarting with a good set of allen keys, torx keys, and a torque wrench, some cable cutters, then build from there as you tackle different parts of the bike.

You can also DIY lots of tools like a bleed kit for example - some syringes and plastic tubing from a hardware store is cheaper than a kit and works just as well. Things like chainwhips can also be made yourself though that would be more because you want to, than to save money as they are quite cheap.

Been building my toolkit up for a bit more than a year now and it's nearly complete with the exception of things lioe bearing presses and suspension tools (MRP has some proprietary stuff) which I am happy the leave to the shops.

Buy the best tools you can afford, it pays off in the long term with respect to not damaging parts on the bike and they tend to last much longer too.

I have built many a bikes by hanging ropes from a rafter in the garage and then hanging the bike off this. It works, but I also bought a CWC stand a good few years ago and this does certainly make a huge difference in comfort when building up or servicing a bike.

Add to your list a pack of latex / surgical gloves. Wearing these while working on the bike means you can slip them off if you need to take a call, see to the kids or wife and allows you to open the fridge with clean hands when you get a beer or coldrink to keep you "hydrated" while building your bike. These are typically around R100 for a box from Diskem.