The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is truly amazing, and by amazing I mean I cannot fathom its factually accurate....

A few sites quote 15,000l of water per 1kg beef so a 200g patty is around 3,000 litres of water.

Wheat is 1,500l of water per 1kg wheat.

I'm trying to fathom that myself. Sounds unbelievable.

Surely most of that water is put back into the environment in some way.... If those numbers were correct the earth would be a dry husk be now.

Edited by Eldron

This is truly amazing, and by amazing I mean I cannot fathom its factually accurate....

Wow that`s incredible!

A few sites quote 15,000l of water per 1kg beef so a 200g patty is around 3,000 litres of water.

Wheat is 1,500l of water per 1kg wheat.

I'm trying to fathom that myself. Sounds unbelievable.

Surely most of that water is put back into the environment in some way.... If those numbers were correct the earth would be a dry husk be now.

From birth to death, a cow is using so much water. Drinking, feed as well as the water for feed and use on the farm.

Cattle farming is a f*cking blight on our planet.

From birth to death, a cow is using so much water. Drinking, feed as well as the water for feed and use on the farm.

Cattle farming is *one of the many many* f*cking blights on our planet.

Fixed!

*cough* easy fix *cough* plant-based is the future *cough*

Is Fisherman’s Friend vegan?

I'm with you on this one but there are many many ways to reduce our carbon and water footprint. Focusing too much on one at the expense of others is not a great idea.

I'm with you on this one but there are many many ways to reduce our carbon and water footprint. Focusing too much on one at the expense of others is not a great idea.

I agree. Fully.

The thing is though that many folks can’t buy Teslas or take their home off the grid. Choosing a veggie burger over a cow flesh burger is just so easy.

I just want people to start moving along the spectrum.

I agree. Fully.

The thing is though that many folks can’t buy Teslas or take their home off the grid. Choosing a veggie burger over a cow flesh burger is just so easy.

I just want people to start moving along the spectrum.

100%!

The problem I have is that to 99% of people a ton of CO2 or acidification or eutrophication is just science fiction and lets be honest, is too easy to skip over. These facts need to be broken down into more immediately relatable things. Perhaps this is why the other delivery method is the shock n awe tactic of abattoirs and spilling guts. Which too is easily dismissed as just that. 

It'll take time to educate. Habits and lifestyles are not easily changed overnight by people who are not otherwise encouraged to make a difference.

This holiday season when you guys drive to Cape Town and you go through the Karoo , please stop at a farmer there and explain to him he must stop this sheep farming nonsense and plant some soybeans ,because those sheep require WAY too much water .

Point I am trying to make is this :

Only around a third of all agricultural land in the world is arable ( can be ploughed ) . The rest is too dry or wet or rocky or hilly or just not suitable to plant crops on . People therefore farm with animals on that land . Even here where I stay in the Vredefort Koepel there are very few farms that can be used for crops . 

So please tell me what should happen to the around 64% of Agricultural land in the world if everyone should stop using animal based foods ? 

Edited by Milkman

I have absolutely no problem with people choosing to be  Vegan or vegetarian , or any other "diet" they want to be on . Everything in moderation of course .

If those vegan's want everyone else to be vegan as well though, then they should at least be able to come up with answers for the billions of people that cannot afford or are not able to have access to the means to be vegan .

The vast majority of people in the world eat what they can afford and what's available .

We are a very small minority that are privileged to pick and choose what we want to eat !