DJR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Build Detail

Frame & Fork:

Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1993 model year, Size 59, Team Motorola colours, lugged steel, Columbus SLX tubing, frame touch up of original paint, new clear coat. Fork re-sprayed to match blue of frame.

Wheels:
Rims: Mavic Open 4 CD, 36 hole
Front Hub: Shimano Dura Ace 7403 (1991 to 1996), 36 spoke
Rear Hub: Shimano Dura Ace 7403 (1991 to 1996), 36 spoke, 8-speed, Hyperglide
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Continental Gatorskin, wire bead, 28 mm rear, 32 mm front
Tubes: Kenda

Drivetrain:
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace, Downtube 7400 (1985 to 1988), 6-speed, friction
Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7402 (1989 to 1996), 8 speed, short cage
Front derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 (1996), 9 speed
Crankset: Shimano Dura Ace 7402 (1988 to 1993), square taper, 52/39 teeth, 170mm
Bottom bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano 600, toe cages
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide, 8-speed, 11/28 teeth
Chain: Shimano 8-speed, quick link

Brakes:
Brake levers: Shimano Dura Ace 7402 (1990 to 1998), aero
Brake callipers: Shimano Dura Ace 7403 (1991 to 1996), dual pivot

Cockpit:
Headset: Stronglight, 1 inch, threaded
Stem: Shimano Dura Ace 7400 (1988 to 1998), hidden bolt, 110 mm
Handle bars: 3T, 40 cm
Handle bar tape: Cinelli Kaleidoscope, black

Seat:
Seatpost: Dura Ace 27.2 mm x 250 mm
Saddle: No Name, “Made in Italy”, black, refurbished by Velobrien

Bottle Cages: Arundel, stainless steel

The First Cannibal Ride

Keep in mind that this is a bike that, 25 years ago, won a Grand Tour  and a world Championship. It was ridden by the fast and infamous. How would it treat me? I decided to take the Merckx for an outing along the Atlantic coast and included Cape Towns' own cobbled district - the V&A Waterfront and the Sea Point Promenade. Where better to take a bike that was made for the famous Belgian cobbles and races of Europe?

First impressions:

I know Merckcx is well known for their geometry that is supposed to be so well balanced that it translate to bike stability even on rough terrain. That is certainly true of the Corsa! It is the easiest road bike to sit up straight and ride hands-free. The front wheel just keeps tracking and all you have to do to steer, is to look where you want to go and it will take you there!  I was totally surprised by how comfortable it felt right from the start. The ride is so completely predictable that I wondered if it was not going to be unresponsive and slow. So, I threw it around a bit to get around manhole covers and bumps, it reacted like a true racehorse. Up the first  little hill I stood up and kicked hard and it accelerated with ease. At speed it corners extremely well, but I think the big rubber helped as well. It certainly took the rough Promenade cobbles in its' stride. The indexed Shimano Dura Ace downtube shifters were an eye opener to me (I'm a Shimano newby). They shift extremely positively, click, click and it dials what you ordered. I can easily understand how the 7400 series is what got Shimano onto the Grand Tour podiums. For a quarter century old groupset, it functioned flawlessly.

So, the verdict is great. I can easily see the Cannibal taking me to the next Eroica in style! Just some training will have to be added!

3 Rides in 3 Days - I'm suffering from a bad good dose of New-Bike Fever like I haven't for anything other than a Colnago with Campagnolo!

Wow!

This Eddy Merckx is a magic carpet ride on rails! I'm NEVER EVER going to buy skinny road tyres again and I'll keep those I have for easy short rides. Now that I've spent a little more distance on it, some further thoughts:

1. It will make a supreme bike for really long rides. The Columbus frame absorbs a lot of road vibration and so does the 28/32 mm tyre combination.

2. The ride position is a little more upright than most modern pure racers. My neck and back like that.

3. It descends and corners at speed like it is glued. This is the road weapon for closet downhill racers!

4. It is not as light as I thought it would be, a bit under 10 kg on my bathroom scale, but it doesn't feel heavy on the road. Interesting!

5. I'll have to undo the handlebar tape to put an extra layer under it to make it more comfortable on the hands for long bumpy rides. Why did I ever forget about that?

6. It certainly doesn't feel like a quarter century old bike. 

post-17716-0-44992100-1540791244_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have now used the Merckx for my daily commute for 2 months and still love riding it every day. It is extremely comfortable and very forgiving going through potholes, over pavements and even over dirt bits. I know, I know, how can I commit a racehorse that once ran in the Grand Tours to be a commuter? My only excuse is that life is too valuable to waste it on riding cart horses.

post-17716-0-50785900-1549788422_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I should add a little update?

I'm glad to report that the Cannibal got to ride Eroica SA, but sadly, not with me in the saddle. Two weeks before, I had a rather nasty crash riding Red Riding Hood and broke my shoulder. When I woke up after the operation, the first thing young Daniel wanted to know was whether he could use the Merckx for Eroica? Of course! 

He rode with the rest of teams DJR and Beattbox (aka Pain or Shine, when we collaborate) and reported that the Merckx performed flawlessly. Hopefully next year I'll be able to see for myself. For now the Canniball is parked on the indoor trainer, because that  is all I'm allowed to ride for another month.

post-17716-0-30422300-1553799223_thumb.jpg