The Veganism Thread

Odinson

"However in several large studies from Taiwan a vegan diet was not associated with favourable cardio-metabolic risk factors compared to the control diets."

This quote was from the study YOU quoted.

One of the things you learn when you study for a DEGREE is to read the complete study. Not just snippets that suit your religion.

When you do a masters degree you learn to quote only review articles and editorials. Otherwise the professors will rip you apart.

A meta analysis is also worth it. Especially if you read the "However" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaAytiB2bM

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, everyone, just relax. I have a PhD. No need to argue over anything. Just let me know what the question is, and I will give you the definitive answer.

Oh, the irony.

“The lack of difference in risk factors between vegans and omnivores in studies from Taiwan may reflect differences in the diet of vegans and/or controls compared to other populations.[64] Vegans included in the studies from Taiwan may adhere less strictly to a vegan diet. In these studies [18,28,35,39] the definition of vegan was less restrictive and was defined as consumption of non-animal based food 3 times a day, 30 days a month. When a subgroup analysis was done in restrictive compared to less restrictive definition of vegan in Asia, there was no difference in the result. This suggests that other factors may explain difference between Asian and non-Asian studies. For example, the diet pattern for omnivores in Asia may include less animal product than for non-Asian countries, so the differences between omnivores and vegans may be less. Diets across Asia are diverse, but there were no studies from other Asian countries which met inclusion criteria. Based on these observations the subgroup analysis which excludes Asian studies may provide a more reliable estimate of effects of a strictly vegan diet compared to a omnivorous diet in non-Asian countries.”

On your second point, have a gander at what sits at the top of the hierarchy of evidence.

Internet gold. Tries to school thehub on not reading the entire article then throws in some babble about defending a thesis all whilst missing a corollary.

That's even better than spelling nazis making spelling mistakes whilst correcting spelling mistakes.

The Guardian chiming in on Veganuary! 

5616.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

As the hangovers kick in and promises are made at the end of the festive season, more and more people are committing to making a lifestyle change that may require stronger willpower than, say, going to the gym more than once in the first month of the year.

Record numbers have signed up to “Veganuary” and will try living on a plant-based diet, at least for a few weeks. With vegan options becoming cheaper, and more widespread and convenient, organisers of the initiative believe 2019 will be the year of the vegan.

Since the movement started five years ago, participant numbers have more than doubled each year and a total of more than 250,000 people in 193 countries have signed up. Rich Hardy, head of campaigns at Veganuary, said that on Sunday alone 14,000 people pledged to go vegan for the first month of 2019 – a rate of one every six seconds.

“In 2018 there hasn’t been a week that has gone by without veganism hitting the headlines, whether it is a magazine editor being fired or Waitrose launching a new range of products,” Hardy said. “Vegan products are getting a lot better and it is becoming a lot more convenient to have a tasty plant-based diet.”

He suggested stark warnings from scientists about the environmental cost of meat had persuaded many people who would not previously have considered veganism to give it a try.

In May, scientists behind the most comprehensive analysis to date of the damage farming does to the planet declared that avoiding meat and dairy products was the single biggest thing an individual could do for the environment.

Joseph Poore, of Oxford University, who led the research, said: “A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth – not just greenhouse gases but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use. It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car.”

According to the supermarket chain Waitrose, a third of UK consumers say they have deliberately reduced the amount of meat they eat or removed it from their diet entirely. One in eight Britons are now vegetarian or vegan, and a further 21% say they are flexitarian – where a largely vegetable-based diet is supplemented occasionally with meat.

Chris Packham is among the celebrities to sign up to this year’s Veganuary, while the Tory MP Andrea Jenkyns and Green party peer Jenny Jones have joined the ranks and the Labour MP Kerry McCarthy, a committed vegan, has called on other parliamentarians to take the pledge.

Many regard 2018 as the year that veganism moved out of the realms of counter-culture and into the mainstream. Hardy said that while vegans and veganism were sometimes portrayed as judgmental and exclusive, movements like Veganuary aimed to be as fun and inclusive as possible.

Like all New Year resolutions, sticking to veganism can be tricky, but Hardy urged those who try it not to worry unduly. “If you fall off the wagon, you fall off the wagon,” he said. “Just pick yourself up, remind yourself why you signed up to the pledge in the first place and start afresh. It is meant to be fun and enjoyable.”

Edited by Odinson

@swiss...I opened a can of worms.....and then closed it again! Seems you saw a few leak out :)

Edited by blondeonabike

@swiss...I opened a can of worms.....and then closed it again! Seems you saw a few leak out :)

Missed them, thought you were writing in snoopy bird (Woodstock) chirps.

@ Imploder..

How have the first few vegan days gone?

LEKKA! 

To be honest the avoiding dairy stuff is a headache. I do yogurt with fruit for breakfast and jam and cheese sarmies for lunch.

My biggest challenge is always going to be dinner. I don't think I've ever had a meat free home cooked dinner. EVER......

until last night. :)

We did this:

https://www.nutreats.co.za/recipe/vegan-instant-pot-curry/

Which was pretty yum.

Tonight it'll be this:

https://veganuary.com/recipes/avocado-fresh-tomato-garlic-basil-sauce-pasta/

But yeah, its going good so far.

LEKKA! 

To be honest the avoiding dairy stuff is a headache. I do yogurt with fruit for breakfast and jam and cheese sarmies for lunch.

My biggest challenge is always going to be dinner. I don't think I've ever had a meat free home cooked dinner. EVER......

until last night. :)

We did this:

https://www.nutreats.co.za/recipe/vegan-instant-pot-curry/

Which was pretty yum.

Tonight it'll be this:

https://veganuary.com/recipes/avocado-fresh-tomato-garlic-basil-sauce-pasta/

But yeah, its going good so far.

Noice! 

That curry looks f*cking lekker. Would probably just use brown/wild rice to make it. 

Does anyone here use any of those fancy pants electric pressure cookers? I eat a lot of canned legumes, so could possibly cut down on my can trash by cooking my own legumes. 

Noice! 

That curry looks f*cking lekker. Would probably just use brown/wild rice to make it. 

Does anyone here use any of those fancy pants electric pressure cookers? I eat a lot of canned legumes, so could possibly cut down on my can trash by cooking my own legumes. 

Nice review of the instant Pot here, is this what you are referring too?

https://www.nutreats.co.za/instant-pot-review/

Noice!

Have you ever considered the fact that just like cows create a lot of methane and that negatively affects the world in terms of greenhouse gases your excessive legume eating and concurrent flatulence may be offsetting any benefit your veganism may have for the world at large??

Also Arborio rice is an awsome variety of rice and makes just about anything more palatable, especially bean/chilli dishes.

Have you ever considered the fact that just like cows create a lot of methane and that negatively affects the world in terms of greenhouse gases your excessive legume eating and concurrent flatulence may be offsetting any benefit your veganism may have for the world at large??

Also Arborio rice is an awsome variety of rice and makes just about anything more palatable, especially bean/chilli dishes.

Dude, my gas is on point. Like, seriously. So no worries there.

Besides, if a vegan is outfarting a ~800kg ruminant with four stomachs, then their fartprint is the least of their worries. You'll probably prolapse your rectum before that happens.  :w00t:

Mmm. Risotto rice. 

Edited by Odinson