Will you buy local?

Bakkies

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a numbers game but damn with the kind of profits that are put on non local there should almost be room to maneuver.

(btw does anybody know any numbers on the profits)

Edited by porqui

Csixx quality is poor.  I snapped two Csixx chainring bolts on my old MTB SS.

As far i know Csixx dont make chainring bolts, besides chainring bolts normaly snap when they are over torqued. Their chainrings however are great and good value. Stating that their quality is poor because of snapping 2 chainring bolts is a bit of a reach  

Our market is too small to manufacture competitively.

Tooling costs and labour throws us out before the first prototype has even been manufactured.

it's a numbers game.

you are right here. We used to make a certain product that we sold for a very very small amount to the customer.

Basically just breaking even with a small margin of profit...just to keep machines and staff busy.

Now it looks like the customer is ordering the parts from China at almost one sixth of what we can make them for....

Now it looks like the customer is ordering the parts from China at almost one sixth of what we can make them for....

And still selling at the same price.

It is a numbers game but damn with the kind of profits that are put on non local there should almost be room to maneuver.

(btw does anybody know any numbers on the profits)

Depends from brand to brand, and importer to importer, but some I have seen goes to 60% on protective wear.

Now, if you are to source raw materials, set up tooling and a production line, and still be within that 60%, by all means go for it. 

It becomes tricky when you need to amortize the cost of machines and tools, and you only manage to sell say 1000 "slx -level" components when your tooling costs quickly amount to R1m plus, excluding machines, rent, labor packaging shipping etc.

Well, you get 'Made in Seff êfrika' and you get 'Made in South Africa'

post-29544-0-07412400-1541404535_thumb.jpg

post-29544-0-36266700-1541404534_thumb.png

Edited by Pants Boy

Carbon Pygas getting made in SA now... now that is some seriously cool news  :thumbup:  :thumbup: 

Don't forget your local cycling clothing manufacturers as well  :whistling:

Who will be manufacturing for them, if you know?

As far i know Csixx dont make chainring bolts, besides chainring bolts normaly snap when they are over torqued. Their chainrings however are great and good value. Stating that their quality is poor because of snapping 2 chainring bolts is a bit of a reach  

https://ridewithzeal.co.za/products/csixx-chainring-bolts-blue

We have a couple of products in our range which are not specifically bike parts, but are cycling related accessories that we manufacture and/or use local partners to manufacture in South Africa.

ASS MAGIC Chamois Cream - Cape Town

Cadence Nutrition - Cape Town & Joburg

Rapstrapz - Joburg

pOcpac phone pouches - Cape Town

There are a number of benefits to us using local suppliers but not without their challenges too.